German tanks buried in Norway

Using the turret as a gun position seems normal and setting them in concrete would have provided an extra level of protection but I am not sure I understand tunneling into them as the life expectancy of a PzIII turret would have been pretty short even against 1950s weaponry.
I guess part of being a Fort. Access with out exposing the gun crews. Odd that they were buried under concrete in the end instead of scrapping them.

I guess part of being a Fort. Access with out exposing the gun crews. Odd that they were buried under concrete in the end instead of scrapping them.

I don't see it as odd at all as you have a ready built emplacement with a traversing gun platform and reasonable armour.

I don't see it as odd at all as you have a ready built emplacement with a traversing gun platform and reasonable armour.
The way I read it, when abandoned the fort they just entombed the whole thing under concrete.

The way I read it, when abandoned the fort they just entombed the whole thing under concrete.

Yes it isn't overly clear how this system worked as I thought it said they were initially reinforced with logs etc until they were incorporated into the hillside fort.
Once they became obsolete I assume they were simply covered in concrete and forgotten.

Back