The German invasion of Russia:

You can cite all the sources that you want. How about a million more? None of this changes the fact that the Sovs got creamed. And, they got creamed throughout the war -- the war kept the Russians in the stone age. That was all they could ever have achieved. It was a "miracle" from a Slavic perspective, but they only gave up millions to allow the Americans to win.

Let me introduce a conjectural point...after all this crap, that is the least that one could allow me. What about a war between Germany and the Soviets without the air war and the two fronts in Italy and France? Come on, who are you trying to convince? I live in the real world. How about you guys? Germany would have won.

And, anyway, look at Russia today, what have they won? 60 years after WWII, I have to say that Germany won, anyway.

Thanks, I'll be ignoring you from now on.

I'll lose my hostile tone when I see you using something aside from baseless opinions when writing posts.

In other words you are saying. "Agree with me, or I am quite justified in my enormous arrogance" You are not looking for informed debate, you are merely trolling.

Did it ever occur to you that, that is what a debate is, peoples opinions. Two people can read the same book and arrive at completely different opinions as to the outcome. This is often shaped by external influences such as in this case.

There is absolutely nothing to say that your opinion carries any more weight than that of anyone else. All you seem to be saying is that you think you have read more books on the subject at hand. Well.... that may be so, but it does not necessarily follow that your opinions are any the wiser for it.

Having read endless books on anatomy doesn't make you a surgeon.

In other words you are saying. "Agree with me, or I am quite justified in my enormous arrogance" You are not looking for informed debate, you are merely trolling.

Did it ever occur to you that, that is what a debate is, peoples opinions. Two people can read the same book and arrive at completely different opinions as to the outcome. This is often shaped by external influences such as in this case.

There is absolutely nothing to say that your opinion carries any more weight than that of anyone else. All you seem to be saying is that you think you have read more books on the subject at hand. Well.... that may be so, but it does not necessarily follow that your opinions are any the wiser for it.

Having read endless books on anatomy doesn't make you a surgeon.

Maybe you and the rest should stop assuming what I mean or meant or am thinking, etc? Address what I've written if you want to say something to me, this is pointless bickering, which I'm not here for. My opinions are backed up by factual information, most of yours aren't. You are free to believe what you want, but believing is different from knowing and understanding.

My assumptions and no doubt those of others, as to what you mean, are formed exactly the same way as yours are about the material that you have read. They are formed based on what you say, I have no alternative unless you know of a crystal ball.

but believing is different from knowing and understanding.
This is exactly my point, we only "believe", you profess to "know". It sounds more like old soviet era propaganda every minute. As I said earlier, your ignorance is only exceeded by your enormous arrogance, and I think that is a very accurate assumption.

My assumptions and no doubt those of others, as to what you mean, are formed exactly the same way as yours are about the material that you have read. They are formed based on what you say, I have no alternative unless you know of a crystal ball.

This is exactly my point, we only "believe", you profess to "know". It sounds more like old soviet era propaganda every minute. As I said earlier, your ignorance is only exceeded by your enormous arrogance, and I think that is a very accurate assumption.

I'm ignorant now? Please, show me where I have professed something close to ignorance.

By professing to "know" information, whereas you say that others only "believe", you ably demonstrate that you are ignorant of the facts in this regard.

It appears that you have made the grave mistake of interpreting a reasonable expectation of respect for the views of others as a weakness, this is both ignorant and arrogant in the extreme.

By professing to "know" information, whereas you say that others only "believe", you ably demonstrate that you are ignorant of the facts in this regard.

It appears that you have made the grave mistake of interpreting a reasonable expectation of respect for the views of others as a weakness, this is both ignorant and arrogant in the extreme.

You are reaching. This is now going into the realm of fantasy. If you'd like to discuss the topic at hand go ahead, I'm tired of you going off on tangents and I, personally, won't be doing it again. If you'd like to disprove or address something I've said in regards to the title of this thread, go ahead, otherwise stop wasting my time.

Sorge did not predict June 20th either. The closest he got was June 15. He sent a message on June 20th that said 'war is inevitable' or something to that effect. The following is a list of sources I used for my paper, not counting at least two books in Russian:

[FONT=&quot]Bibliography[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Axell, Albert. Stalin’s War Through The Eyes of his Commanders. Arms and Armour: London, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1997.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Barros, James and Gregor, Richard. Double Deception: Stalin, Hitler and the Invasion of [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Russia. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Northern Illinois University Press: DeKalb, 1995.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Broekmeyer, Marius. Stalin, the Russians, and Their War 1941-1945. The University of [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wisconsin Press: Wisconsin, 2004.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Damaskin, Igor A. Stalin I Razvedka. Moscow, 2004.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Erickson, John. The Road to Stalingrad: Stalin’s War with Germany. Yale University Press: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]London, 1999. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Gorbunov, Evgenii. Skhvatka s Chyernim Drakonom. Tajnaya Vojna na Dalnyem Vostoke. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Veche, 2002.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Gorodetsky, Gabriel. Grand Delusion. Yale University Press: New Haven, 1999.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Leonard, Raymond W. Secret Soldiers of the Revolution: Soviet Military Intelligence, 1918-1933. Greenwood Press: London, 1999.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mawdsley, Evan. Thunder in the East. Hodder Arnold: Great Britain, 2005.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Murphy, David E. What Stalin Knew: The Enigma of Barbarossa. Yale University Press: New [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Haven, 2005.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Overy, Richard. Russia’s War: A History of the Soviet War Effort: 1941-1945. Penguin Books: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New York, 1997.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Petrov, Vladimir. Soviet Historians and the German Invasion “June 22 1941” University of [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]South Carolina Press: Columbia S.C., 1968.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pikhalov, Igor. Velikaya Obolgannaya Voyna. Eksmo: Yauza, 2005.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Prange, Gordon W. Target Tokyo: The Story of the Sorge Spy Ring. McGraw-Hill Book [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Company: New York, 1984.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pleshakov, Constantine. Stalin’s Folly. Houghton Mifflin Company: New York, 2005.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Prudnikova, Ye. et al. Legendi GRU. Moscow, 2005.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Salisbury, Harrison E. The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad. Da Capo Press: New York, 1985.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Stepashin, S. V. ed., Organy Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti SSR v Velikoy Otechestvennoy [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Voine. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Moscow, 1995. Book 2.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sudoplatov, Pavel and Anatoli. Special Tasks. Back Bay Books: New York, 1994.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Whymant, Robert. Stalin’s Spy. St. Martin’s Press: New York, 1996.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yakovlev, Alexander N. ed., 1941 god. Moscow, 1998. 2 Volumes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ziemke, Earl F. Moscow to Stalingrad: Decision in the East. Center of Military History: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Washington, D. C., 1987.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Websites[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://nvo.ng.ru/history/2000-10-27/5_ramzay.html[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]http://www.newlibrary.ru/read/korolkov_yurii/chelovek_dlja_kotorogo_ne_bylo_tain.html [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.lib.ru/MEMUARY/ZHZL/zorge.txt[/FONT]

Read Whymant's book "Stalin's Spy" if you want the messages he sent translated. Read Murphy to see the contradictory information coming into the GRU and NKVD from abroad. Use your common sense, and if that fails logic, to understand Stalin's and Golikov's situation, amongst others, when viewing the reports coming in.

Well Guys, you asked for it, and that looks a pretty impressive list to me. Kunikov, I take my hat off to you. My apologies for pulling your leg earlier. I can now see that you are a serious student of your subject. I was merely attempting to pay Russia, in an ironic nut-shell, a historic compliment on their use of their immense natural resources. My compliments to you.

You are reaching. This is now going into the realm of fantasy. If you'd like to discuss the topic at hand go ahead, I'm tired of you going off on tangents and I, personally, won't be doing it again. If you'd like to disprove or address something I've said in regards to the title of this thread, go ahead, otherwise stop wasting my time.

Perhaps I can make this easier for all of us, if you don't like what people say on the boards and you are not prepared to put some effort into proving your point why are you wasting your and our time by posting here?

What you profess on a forum says more than enough about what you've read and how much you know.

I agree so spare us the self promotion and self righteous indignation and either say something useful or go away so that others can, its really not that difficult.

Perhaps I can make this easier for all of us, if you don't like what people say on the boards and you are not prepared to put some effort into proving your point why are you wasting your and our time by posting here?

I enjoy when people learn from their own mistakes.

I agree so spare us the self promotion and self righteous indignation and either say something useful or go away so that others can, its really not that difficult.

I'll make it easy for you, if you don't like what I have to say, ignore me.

So anyway, back on topic. A 2 season campaign is something that might have had a good chance of succeeding. Indeed, members of another forum attempting to role-play such a scenario but due to the huge complexity of actually running a simulation of the Eastern Front it broke down. Kunikov is probably aware of this as I am fairly sure he is also a member of the same forum:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=69528&highlight=operation+barbarossa

So anyway, back on topic. A 2 season campaign is something that might have had a good chance of succeeding. Indeed, members of another forum attempting to role-play such a scenario but due to the huge complexity of actually running a simulation of the Eastern Front it broke down. Kunikov is probably aware of this as I am fairly sure he is also a member of the same forum:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=69528&highlight=operation+barbarossa

I really cannot see how a two campaign strategy would have worked given the comparative strengths and weaknesses of both armies at what would have been the end of the first campaign and the start of the second one.

My impression is that the Germans achieved as much as they did by not allowing the Russians a respite and time to regroup and rearm as soon as they were given that chance the tide of the war in the east changed which had to be expected when fighting a nation with such large quantities of resources.

An exercise in futility, especially since the essence of Blitzkrieg, is once again, ignored.

Well I think the Germans were going on what had worked in France also I think they underestamated the harshness of the Russian Winter.

Well I think the Germans were going on what had worked in France also I think they underestamated the harshness of the Russian Winter.

The idea of fighting in the Winter was overlooked since the campaign was supposed to end before it. France was a fluke for Germany in the sense that it was planned to be a long campaign. What happened surprised them as much as the rest of the world. There are those that believe it wasn't Blitzkrieg, a theory and idea that I agree with.

Well I don't thik the Germans thought the Russians would pull back and only fight in the Winter months.

Pull back? Pulling back would have eliminated any and all pockets of resistance, that's the opposite of what happened. The Red Army fought for dozens of cities and towns, hence the high numbers of POWs taken by the Germans. As for fighting 'only...in the winter months'...military actions on the Eastern Front took place year round.

Back