German Reeanactors

It is the thought of people running around in SS Uniform, that makes me sick. I'm not against reenactments at all and I'd like to do one myself someday.
I would even wear a Wehrmacht's uniform with all the insignias it must have to look authentic, no matter if it is illegal here or not. That is not the point that concerns me.

I just think there is a line that should not be crossed, in this case dressing up like one of the worst criminals the German history has ever seen just for fun.

I understand your concerns very much. The problem is - you cannot do a reenactment without both sides.

I am involved in reenacting and the battles have to have both sides or what would be the point?

But again, I understand your issues a lot. I am Armenian and I was wondering what it would be like if people reenacted the Armenian Genocide? I would not find it amusing and would really feel sick about it.

So I see it both ways...

Also, our group (before me) did a reenactment with a Japanese group. They were really Japanese and they didn't seem to mind doing it. Everyone knows the Japanese tortured the American prisoners so one could say that it is sickening to portray the Japanese (in the WWII sense only) but there you go...

Here is my 2 cents....The Waffen SS was a military organisation which fought as a MILITARY unit. Any argument to the contrary is ludicrous , and doesn't encompass an understanding of what the SS was. Although in some rare instances(most notably with the 3.SS) , personnel which were wounded would be shipped off to work the concentration camps , this was by far the exception rather than the rule. For the most part , the 2 branches(camps , military) worked seperately and distinctly of each other. To categorically brand ALL SS vets(and I know a few) as maniacly evil people is WRONG and misinformed. Also the issue was addressed of reenacting massacres or genocides....this is silly....WW2 Reenacting is apolitical(vehemently in most units) and is done for military history purposes , not political history.....there is a difference you know.

I don't think we should stereotype WW2 German, and especially SS soldiers. I believe that most, (or at least many) German soldiers were fighting not for Hitler or the Nazi party, but for their country. I have discussed this with a Veteran of WW2 German SS and Parachute units, and he agrees with me on this. Granted, there were many exceptions, but I don't think there is any problem with reenacting battlefield SS units.

Whether they are SS or not, you can't do a reenactment with only one side. Otherwise it would like kinda stupid (it already looks stupid enough!) running around fighting with pretend enemies...

Stuff like that needs to be rubbed in peoples faces. People generally don't like to see the bad points in history, namely the branch of the SS that did all those atrocious things. That fact is they did them and we can't change that. The best we can do is show the people what happend through history so they don't forget. I saw a very disheartening thing on TV the other day that interviewed kids, somewhere between the ages of 13 and 17, about the Holocaust. You would be suprised how many of them had never heard of it. The fact is our history is what made us what we are today and re-enacting, teaching, etc are was of reminding us what took place. Heaven fogive if we forget what took place. We would surely be doomed to repeat it.

A lot of it depends on the American group you are representing. If the group you are in never fought the SS, then your reeanactment group will probably not be fighting the SS.

It depends on the date and battle you are recreating too. So a few factor go into who you are going to be up against. Its not a random decision.

It would be pretty hard to film a movie without extras dressing up in NAZI uniforms. I'm sure we can all see the movies without wanting to kill a German. Especially since that's what my surname is. This is off thread but an amusing story. During WWII, my family claimed Dutch heritage even though our name is unmistakably German. ;) Tolerance, tolerance, tolerance.

I just think there is a line that should not be crossed said:
Ok , Bootboy ! I can understand why you are talking the way you are, I am here to say that not all of the Waffen-SS was criminal, and just because a group of judges say so does not make it a reality.

There were plenty of these fine men who never saw anything but the battlefield, I urge you to get a book, or go to the archives in Germany and read about them or if possible since most were forgotten by their own country to chat with them.

If that is the case, just about every single military in the world has a criminal organization within.

We portray members of the Waffen-SS, not to be confused with the General SS, we never had a problem, we explain people the history not the Hollywood version, and once they listen they understand.

And what the heck is a N***uniform ?? , unless you are portraying a goverment official your in a military uniform.

PS

If you need places to purchase items check our webpage links section.

No, not all Waffen-SS personnel had the runes, officers from Lt. Col and above had no runes.
Other vol. units and non-germanic units had their own collar insignia

example
Sonnerad, 23rd NORGE
Odal, Prinze Eugen
Etc.

On the issue of the Totenkopf, was not a true SS insignia, its very old and has a long history. It was adopted by the SS .
Used in the Napoleonic Wars and was worn by the elite body guard unit, Leibhusaren, or in English Death Heads Guard Hussars. The Guard Husser's were the Prussian Kings body guard, and during World War I they served as the Kaiser's bodyguard.

Also used by the Freikorps in the early 30's

During the war Panzer Heer personnel , due to the use of the Totenkof were mistaken as Waffen-SS members and denied any civilized treatment.

In post war Germany, it is no longer used, due to the political implications, I will not go into.

As a note, even today, most people, thanks to Hollywood and propaganda believe that all Waffen-SS were in slagers, just because of this symbol.

Guaripa said:
I just think there is a line that should not be crossed said:
Ok , Bootboy ! I can understand why you are talking the way you are, I am here to say that not all of the Waffen-SS was criminal, and just because a group of judges say so does not make it a reality.

There were plenty of these fine men who never saw anything but the battlefield, I urge you to get a book, or go to the archives in Germany and read about them or if possible since most were forgotten by their own country to chat with them.

If that is the case, just about every single military in the world has a criminal organization within.

We portray members of the Waffen-SS, not to be confused with the General SS, we never had a problem, we explain people the history not the Hollywood version, and once they listen they understand.

And what the heck is a N***uniform ?? , unless you are portraying a goverment official your in a military uniform.

PS

If you need places to purchase items check our webpage links section.

First of all, I don't need judges or the telly or anything else in the world to make own sentiments.

Maybe I went a little bit over the top, but it's a matter of fact that the Waffen-SS commited more war crimes than any other german military branch during WW2.
I don't want to blame every sinlge member of the Waffen-SS because I know that there were a lot that volunteered because they were looking for some adventure and wanting to be a part of a elite unit. But nevertheless the Waffen-SS was meant to be some sort of Hitler's private army with certain political beliefs.

Guaripa said:
No, not all Waffen-SS personnel had the runes, officers from Lt. Col and above had no runes.
Other vol. units and non-germanic units had their own collar insignia

example
Sonnerad, 23rd NORGE
Odal, Prinze Eugen
Etc.

On the issue of the Totenkopf, was not a true SS insignia, its very old and has a long history. It was adopted by the SS .
Used in the Napoleonic Wars and was worn by the elite body guard unit, Leibhusaren, or in English Death Heads Guard Hussars. The Guard Husser's were the Prussian Kings body guard, and during World War I they served as the Kaiser's bodyguard.

Also used by the Freikorps in the early 30's

During the war Panzer Heer personnel , due to the use of the Totenkof were mistaken as Waffen-SS members and denied any civilized treatment.

In post war Germany, it is no longer used, due to the political implications, I will not go into.

As a note, even today, most people, thanks to Hollywood and propaganda believe that all Waffen-SS were in slagers, just because of this symbol.

That is very interesting. I heard, didn't read, that some SS were having the runes tattooed on their arm but after the war turned against them, had them removed or removed them theirselves. I suppose that's better than being hung. Thanks for the info.

Actually, you might be refering to the blood type
It was done in the inside part of the arm.
However this practice began with the Luftwaffe (Air Force)
it was then adopted by the Waffen-SS.

In one case I interviewed, a member of a Flak unit, had been taken prisioner by the Russians, They believed he was a Waffen-SS because of the tatoo.

Its ok, becasue many Russians also thought that the toilets were potatoe washers, and would shoot the toilets because it was steling their potatoes.

As an artist. I've seen a huge increase in "nazi fan art" and it makes me angry. Most of the time the kids have nooo idea wtf they are drawing or anything about nazis other than they think they are cool by drawing them. It's pathetic.
I'm not saying you're guilty of the same. If you're reenacting, then I can understand it. It would be hard to fight yourself! ;)

Guaripa said:
Actually, you might be refering to the blood type
It was done in the inside part of the arm.
However this practice began with the Luftwaffe (Air Force)
it was then adopted by the Waffen-SS.

In one case I interviewed, a member of a Flak unit, had been taken prisioner by the Russians, They believed he was a Waffen-SS because of the tatoo.

Its ok, becasue many Russians also thought that the toilets were potatoe washers, and would shoot the toilets because it was steling their potatoes.

Is that bit about the russians true? :lol:

Yes, its true, actually there are many interesting facts about the Russians, I am sure you have seen the foto of the Russians placing their flag in the Reichstag, that never happened, it was a posed foto for their propaganda.

Also it was a group of female Russians that first got to the Reichstag, not the blazing guns seen so often.

They were more interested in the plundering than fighting.

Good fellows those Russians.

Back