German WWII Breastplate

Missileer

What's the silver colored breastplate hanging on the front of some WWII German uniforms? What significance and who could wear it?

It's called a "gorget" and it was usually worn by their version of military police. It led to the MPs being slangily referred to as "chained dogs."

More abstract, a gorget started off as the piece of armor that covered the upper chest and lower neck where the breastplate, shoulder plates, and helmet meet. Later, it shrank in size to something more ornamental and was used to signify everything from rank to coat of arms to unit.

moving0target said:
It's called a "gorget" and it was usually worn by their version of military police. It led to the MPs being slangily referred to as "chained dogs."

More abstract, a gorget started off as the piece of armor that covered the upper chest and lower neck where the breastplate, shoulder plates, and helmet meet. Later, it shrank in size to something more ornamental and was used to signify everything from rank to coat of arms to unit.

Belated thanks. I have seen them in a lot of movies but couldn't Google anything up on them.

Thanks! I can't think why the german wearing the metalplate of front their chest. I thought it is just for to protect the heart. DUH!! Now, they are militray police and it is called breastplate. Duh....haha.

I realise this is a little after the event (well 2 years) but since I am necroing posts today for some reason...

The gorget was revived as a uniform accessory during Germany's Third Reich, seeing widespread use within the German military and Nazi party organizations. During World War II, it continued to be used by German military and field police, which wore metal gorgets as emblems of authority. German police gorgets of this period typically were flat metal crescents with ornamental designs that were suspended by a chain worn around the neck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorget

Back