Global Depression?

Del Boy

Well, here we are in the eye of the storm ; suffering global depression we are told.

So how goes it? Anyone here hit yet, anyone directly affected so far? Are any of the help packages working for you or friends ?

Any early signs of easing or on the contrary?

I'm feeling kind of blue today, I'd say the depression has reached my area.

Seriously though I'm seeing some smaller businesses closing and more houses for sale where I live.

Its really not that bad..its bad but not depression...I go out and every resturant is jam packed, stores are full and people are still spending mula to have fun....depression no" kinda bad yes" besides, its not like WWI and II where people had to stand in long lines to eat...come on folks things will get better :)

Exactly what sky said.

My family is tight on money, but that's only because dad just retired, and hasn't found another job yet. We're not really feeling any effects though, apparently, our town is weathering the storm better than most places around the country.

Well, here we are in the eye of the storm ; suffering global depression we are told.

So how goes it? Anyone here hit yet, anyone directly affected so far? Are any of the help packages working for you or friends ?

Any early signs of easing or on the contrary?

Everything is going well here, unemployment has barely risen (0.3%) which always happens when school restarts anyway, house prices have remained stable, my salary has increased 15% and we are hiring upwards of 100 people for new projects.

I think the last report I read had economic activity down about 3% which isn't huge, the worst case scenario for us is if locals start to believe a world financial report which claims our economy is at greater risk than many others but it was written about 8 months ago and also said that around now economic activity would be down about 20% so most people have laughed it off.

My over all impression is that the worlds economy while not thriving is not in as bad a shape as a number of vested interests may like us to believe.

Interesting, guys. I hope we get a lot more info from people, because we all know that confidence is a major factor, and situations can change so rapidly accordingly. I hear whispers of growing confidence at the top, and feelings that internationally things are just showing signs of leaning our way; it would be a tragedy if we missed the chances to grab the moment.

To hear of hunger being suffered within our strong 'western' economies seems an outrage to me.

So please let us hear of the realities as they surface in your experiences.

Yeah. Same thing I'm feeling as well.
Though it is harder to find employment (not as many slots), overall every day life seems about the same.
Apparently it's the industries that are hard hit. A lot of companies aren't able to get paid for their contracts/services on time. I guess it's because it's harder to get credit now.

Well, my Grandparents may lose their health coverage and pension if General Motors goes under. My family has been forced to make a number of cutbacks as well... limits on travel, etc.

Yes, that's a tragedy. Is that likely now; will they let it happen? Some close members of my family would have lost out big time without mergers being encouraged. But others, in very competitive commercial markets, are coping well.

I wonder if anyone on our boards has yet been hit directly and hard. I guess the military enjoy certain security from the worst of this crisis, which is as it should be, that is one of the attractions of the job.

I went down to the recruiting centre last week to sign on, but they told me to come back with a new hip and without the stick, even tho' it is a green designer stick, very Orson Welles. And they asked, did I ever need glasses?

I told them they didn't put up any objections last time at conscription (draft) time appprox. 1953. Then they ignored the limp I acted out (joke), and ignored the fact that a soccer accident meant my left elbow was permanently dislocated. When they asked if I had ever suffered any serious illness, or big operation, I wrote yes, Peritinitis; they said they had never heard of it. As for my eyes - they just counted them on that occasion; 1 - 2 - you're in!
Infantry - perfect fit!

I said - but I've served the last few years at sea, sailed the oceans; I want the Royal Navy. Not this week, came the reply.

(All true - except the bit about me going to the recruiting centre to sign up! that bit was a joke:wink:)

Last edited:
Back