German cross of honor approved.

ObjSRgtLw

As you might know German Forces don't have many medals and honors. I think this one is a good addition. I don't remeber the exact quote from a guy who once said: in times of war and losses theres a certain need for more medals ;). Well in the german case it's about time for some new medals after so many were banned.

For actions of exceptionel courage- beyond the expected degree.
_MG_9082_640.jpg

I think Us-Forces have a similar medal?

Last edited:
I guess the US equivilant would be either the Bronze Star or Silver Star judging from its description.
South Korea lacks medals too. Seriously. They are so rare that most soldiers can't even name them. Most of us do know the highest honor though but no one really knows or cares what the others are. We know we'll never get them.

I guess the US equivilant would be either the Bronze Star or Silver Star judging from its description.
South Korea lacks medals too. Seriously. They are so rare that most soldiers can't even name them. Most of us do know the highest honor though but no one really knows or cares what the others are. We know we'll never get them.

Well like i said before medals should be rare. Israel probably has less than a 1000 medals awarded in the 6 wars it has fought.

Well like i said before medals should be rare. Israel probably has less than a 1000 medals awarded in the 6 wars it has fought.

Makes for a very empty uniform though!
Then again, never been a big fan of the dress uniform. Give me the green ones any day where I can sew on my name tape and qualification patches.

Makes for a very empty uniform though!
Then again, never been a big fan of the dress uniform. Give me the green ones any day where I can sew on my name tape and qualification patches.
We only have any unit or qualification pins/ribbons//etc on our dress uniform. And it dosent make them that empty. If I wore all my stuff on(which I never did cause im not that kind of guy) I would have 7 diffrent pins on my uniform by the time i was out of the service. Fact is I usually had 3, sometimes 4 pins on my dress uniform.
I checked it and since 1948 only 860 soldiers were given medals in the IDF. Of which only 40 were given the "Medal of Valor" the highest decoration awarded for "Acts of supreme heroeisem in face of the enemy and at risk of death"...Thats not somthing you should give away like popsickels.

The only Medals Swedish soldiers get's is stuff like serving with the UN, the real medals only the f****** royal family gets

altough there are only two country's we (regular army) have fought in, and that is the balkans and Afghanistan. Except some special forces stuff.

Anyway i wonder, do Germany still have the iron cross.?

The US Military get's it's traditions from that of the UK. Yes, we originally fought them for our independence but many of our traditions still come from the Brits. Medals being one of them.

The US Army/US Air Force issues a ton of medals and awards. The USMC does not. They simply believe in the Rifle marksmanship badge, and service ribbons. Fancy dress uniforms are another mater. The US Navy is somewhat between the US navy and the USMC.

Some medals and awards are a little overboard. Sadly our highest award has some issue to it right now. When a Marine was injured with a head wound and later takes a grenade and covers it to save the life of his comrades and dies and is award a Navy Cross instead of a Medal of Honor. There is an issue. Because a US Army Soldier did the same and died and was award a Medal of Honor.

Look and I say this as a Jew and an Israeli...The Germans should respect their army much more than they do(according to ObjSRgtLw). I have alot of respect for most germans who fought in WW2.

Look and I say this as a Jew and an Israeli...The Germans should respect their army much more than they do(according to ObjSRgtLw). I have alot of respect for most germans who fought in WW2.
And I think everyone should, as for every soldier who faught in ww2 (except the war criminals who did inhuman things...)
You're not the first to say that, the paradox is that most foreigners say we should be proud of being German again (...) but in Germany that's only a minority speaking like that and a big part of them is either a neo-nazi or considered as one (because he said "i'm proud to be German) ...
What we managed to become (again) economical and political, and what our country stands for now is something one should be able to be proud of...
You just triggered a basic discussion that I'm happy to discuss m8
thnx

We only have any unit or qualification pins/ribbons//etc on our dress uniform. And it dosent make them that empty. If I wore all my stuff on(which I never did cause im not that kind of guy) I would have 7 diffrent pins on my uniform by the time i was out of the service. Fact is I usually had 3, sometimes 4 pins on my dress uniform.
I checked it and since 1948 only 860 soldiers were given medals in the IDF. Of which only 40 were given the "Medal of Valor" the highest decoration awarded for "Acts of supreme heroeisem in face of the enemy and at risk of death"...Thats not somthing you should give away like popsickels.

In the Marines you are required to sew on your name tape and are allowed to sew on one qualification badge on your greens. Also of course one rank tag on the flap of your chest pocket.
Dress uniform same deal except you have a pair of rank stripes on each arm. So the uniform does look rather empty. Senior NCOs and Officers do have a set of chest ribbons but I've never actually figured out what the heck they mean and there's a good feeling that they're just stuff they add with their TIS or they get one for some sort of course they pass which is required for promotion etc. Truth is, I don't think anyone below the rank of Staf Sergeant has the slightest clue as to what the ribbons mean. No one teches you that stuff and I was too busy doing my work to care.
I'm going to have to ask this one to someone who ought to know. Seriously, how can I NOT know this?

As for the German Army in World War II... often the war chooses you, you don't choose the war. I'm sure hundreds of miles away in Stalingrad the soldiers could barely remember the crap that Hitler had said months ago.
You hear about several instances about Germans in their military doing decent things... if anything it's featured as a part of a film. The Pianist was about a Jewish piano player who was saved by a German officer who was later captured by the Russians and sent to a death camp.
Unfortunately Japan lacks these things... remember that their mentality was still that of a feudal society. Kindness to people not Japanese was a concept completely alien to them.

Last edited:
Personally i think the Germans should have kept the iron cross but with the new modification of a flower or what is was, that the veterans from the war were allowed to wear. Beacuse the medal was from the last half of the 1800's and should not be accociated with the things ignorant and evil men did.

Good point.
Men of valor were awarded that medal.
Just because Nazis issued it for a time doesn't mean it should be scrapped.

Back