German media: United States Prepares Iran Strike

phoenix80

Banned
The Bush administration is preparing its NATO allies for a possible military strike against suspected nuclear sites in Iran in the New Year, according to German media reports, reinforcing similar earlier suggestions in the Turkish media.

The Berlin daily Der Tagesspiegel this week quoted "NATO intelligence sources" who claimed that the NATO allies had been informed that the United States is currently investigating all possibilities of bringing the mullah-led regime into line, including military options. This "all options are open" line has been President George W Bush's publicly stated policy throughout the past 18 months.

But the respected German weekly Der Spiegel notes "What is new here is that Washington appears to be dispatching high-level officials to prepare its allies for a possible attack rather than merely implying the possibility as it has repeatedly done during the past year."

The German news agency DDP cited "Western security sources" to claim that CIA Director Porter Goss asked Turkey's premier Recep Tayyip Erdogan to provide political and logistic support for air strikes against Iranian nuclear and military targets. Goss, who visited Ankara and met Erdogan on Dec. 12, was also reported to have to have asked for special cooperation from Turkish intelligence to help prepare and monitor the operation.

The DDP report added that Goss had delivered to the Turkish prime minister and his security aides a series of dossiers, one on the latest status of Iran's nuclear development and another containing intelligence on new links between Iran and al-Qaida.

DDP cited German security sources who added that the Turks had been assured of a warning in advance if and when the military strikes took place, and had also been given "a green light" to mount their own attacks on the bases in Iran of the PKK, (Kurdish Workers party), which Turkey sees as a separatist group responsible for terrorist attacks inside Turkey.

Goss's visit to the Turkish capital followed the rising international concern over recent statements by the new Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that Israel should be "wiped off the map," denying the existence of Holocaust, and suggesting that Israel's Jewish population might be re-located to Europe.

In a December 23 report, the DDP agency quoted an anonymous but "high-ranking German military official" telling their reporter: "I would be very surprised if the Americans, in the mid-term, didn't take advantage of the opportunity delivered by Tehran. The Americans have to attack Iran before the country can develop nuclear weapons. After that would be too late."

http://www.iranian.ws/iran_news/publish/article_11882.shtml

:roll:

King said:
I don't think US will invade Iran.

me neither and any foreign invasion will boost the position of the much hated clerical regime in Iran and will unite the Iranians to defend their land while the mullahs take advantage of this national unity.

phoenix80 said:
me neither and any foreign invasion will boost the position of the much hated clerical regime in Iran and will unite the Iranians to defend their land while the mullahs take advantage of this national unity.
It depends upon the tactics used by US government.

It might be a semi-invasion (involving some parts of Iran) and you should know that human-wave tactics won't work against Americans.

But the point is that we can't say for sure yet that whether such attack is being planned or not. But we had rumours in 2001 that IRAQ will be invaded and it happened in 2003.

But still I am against any new war. And Ahmadlinejad should learn to behave in international politics, instead of giving bad remarks to others.

King said:
I don't think US will invade Iran.

indeed... but it doesn't take an invasion to destroy a nuclear installation right :p

a little bomb dropped on their head will do the job ;)

Morten said:
indeed... but it doesn't take an invasion to destroy a nuclear installation right :p

a little bomb dropped on their head will do the job ;)
a bomb will trigger a war.

This article is not very convincing, considering the Turkish government didn't even allow the US to invade Iraq from its soil, the suggesiton that they will be given the nod to attack Kurds in Iran by the US for their co-operation is bizare. The Kurdish areas in Iraq are the most peaceful in the country, an attack by Turks on Iranian Kurds will ensure they will become the most violent. Whatever the reality of strikes on Iran by US or Israel it won't happen in the way described here.

a bomb will trigger a war.
Maybe, but I think Iran will talk tough and not do anything if we drop some bombs. They realize war with the US and Israel is for all intents and purposes disasterous for their country.

I wondered where Baghdad Bob went. Same story Lybia had along with Iraq, twice, and Afghanistan. Same old adjectives.

Rabs said:
Maybe, but I think Iran will talk tough and not do anything if we drop some bombs. They realize war with the US and Israel is for all intents and purposes disasterous for their country.
Trouble is Rabs, you will not be fighting a country, you will be up against a belief system. Don't expect the Iranians to fight fair.

Trouble is Rabs, you will not be fighting a country, you will be up against a belief system. Don't expect the Iranians to fight fair.

Hows that Welsh, the radical Islamic world is already at our throats, and I dont expect them to fight fair, thats why we need to make sure they cant produce a nuke. If they produce nukes I wouldnt put it past them to put it in a suitcase and leave it in the lobby of the empire state building or some other high priority target either here or in Israel.

Like I said some tough talk, but Im really not to worried about the Iranian armed forces trying to pull anything.
http://hindustantimes.com/news/181_1587766,00050004.htm

Last edited:
Thats exactly what we will be up against... the bomb in the suitcase, dont expect to fight a conventional war....So you bomb one facility, that will not stop the fundamentalist only increase his/her desire to destroy you.

Thats exactly what we will be up against... the bomb in the suitcase, dont expect to fight a conventional war....So you bomb one facility, that will not stop the fundamentalist only increase his/her desire to destroy you.

The only way to stop the fundamentalist is to completely defeat them both poltically and phsyically. Lets not give them the chance to get that bomb in the suitcase, cause if they had acess to one you know they would of already used it. So lets make sure they NEVER get one.

Brave words indeed, but how do you stop a fundamentalist, how do you stop a complete belief system..Kill them all? Every Muslim male, woman and child? You can of course destroy a political system Rabs but how do you destroy a religion?

Welshwarrior said:
Brave words indeed, but how do you stop a fundamentalist, how do you stop a complete belief system..Kill them all? Every Muslim male, woman and child? You can of course destroy a political system Rabs but how do you destroy a religion?

First to be clear, Im not saying it will come to this, but if it does so be it.
If they do start bombing American cities with suitcase bombs and car bombs. Gunning down Americans on every street corner.
We have to be prepared to destroy them. We'eve done it once (Native Americans) justified or not we did it because they were constantly attacking American citizens, and if the Islamic world decides it wants to do this, we have to be ready and willing to defend our way of life.

This has gotten way off topic, but thank you for the good argument Welsh, and I'm sorry for my young un-informed opinions :)

Way to go young man. Do not worrry about your un-informed opinions, at least you have an opinion and are not afraid of expressing it. Also don't worry about being young... you will get over it.. rapidily. :cheers:

Back