Getting some shit off my chest

engineer205

Alright, I read an argument on some other site. And anyway someone was comparing marine infantry to army rangers. O.k. I know that theyre both the best in their field im just trying to tell the truth here. How come the average career for a ranger in the battallion is 4 years but I have a sgt. in my unit who was in the marine corp infantry for 17 years! Honestly rangers are not just your basic infantry, they are a LONG RANGE RECONISSANCE PATROL who go on various patrol missions (o.k. similar to infantry) but also rescue P.O.W.'s, go on recon missions, snipers, divers, pathfinders, etc. they fight along side with the SEAL's and Green Berets, they fought along side of the SEAL'S in operation anaconda with the help of the Air Force's combat controllers. Rangers might be the ''easiest'' to get into of all the special ops but they train the hardest.Trust me, Ive read into this, theyre not called the best of the best for no reason.Im not trying to down anyone but Im just trying to deliver the truth. Thank You.

I also just wanted to say that I meant no offense to the corp. I look up to them very much. I just beleive that rangers and marine infantry men are two different breeds. I also beleive that it's just plain wrong to try to downplay someone who has went through hell to get where they are just to risk their lives and fight.

First there is nothing easy about getting into the 75th Ranger Regiment. If you doubt me, please, PM me your information and I will be most happy to make certain you get an Option 40 contract into the US Army.

As for the reason most Rangers only stay in Batt for four years is because OPTEMPO is high, training is daily. Bodies can only take so much. Probably 90% of the guys in the 75th RGT get their fill in three or four years. By then, they have all but mastered the art of Rangering, are E4Ps or E5s, and find that it is time to:

1) get out of the service and do something else like college,
2) go SF,
3) go somewhere esle in the Army (RI, DS, WOFT, etc)

While there are some that keep re-upping into the RGT, and more senior NCOs typically stay, very few guys stay more than four years. Your body sees a lot of mileage during that time.

Secondly, you seem to think that reading has given you some insight to the truth. It doesn't. Reading about the Rgt does not equate to serving in it. Until you've been there, you don't know what the "truth" is or isn't.

Have a very Ranger day.

you're right, there's nothing like 1st hand experience.But thats what I meant about the rangers' short careers, their body can only take so much.

Back