german infantry tactics of ww2.

slayergutten19

hei, i havehad a lot of discussions about the fact that the german infantry was superior to the allies in many tactical ways. the abilty to improvise and to addapt to different situations was bigger, so was the offensive power of the average german unit. the war doctrine of the germans was also superior. many times i have said to people that i admire the german army because of they great ability to fight in situations were it is in numerical disadvantage. what do you peole thimk about the german army in ww2?

The Jerries were a bit fascinating, although outnumbered, they were a very impressive foe. They took Norway too you know chap.

slayergutten19 said:
hei, i havehad a lot of discussions about the fact that the german infantry was superior to the allies in many tactical ways. the abilty to improvise and to addapt to different situations was bigger, so was the offensive power of the average german unit. the war doctrine of the germans was also superior. many times i have said to people that i admire the german army because of they great ability to fight in situations were it is in numerical disadvantage. what do you peole thimk about the german army in ww2?

The MG-42 machine gunner was the focus of the WW2 German infantry squad, especially in the last 2 years of the war. This gave the Germans very good defensive firepower. Also, the Wehrmacht was built on a system where officers and men freely mixed and German officers and NCOs were encouraged to think for themselves. This allowed German soldiers to quickly form into mini kampfgruppes whenever the situation dictated, as well as giving a sense of empowerment and 'esprit de corps'. This explained how German infantry replacements who had only a few weeks of basic training (and in some cases only 1 week) were able to come in and perform so well, so quickly. So to sum up the Wehrmacht's strengths were:

1. Empowerment to think and react decisively to local tactical changes
2. A real sense of 'esprit de corps' amongst all ranks
3. Real tactical awareness and experience gained from years of constant war
4. World leading equipment like the MG-42, Panzerfaust and '88 AT Gun

Back