Getting a Pilots slot in the USAF - Page 2




 
--
 
December 3rd, 2004  
CESSNA
 
a few more questions, these are ones that no recruiter has ever been able to give me a decent answer on.

I currently have 20/20 and 20/30 vision and a 3rd class civilian medical certificate. I am not sure if it is correctable or not, I dent use glasses.

Well this effect my chances of getting a pilots slot if everything else is in line.

Well it prohibit me from flying some types of aircraft while not others.
Is it true that Air Force eye requirements are not as strict as the NAVYs.(carrier landings)

And concerning laser eye surgery...I have heard from recruiters and otherwise that all corrective laser eye surgery is not permitted by any of the services and will disqualify someone who has it. However, my older cousin, in AFROTC has been told otherwise and is setting up an appointment for this surgery. Maybe he knows something I don't. Do you think he should go through with the surgery.
December 3rd, 2004  
egoz
 
What I heard was that they were currently testing laser eye surgery patients to see any side effects and how they would respond in the cockpit during combat. As of now I don't believe they accept anyone whos had corrected vision or less than 20/20 vision in fighters. As for the Navy requirments vs the AF requirements. I think the real difference was making sure that their vision was well enough to respond to night carrier deck landings. I can't remember the name of the condition at the moment, but my friends father was washed out of the program because he had it. Everything else was perfect except that he had night vision problems that prevented him from making those night carrier landings.
December 4th, 2004  
Gorfour20
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESSNA
a few more questions, these are ones that no recruiter has ever been able to give me a decent answer on.

I currently have 20/20 and 20/30 vision and a 3rd class civilian medical certificate. I am not sure if it is correctable or not, I dent use glasses.
Vision for pilots distance can be 20/70 correctable to 20/20
Near vision for pilots must be uncorrectable 20/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESSNA
Well this effect my chances of getting a pilots slot if everything else is in line.
From what you say, so far, no it won't affect you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESSNA
Is it true that Air Force eye requirements are not as strict as the NAVYs.(carrier landings)
I really wouldn't know. Everyone is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESSNA
And concerning laser eye surgery...I have heard from recruiters and otherwise that all corrective laser eye surgery is not permitted by any of the services and will disqualify someone who has it. However, my older cousin, in AFROTC has been told otherwise and is setting up an appointment for this surgery. Maybe he knows something I don't. Do you think he should go through with the surgery.
Surgery, for the Air Force...

PRK surgery may be waived only....
PRK is the only surgery you can get and make sure you know the air force knows and get them to sign off. They will find ways to disenroll you if you screw up. Its the hard truth.

Anything else???
--