This is getting too strict.

ACTaFOOL82

Guys, 1 of like 10 topics in this forum is locked. For minor infractions, stop having a power trip, and let the people speak. Its a little annoying. Everyone in this forum is mature, and can tolerate a little flaming. Only a few people have a problem with it, and its the higher ups.

If anyone is on my side please respond, I personally think it would spice things up. We still need rules, but alot of stuff can slide.

Just a suggestion, please dont lock this. :cowb:

ACTaFOOL82 said:
If anyone is on my side please respond, I personally think it would spice things up. We still need rules, but alot of stuff can slide.

Just a suggestion, please dont lock this. :cowb:

things have been getting tense around here recently.

I would agree that the site is perhaps overmoderated, but only a little. The majority of the threads that get locked are because people can't seem to control their need to call names, throw around stereotypes, make racist/ethic insults and cuss a lot. So if the moderators here are shutting down that sort of behavior ... they're just prohibitting childishness. I have no disagreement with that. Especially in an international forum, we ought to expect better behavior. The vast majority of "flames" are extremely easy to rephrase into a less insulting way. Feel free to PM me if you can't think of a nice way to say something relevant, I'm happy to try and think of a better way of saying it.

Some of you seem to have a problem remembering this is a military forum. If you want to be able to post childish and idiotic remarks while detracting from good discussions, move to another forum. This is not your playground, if you cannot behave as an adult you will not enjoy your stay here. If you have no foundation for discipline and respect, you will not enjoy your stay here.

This site is not here to cater to a strong immature urge to say curse words and insult people or nations. It's not here so you can have fun with your friends engaging in silly "flame wars."

Many of you have stated you wish to become a member of your various militaries. If that is the case, I would suggest to those that feel this forum is too strict take a long hard look at their personal goals, and perhaps look for a different line of work in your future.

My suggestion to those of you that feel as if the forum is too strict would be to slow down and think before you post. Before you make a reply, check the posters profile. There are many on this site with more time in the military than some of you have alive - heed what they say and learn from them. Know when to shut up and listen and when to open your mouth.

There are plenty of other forums out there that will offer you posts containing nothing but childish insults and topic detractions - please join them if that is what you seek. If you wish to be a part of a community consisting of current and former military members as well as civilians from all over the world who wish to be respectful and mature - stay and enjoy.

Agree with Rndersafe...

If you read my post here:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4034
then you can see that we do, and will continue to, enforce the rules (much) more in the military related discussions.
It's really irritating and annoying to get an interesting discussion ruined by a stupid flamewar.

We do have the general chit chat, and junior military chit chat for more off-topic discussions, and we do allow much more in there.

You can compare the number of locked topics in the military discussions:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9
with the general chit chat:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
and you will see what I mean...

One thing I find a bit strange is that I have almost never received any complaints about the rules, or the moderating of this forum by members who serve or have served in the military...

And I've said it before, if you can't handle the rules and regulations in here, you may be in for a big surprise the day you join your countrys military..

One thing you could try is to do is to think about what you would say if you were face to face with the other member(s), and post what you would have said then.
I certainly would not have called a foreign colonel, major or captain a prick (or worse) if I did not agree with him in real life.
There are other ways to present your views and opinions.
There's nothing wrong in trying to be polite, even if you are on the internet.

We will also see how the new "report post" feature works now, and adjust the moderating a bit after that one too.

I'm more than willing to discuss the rules and moderating, and other members are free to post their opinions on this here as well, even if it's just agree/not agree..

Overmoderated? I let things slide lots of times. We give people many chances before locking or deleting posts. We constantly talk among the mods about these things and try to keep moding to the possible minimum. However, when people here just dont seem to realise that there are rules, well, than like Redleg and Rnder said, you are going to face the resluts. This is not true only for the military, but most lines of work. If you are "mature" and can handle it", than surely, you can handle the rules. If you cant, find somewhere else to post, because I will moderate what is offensive or plane wrong.

RnderSafe, Redleg and Sherman: Well said!

One of the reasons I find these forums enjoyable is the clear rules - and consequences if we break them. It definetely helps keeping things civil. Namecalling in a discussion really tells me a lot about the "namecaller".

Thanks, and keep up the good work! :cheers:

Guys, you always say if you cant handle the rules go to another forum, and youre absolutely right.

But there is one problem, all the other military forums suck! Not becuz of the quality, but becuz the flame wars, and immaturity do get really annoying. That in turn ruins all the good topics. I guess ya'll were right, I'll try not to b**ch as much. :cowb:

I have to go with the mods on this. The rules were here and set when everyone signed up. Also, there are some other forums you could go to but like Actafool said, flame wars. Maybe the reason this forum works so well is the fact that it is not allowed.

Come on yall, if you start acting more immature then me, then there is a problem. I actually like the mods here. You want to see some strict people that love to get something to chew on, PM me and I'll show you some places where I've gotten flamed. (if they still exist).

And I'll go ahead and say, I probably let a lot more slide then they do, but I'm also more on the maturity level of most of what I moderate. If I do moderate, it is mostly quoting and saying, you need to fix this sometime before I get on again or I will, and this is what you did wrong. I know what it is to have a heated conversation, I'm a strict republican, and I argue politics with a strict democrat - you can be those conversations get nasty. But we don't result to insults and name-calling.

I love the mods - they are awesome! :D

I thing MODs do a heck of a job.... 8) Without them this forum would be all flamming and no serious military talk. Keep on doing what u guys do because this is the best international military forum i know!

I've been around for a couple of weeks, and it really does not seem strict to me. I have no clue what you're talking about..x.x

I have been in the military and have alot of friends that have served in the military too. I know how it sounds in those bunks and in the corridors and in the tents and around the camp fires. Heck there is alot of discussion going on because there is not to much else to do then to eat, sleep, take a shit and maintain equipment and boots, and these guys that I served with and my friends has/had 5,56x45 mm 30 mag clips in there AK5s and they still can handle a discussion even if we dont always agree on the issues that are taking place around the camp fire.

A forum is another thing, you are not a group of people that serves togheter and covers each others backs in hedgehog formations and alot of the people that you see on a forum you never see or hear from again. What is my point over here? I think that forum rules are excellent tools to use on a place like this. There are people like me that sometimes even if I am 27 years old can get personal involved in some issues that can be taken as flaming or stereotypes, make racist/ethic insults and so on even if it is not ment to be interprented like that.

I can use harsh words and even point out some things with powerful substantives without thinking twice because I sincerly get sick of all this mainstream flattering descriptions that I get brainwashed with every singel day, my humble oppinion does not make things right, even if I think or know that some stuff is BS its still only my personal oppinion.

Sometimes I cant shut up and do the same "as the rest of the world are doing", if you know what I mean, they maby expect from me as a mature married x-servicemen that I should shut up and look in to the wall for some time to clear my mind, and that is my biggest problem in this world. To be quiet and dont say what I really think. I dont have any problem to obey orders then I would never have got into the military in first place.

We all have our unik ways to express ourselfe but as I see it, this forum has excelent moderators and rules of conduct that I as a member on this site just have to accept or I can go to another forum and debate my personal feelings. But still I have not found one singel good reason to take my backpack and leave this forum.

I consider this forum to be one of the best forums I have ever visited, I can say that without greasing the moderators asses to much because it is my point of view and my honest opinion on this forum and its rules and moderators. This young and older men are doing some really good work and I dont have to agree with them all the time but I can for sure let them do there job. Still I can understand the point in this first writers message about spice things up.

I know my officers really spiced things up when beautiful ladies approached our training grounds even if we bloody well knew that we shouldn´t it is in our nature to make some glitches sometimes and that even a glitch can be productive and that I have seen on many threads out here on the forum. The moderators makes glitches and they let alot of the messages be there for further discussions even if they not are entirly house-trained. This is what I consider as a good to go spice, and that`s why I like this place.

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

Hmm, Reading Docs post, I realized it probably looks like I suck up to the mods... Hehe, I don't do it intentionally. I don't really even see it as sucking up to them, cause I just think they are cool people.

Of course they are cool people CrazyCadet142 8)
Even if should say that they are good people ;)

Cheers to you:
Doc.S

:viking:

Back