Germany declares war on Japan

lljadw

Why didn't Hitler declare war on Japan after Pearl Harbour to strenght"te war of the wite race against the yellow danger"?Something you could expeckt from an archeracist:|. Advantages:the USA:reinforcement of the "Japan first"(maybe "Japan only") lobby in their battle against the Rooseveltadministration,with his policy(already before Pearl Harbour) of "Germany first". The UK:no or less aid from the USA ,reinforcement of the Chamberlainites and of the imperialist (whose aim was:first the defense of the empire) Btw:why not declare the Mediterranean hostilityfree,so that the UK could reinforce her troops "east of Suez"? the USSR:no Lend-Lease(I know:it wasn't decisive but all helps),Stalin feeling betrayed by his allies and the Grand Alliance exploding . It was worth while .

Why didn't Hitler declare war on Japan after Pearl Harbour to strenght"te war of the wite race against the yellow danger"?Something you could expeckt from an archeracist:|. Advantages:the USA:reinforcement of the "Japan first"(maybe "Japan only") lobby in their battle against the Rooseveltadministration,with his policy(already before Pearl Harbour) of "Germany first". The UK:no or less aid from the USA ,reinforcement of the Chamberlainites and of the imperialist (whose aim was:first the defense of the empire) Btw:why not declare the Mediterranean hostilityfree,so that the UK could reinforce her troops "east of Suez"? the USSR:no Lend-Lease(I know:it wasn't decisive but all helps),Stalin feeling betrayed by his allies and the Grand Alliance exploding . It was worth while .
Germany would have no way to engage Japan, being "surrounded" by the Russians & G.B., even if he had wanted to.

The declaration of war would be symbolic,but would have great influence on the public opinion in the USA,there was a lot of indignation and hatred against Japan: no war with Germany would have as result no USA aid to Britain (the isolationists were only isolationists facing Europe and interventionists against Japan )

Because he declared war on the US. Germany (Hitler) declared war on the US before Congress voted war with Germany on December 11th, 1941.

Because Japan would never have declared war on USA without German help. They werent dumb enough to take on UK and USA by themselves. They thought that the German victory over the Soviet Union was a done deal and it would be Germany, Italy and Japan against the Allies and could fight them to atleast a draw and hold onto their pacific empire in indonesia and malaysia and that USA would sue for peace at this point.

War makes for strange bedfellows, now Germany was happy to have Japan fighting the Americans in the Southern half of the globe. Hitler wanted to win the war first then sort out the Races

War makes for strange bedfellows, now Germany was happy to have Japan fighting the Americans in the Southern half of the globe. Hitler wanted to win the war first then sort out the Races

This is true however once Pearl Harbor has taken place the USA was always going to be fighting Japan, had he not declared war on the USA it may have given him the time to concentrate on defeating the Russians and still kept the Afrika Korps intact in North Africa ie no Torch landings.

As I understand it German did not have to declare war on the USA as the Tripartite pact only came into affect had the USA attacked Japan so basically he could have sent a sympathy message to the USA over Pearl Harbor and carried supplying information and materials to Japan as part of the existing agreements.

You mentioned the US supporting Germany? I would have highly;y doubted it considering it already had an alliance with Great Britain. Also I don't really think it had an alliance with them. I mean to us they did but they barely consulted in each other, traded guns or anything. Germany's main ally was really Italy, not Japan.

Who are we talking about here?
Germany and the USA had no alliances but Germany and Japan did, as far as contact goes there were many exchanges of goods and information between Japan and Germany throughout the war usually it was German technology (Me-262, Me-163 plans, engines etc.) for products from Japanese captured territory (rubber mainly).

The Tripartite Pact, also called the Three-Power Pact, Axis Pact,Three-way Pact or Tripartite Treaty was a pact signed in Berlin, GermanyAxis Powers of World War II. The pact was signed by representatives of Germany (Adolf Hitler), ItalyGaleazzo Ciano) and Japan (ambassador Saburo Kurusu)." on September 27, 1940,
Interestingly enough one of the last shipments from Germany was 560kg of Uranium Oxide that eventually did reach Japan in the form of an atomic bomb.

U-234 suffered bomb damage while under construction in 1942. After the loss of U-233 in July 1944 it was decided not to use U-234 as a mine-laying boat. She was then rebuilt as a Japan-transporter. On 25 March 1945 they left Kiel and a few days later reached Kristiansand, Norway.
On 16 April, 1945 she left Norway and was enroute to Japan with extremely important cargo (drawings, a Me-262 jet fighter in crates and 560kg of uranium oxide, several high ranking German experts on various technologies and 2 Japanese officers) when Kptlt. Fehler, after hearing the cease-fire orders on May 4, 1945, decided to head for the USA and surrender.
Per tradition the Japanese men took their own life via sleeping pills rather than being captured."

http://www.uboat.net/boats/u234.htm

Last edited:
I've read that had Germany not declared War on the US that there might not have been enough support to pass a Declaration against Germany in Congress. And I've rerad somewhere that in a blatant violation of Neutrality, USN ships had been trailing/tracking German ships & Subs & reporting the positions to the British.

There hasn't been, as far as I know, any official support from the USA to Germany. However, there have been quite some economical ties a few years into WW II. Henry Ford e.g. might be a good start for reading about this topic.
Anyway, since germany did declare war but in my opinion it doesnt matter as all since it was just a matter of time that the USA had declared war on germany anyway.

You mentioned the US supporting Germany? I would have highly;y doubted it considering it already had an alliance with Great Britain. Also I don't really think it had an alliance with them. I mean to us they did but they barely consulted in each other, traded guns or anything. Germany's main ally was really Italy, not Japan.
From my (Gerrman) POV you got it all mixed up a bit, methinks:

- US (the fiercest support coming especially from the Bush dynasty - Georg Herber Walker/Prescott tentacle -) was actively supporting Germany to some wide extent (through the mil/industrial complex that made them sell petrol, steel ingredients, et. al.: G.H.W. started the family fortune, Prescott exploited it more, all well documented today, "Hamburg-American Line", "Thyssen" and "[FONT=geneva,arial][FONT=geneva,verdana]W. Averell Harriman[/FONT][/FONT]" ring a bell?), until Pearl Harbour, which changed their take to not intervene (bought?).

Not enough though to not have even nowadays some US Americans still retroactively want to have Prescott tried for treason because his support went beyond even the point when US and Germany were at war (google the names, sources a-plenty).

- Italy, even within German Politocrazy was considered a "meat shield" defensively, and a "clown" politically: My father always told me the old WWII joke about German vs. Italian tanks in Africa: Q: "How many gears do both have"? A: "The same: German tanks have 12 forward gears and one reverse, Italian tanks haave 12 reverse and one forward". Japan was the allie Hitler had in mind, he was really admiring their form of thinking and organizng stuff.

Rattler

Last edited:
There hasn't been, as far as I know, any official support from the USA to Germany. However, there have been quite some economical ties a few years into WW II. Henry Ford e.g. might be a good start for reading about this topic.
"official" is the word here, Ford, Bushs did make their fortune supporting Schacht/Hitler/Todt/Speer starting in the early 30s (see my last post).

Some names and ties:

- Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH)
- Fritz Thyssen

They got all ties well welded up, to mutual interest.

(Liu, Henry C. K. "Nazism and the US Induced German Economic Miracle," Asia Times Online (May 24, 2005). )

Even today it is not too far away a shot stating that the average (no forums then, so we have no archives, this is pure speculation) US conservative would subsribe unequivocally the basics of the NSADAP credo, adopted in 1920?:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]"We ask that the government undertake the obligation above all of providing citizens with adequate opportunity for employment and earning a living. The activities of the individual must not be allowed to clash with the interests of the community, but must take place within its confines and be for the good of all.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Therefore, we demand an end to the power of the financial interests. We demand profit sharing in big business. We demand a broad extension of care for the aged. We demand... the greatest possible consideration of small business in the purchases of the national, state, and municipal governments. [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]-snip-

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]We combat the... materialistic spirit within and without us, and are convinced that a permanent recovery of our people can only proceed from within on the foundation of The Common Good Before the Individual Good." [/FONT]
Rattler

From my (Gerrman) POV you got it all mixed up a bit, methinks:

- US (the fiercest support coming especially from the Bush dynasty - Georg Herber Walker/Prescott tentacle -) was actively supporting Germany to some wide extent (through the mil/industrial complex that made them sell petrol, steel ingredients, et. al.: G.H.W. started the family fortune, Prescott exploited it more, all well documented today, "Hamburg-American Line", "Thyssen" and "[FONT=geneva,arial][FONT=geneva,verdana]W. Averell Harriman[/FONT][/FONT]" ring a bell?), until Pearl Harbour, which changed their take to not intervene (bought?).
Verifiable sources please, without them this is pure conjecture and not worth the band width.

The US did not have a "mil/industrial complex" before WWII.

Not enough though to not have even nowadays some US Americans still retroactively want to have Prescott tried for treason because his support went beyond even the point when US and Germany were at war (google the names, sources a-plenty).
Rattler

Since there are "sources a-plenty" please supply. It is not our job to prove your point.
This speculation has little bearing on the topic.

Topic itself is pure speculation as Japan and Germany were Allies before Pearl Harbor. And Hitler declaring War on the US came about 1/2 day before Congress was to vote on War with Germany.

Nazi naval forces

One thing to consider in this argument is that Hitler placed little value on a strong navy. His thinking was tainted by the ineffectiveness of the German navy in World War One, when their only effective naval power was the U-boat. Subsequently, the only effective naval force Hitler used in World War II was, obviously, the U-boat. In fact, the Germans built only one aircraft carrier during the war, and it was never deployed. To make a long story short (too late, I guess) is that conquering the Japanese empire would have required a much larger and more diverse navy than Hitler had at his disposal.

Hitler foolishly declared war on U.S first, otherwise the US public would have clamored for all support for war on Japan.

Hitler foolishly declared war on U.S first, otherwise the US public would have clamored for all support for war on Japan.
that's something that is possible,but not prooved:?
Another possibility is that,if Hitler did nothing,US would,after the defeat of Japan,turn against Germany .

No, it didn't matter. Germany first was a political reality, as they were seen as the greater immediate threat to the allies, and getting cooperation from Stalin.

The US was going to declare war on Germany anyway. The US was supporting the Allies in every way short of officially declaring war all ready.

Hitler only beat by hours the US Senate vote on President Roosevelt's war Declaration on Germany.

Last edited:
not likely

By the time Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, Hitler already had a plate running over. He was engaged with Great Britain's superior navy and its "never say die" population on one front; on the other, he was losing thousands of men every day trying to defeat Russia, which had seemingly unlimited manpower and leadership that was as stubborn as the British. Attacking Japan, at any point during the war, would have simply sped up the process of Hitler's defeat.

Back