Germany




 
--
 
January 10th, 2005  
gibbs
 

Topic: Germany


I keep seeing Germany pop up as a world super power. I'm sure they can't a super power "military wise" because of the second world war. Aren't they still in a treaty and have military restrictions? Because the versaille treaty was going to last up untill the 80's so surely the second world war one is still in place now? Doesn't stop them having the 4th most land power in Europe. I'm confused please put me right .
January 10th, 2005  
AlexKall
 
If i'm not totally off the planet, I do think they still have the WMD ban, that they can't buy, make or use them.
January 10th, 2005  
godofthunder9010
 
 
I don't know if I'd call them a Superpower, but they are certainly doing very very well economically and militarily. I suppose their unofficial role as EU leader puts them at the center of a system that could qualify as a Superpower. The lack sufficient population and resources to truly be considered a "Superpower" though.
--
January 10th, 2005  
Kane
 
Quote:
The lack sufficient population and resources to truly be considered a "Superpower" though.
That can be taken care of when a nation conquer other nations and then the becomes a superpower when it is built upon from the conquered people.
January 10th, 2005  
SHERMAN
 
 
Germany is not a SuperPower. It is however, a very strong power in world economics and politics. The German army dose have restrictions, but in my opinion its one of the finest in the world...
January 10th, 2005  
Kane
 
Quote:
The German army dose have restrictions, but in my opinion its one of the finest in the world...
In terms of quality, yes.
January 10th, 2005  
CABAL
 
 
Germany? Superpower? I Hope that could happen but in reality it's not going to happen again if we boost economic growth or mobolize again.
January 10th, 2005  
Whispering Death
 
 
Germany is doing very well and is a testament to the will and industiousness of its people. But it is not a superpower because the most important factor in a country being a superpower is the posession of large numbers of nuclear weapons.
January 10th, 2005  
CABAL
 
 
Quote:
But it is not a superpower because the most important factor in a country being a superpower is the posession of large numbers of nuclear weapons.
Weapon limitations does not neccesarily means that Germany cannot become a superpower. There are economic factors as well.
January 11th, 2005  
Doppleganger
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Germany is not a SuperPower. It is however, a very strong power in world economics and politics. The German army dose have restrictions, but in my opinion its one of the finest in the world...
In terms of quality and equipment the Bundeswehr is definately in the top 5 armies in the world despite the limitations imposed on it. During the Cold War, the German Panzer and Panzergrenadier Divisions were considered to be the best regular troops that NATO had at it's disposal to repel the Soviet threat.

Germany by itself will likely never be a superpower but as a dominating force within the EU it can indirectly be termed a superpower as part of that union. There are 2 Superpowers if you count the EU and perhaps 2 more will arise in China and India within the next 10-20 years.