"Give me two Australian divisions and I will conquer the world for you." ~ Rommel

One thing you can be sure of, is that Rommel was certainly not talking about egotistical blowhards.

"The only thing worse than underestimating your opponent is to over estimate your own worth".

Spike Jones. 1947 -

It's no secret that Montgomery used non British (Idian, ANZAC, South African) troops to soften up the German defences so his men could achieve a much easier victory. (That is not to say his men were mediocre, they were in fact first class soldiers)

VDKMS....I am glad to hear that Monty used the Commonwealth troops rather than the British to fight in North Africa, still those rear areas must have been quite active as I lost five members of my family out there

Last edited:
Why these white guys(Eoropean) like to braging? :mrgreen:
why the Australian didn't brag about it they can defeat the Japanese army solely without USA and China?

Only some like to brag. Read my answer immediately after his initial post.

It is a disgusting and un Australian habit.

Last edited:
Some of you people really make me wonder!! It's a direct quote from Feldmarschall Erwin Rommel, not Australian hubris. I can't help that he said it!! Get over it! And of course, Rommel would have known what he was talking about.

Some of you people really make me wonder!! It's a direct quote from Feldmarschall Erwin Rommel, not Australian hubris. I can't help that he said it!! Get over it! And of course, Rommel would have known what he was talking about.
No one questioned Rommel or his reasoning, and no doubt you are well aware of that.

Boastfulness or seeking reflected glory, is a disgusting and childish habit, un befitting of a Serviceman and definitely un Australian,... or it was in my day.

Even the idiot Chinese Troll picked up on it.

Last edited:
That's hard to take seriously coming from a braggart who has just been shown up as a man, by a Chinese troll.

Last edited:
I think maybe too much emphasis has been placed on what was posted and not the spirit in which it was posted. Possibly there's been too much interpretation on why it was posted without asking the poster for a context.
It's entirely possible (and probably the most likely explanation) that Rowan was just being exuberant in his pride in being an Aussie.

I think maybe too much emphasis has been placed on what was posted and not the spirit in which it was posted. Possibly there's been too much interpretation on why it was posted without asking the poster for a context.
It's entirely possible (and probably the most likely explanation) that Rowan was just being exuberant in his pride in being an Aussie.
It might pay him to remember the old adage, "Pride goeth before fall"

Hubris like selfishness is inexcusable in any situation, it is both childish and un Australian. Of course the PC brigade would tell us that it's good for our egos and that we suffer from a cultural cringe. The fact is that boastfulness is not, and never has been part of our Australian ethos.

Erwin Rommel supposedly issued this statement as the ultimate compliment to our troops,... and while it is quite permissible to accept a compliment graciously, it is considered as crass in the extreme to go around repeating it to others, a fact even recognised by out resident Chinese Troll, and that is one of the many reasons why it should never be done.

It leaves you with egg on your chin, which is OK I suppose if you enjoy being made look like a fool by such people,... but I do not.

Last edited:
Seojekips, it's merely an interesting post with no intended sub-text and you are a judgemental dipsh*t who looks for nefarious plots and probably needs counselling..
My father served at Tobruk and El Alamein with Ninth Div 2AIF 8th Army.. I'm proud of him and have a right to be. I still serve.. What do you do Seojekips apart from trying to create bad blood?.

Last edited:
Seojekips, it's merely an interesting post with no intended sub-text and you are a judgemental dipsh*t who looks for nefarious plots and probably needs counselling..
My father served at Tobruk and El Alamein with Ninth Div 2AIF 8th Army.. I'm proud of him and have a right to be. I still serve.. What do you do Seojekips apart from trying to create bad blood?.
I point out twats like you who go out of their way to make Australians look like braggarts.

For a serving person, your CO needs to give you a bloody good roostering and have you taught to look ahead at possible consquences. A lesson or two in humility wouldn't go astray either.

Yeah, I know,.... that's not PC is it?

Last edited:
Back