Ghost Recon (the first one)

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Just for kicks reinstalled Ghost Recon.
Just realized just how easy it is to customize in certain ways. For example I replaced all the Ghosts with myself and my friends and cartoon characters from my series "5.56" and gave ourselves UN Peacekeeper outfits.
Sometimes customizable games are so fun.
I guess it's the difference between old school LEGO and modern LEGO.

You should check out "Frostbite", a great modification of the game, welcome to Spitzbergen, my friend...

Distances can go from really long range to extremely short range.
I've got to admit though when it comes to short distances it's not the best shooter out there but you also have to remember that it's an old game.
Still love how you can customize it though.
My latest was modifying the hand grenade to have a bigger blast radius, better kill power and a longer range to make it into a "mortar" of sorts. That was fun.

(Posting this one Hours later)
Man, I never realized how fun the editor is!!! I just created this mission where you and your ghosts (well, my dudes in UN peacekeeping uniforms) start off in the strong hold camp along with several soldiers of the US 82nd Airborne as Al Qaeda dudes start charging up at you from behind the hills laying down lethal fire... and all of this as three T-72 tanks come rolling in from the west laying down all kinds of hell.
If you go into one of the rooms you can find an American officer interrogating a captured Al Qaeda dude. I thought that was a nice touch.

Last edited:
Distances can go from really long range to extremely short range.
I've got to admit though when it comes to short distances it's not the best shooter out there but you also have to remember that it's an old game.
Still love how you can customize it though.
My latest was modifying the hand grenade to have a bigger blast radius, better kill power and a longer range to make it into a "mortar" of sorts. That was fun.

(Posting this one Hours later)
Man, I never realized how fun the editor is!!! I just created this mission where you and your ghosts (well, my dudes in UN peacekeeping uniforms) start off in the strong hold camp along with several soldiers of the US 82nd Airborne as Al Qaeda dudes start charging up at you from behind the hills laying down lethal fire... and all of this as three T-72 tanks come rolling in from the west laying down all kinds of hell.
If you go into one of the rooms you can find an American officer interrogating a captured Al Qaeda dude. I thought that was a nice touch.

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who knows... maybe I can upload it as some kind of milforum GR mod.

(LATER)

I just made one with the embassy map. Basically you lead your 3 man patrol (the game limits you to three man teams for some reason) down a patrol route when snipers start opening fire on civilians. The player's job is to go there as soon as possible to sort it out. As a touch, I added some civilian traffic (yes the cars really move). Also one must be careful not to shoot the other peacekeepers who are guarding the main bank (the embassy) and if you go around the back you can see that two peacekeepers are chatting and procrastinating.
Now how is this NOT a neat mission?

(Even later)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBP5KijkppQ
That's the youtube link for the video clip of my stronghold scenario. You can't see it very well.. it's a crappy compression and there's no sound but you get the idea of some of the mayhem involved. I didn't discharge a single round so all the fatalities you see around are caused by enemy fire. The US Army guys are AI controlled. Player controlled characters are in UN Peacekeeper uniforms. Also, there are a lot more bad guys than you can see from that video clip (poor compression arrgh).

Last edited:
Mine's so heavily modified I doubt they're compatible.
If you're interested I'll send you some of the scenarios I made.
You won't have the UN Peacekeeper guys unless you do the simple procedure of putting all your riflemen into a "Temporary" folder and replace them with my peacekeeper dudes. They're all kind of classed as riflemen but their kits are all different so in essence with the regular ghosts you can have three snipers or three machine gunners instead of the usual two.
Also be very careful with Lieutenant Sandberg's "mortar." Drop it too close and you'll get everyone killed!
Also, I seem to have lost "Island Thunder" from all the moving around. Which blows. The fixed AGL in that game could have been used with wicked effect.

So far I have:
- Camp 44 being overrun by Al Qaeda dudes.
- A routine street patrol turned chaotic by snipers (turned out pretty good. You can spot the snipers shooting civilians from the muzzle flash. I should add more civilians on the streets though. Also some more traffic maybe. There is sparse mobile traffic.)

And currently I'm working on an embassy defense mission that is absolutely crazy.

Should give me and my cousins some exciting co-op scenarios to work with.
The presence of civilians I think will be a recurring theme in my scenarios.

Last edited:
Working on new missions.
I have two scenarios involving capturing and holding a bridge (one comes before the other)... as with my scenarios involves a lot of good guys and a lot of bad guys and a lot of scripts. Getting better and better at this stuff and the missions are turning out real fine I think.

(After some work)

Well, I've tested the missions and can I say... I don't think I've ever expended that much ammunition in the original game. You will be pinned down like crazy.

Last edited:
Creating more scenarios. Latest one is "Checkpoint." Basically your team guards a check point as various vehicles go by. Some are hostile. Some are not. You have to differentiate between civilians and hostiles. You can also "repo" cars by shooting out the drivers. Also in order to avoid a traffic jam after taking out one vehicle, once you blow one up, it disappears after five seconds. I had to think of something.

Back