German Soldiers potential dishonor for Berlin!

ObjSRgtLw

Germany/ Berlin
The formal pledge of conscript soldiers on the 20. of July in front of the german Reichstag (Parliament) was in danger because the Mayor of Berlin Klaus Wowereit and the Department for park and garden construction said it
a)could harm the grass (which is used by public every day), and b) could DISHONOR THE DIGNITY of the Location!

Luckily Chancelor Angela Merkel intervened and the Pledge will take its place.

Sources: German Press/ "General Anzeiger"

I would like to hear your comments and thoughts...
To my mind this proofes again how much the majority of the public stands behind its sodliers. The basic military service for everyone is embedded into our basic laws. Nevertheless most of the society is working against a military that their state commands and constructed...
I'm speechless and i'm beginning to ask myself why i fight for people who don't want me at all...

Last edited:
Germany/ Berlin
The formal pledge of conscript soldiers on the 20. of July in front of the german Reichstag (Parliament) was in danger because the Mayor of Berlin Klaus Wowereit and the Department for park and garden construction said it
a)could harm the grass (which is used by public every day), and b) could DISHONOR THE DIGNITY of the Location!

Luckily Chancelor Angela Merkel intervened and the Pledge will take its place.

Sources: German Press/ "General Anzeiger"

I would like to hear your comments and thoughts...
To my mind this proofes again how much the majority of the public stands behind its sodliers. The basic military service for everyone is embedded into our basic laws. Nevertheless most of the society is working against a military that their state commands and constructed...
I'm speechless and i'm beginning to ask myself why i fight for people who don't want me at all...

On the surface it seems ludicrous unless grass is an endangered species in Germany days.

Did the guy give any reasons as to why he thought the pledge "could DISHONOR THE DIGNITY of the Location!", I imagine that since he was over ruled by Merkel his reasons cant have bee that compelling.

If they moved the location due to reason 1, then it would be unfortunate but understandable. Reason 2, however, has no excuse.

On the surface it seems ludicrous unless grass is an endangered species in Germany days.

Did the guy give any reasons as to why he thought the pledge "could DISHONOR THE DIGNITY of the Location!", I imagine that since he was over ruled by Merkel his reasons cant have bee that compelling.
Now that Merkel overruled him and some people (some seem to have brains left here...) begin to understand what they were actually saying the Mayor tries to change his words "I meant... blabla" though he gave no real explanation yet...
But exactly this is how the majority of the people think about their military and thats so disturbing- the backhold in your country is what makes you strong in missions abroad... because of that most german soldiers i know go for money- that is what mercenarys do... i can't stand that-

TO my mind as a german officer, money should not be the main reason for serving your country- the people who live in it that you swore to protect are one or your family or your Principles...
But if the people you serve don't like/ want you, a very important aspect of your identity as a soldier is missing.

If its about missions abroad or money your better off with mercenary companies they have plenty of work nowadays :)
Money should not be the main reason, but i can understand why it is for many german soldiers- but that topic is a little more complex...

Now that Merkel overruled him and some people (some seem to have brains left here...) begin to understand what they were actually saying the Mayor tries to change his words "I meant... blabla" though he gave no real explanation yet...
But exactly this is how the majority of the people think about their military and thats so disturbing- the backhold in your country is what makes you strong in missions abroad... because of that most german soldiers i know go for money- that is what mercenarys do... i can't stand that-

Well I have to admit that my only contact with the German military was back in the late 1980s but I didn't recall any noticeable "anti-military" bias then.
I have a couple of friends who are currently serving, one always intended join and cracked me up by wanting to invade East Germany (this was about 1987), the other was going to do his time with in the air force and then go on to join Air France but ended up staying.

i don't think so but he's homosexual, quote: "and that's good so!" ;)
The Position towards Soldiers is very different in Bavaria- the world seems to be in order there...

Last edited:
You know..... high culture, new age folks...
They usually do alright until something bad happens. Then they "lose their innocence."

Back