German Army

aol123

Hi, I'm half German, have a German passport but live in England and I was wondering if anyone had any information about serving in the modern German Army?? Mainly regarding conscription and the unit you would get posted to ie can you request one?? And then the possibilities of serving for a longer period of time as an NCO or officer?? Likely combat deployments. That kind of thing really.

Do u speak German ?

If so u can call the Kreiswehrersatzamt or The Bundeswehr hotline. If not i think it would be difficult if not impossible for u to join.

I speak a decent amount of German because I visit my family there regularly, doubt it'd be enough to get into the army atm. I'm planning on taking a part-time course over the summer and then stay with my grandparents for a coupla months to improve because I am quite worried about the language barrier. Is the embassy likely to be able to help in any way information wise??

Language barrier is something I'm pretty familiar with.
It'll be a pain in the ass but it's not unmanageable.
I think if you have a German passport you can join and you might want to check whether or not you're up for their draft as well.
I think the embassy should have someone that handles matters like these.

I didn't speak good Korean at all when I joined the Republic of Korea Marine Corps. I learned Korean on tax money (aka ass whippin').

Is the embassy likely to be able to help in any way information wise??

Indeed, also any Consulate.

The direct way via inquiry to the adequate address will also work:

http://www.bmvg.de/portal/a/bmvg/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLd4k3cXcGSYGZbub6kTCxoJRUfV-P_NxUfW_9AP2C3IhyR0dFRQBRCsn1/delta/base64xml/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS80SVVFLzZfRF80SUU!?yw_contentURL=%2FC1256F1200608B1B%2FW268SEKG623INFODE%2Fcontent.jsp

Hope that helps, PM me if you have any detailed questions

Rattler

Though I do support your choice to join our Forces, I have to ask: Why do you wanna join the German Forces anyways? England has a great Military. I'm not very good informed about the Royal Army today but I have a good knowledge about the German Forces. I would like to share some of the info I have about that in privat.
Plus I may make some calls and get some info on your current request, it may be less difficult for me to get good info on your case if you want to.
Just contact me via Pm. :thumb:

Edit: about your previous questions- you may of course make requests about which unit you choose (do you have any preferences yet- I may help you with the concrete choice). Normal conscript time for NCO is 8 years, you have the (small) chance of getting more time while serving. Officers have 12 years normally and if you want to become a professional soldier it is adviced to get a Bachelor or Masters degree after the officers school (if you are adjudged fitt for it)- without that it may be difficult though I doubt that- German Forces have a growing problem with getting new soldiers every day.
As 13th said before you may also sign in for standart military service and start with 9 month that may without problems be extended to 23 months (i did that before getting into the Officers career , I was born and lived in Belgium but had a German Passport- I signed in for military duty at the local 'Kreiswehrersatzamt'- they didn't have me listed until I reported in- same with you I guess), that way you would get to know the German forces and it may be easier to enter NCO/ Officers career if you have proven yourself (as I mentioned chances are pretty good especially if you want to go into the Infantry- worst case scenario: you would get a position as NCO in another unit next to your preference... you may change the unit later (small chance)).
Since the only -combat- deployment is with the QRF in Afghanistan at the moment you should chose an Infantry Branche. After that it is the Air Force Infantry and the Navy Forces who have the highest rate of deployments.
Hope that helps a little.
Grüße

Last edited:
I cant imagine how hard it must have been learning Korean on the job!

I did consider joining the British army but I could lose my German passport if I did that apparently. Also figured that I might not be too popular in the British army seeing as Im half German and half Irish, though I might be wrong. Thanks for you offer of help, Ill get back to you when Ive sorted myself out properly lol

Well, the Germans probably won't accept you with open arms either. So really, it's decision time, though for a short stint... only 9 months, you can hold out. Actually, why don't you go for it? Learn some German before you go.

"Well, the Germans probably won't accept you with open arms either." Really?? Never thought about that :S well I have decided to go for the German army, I'll take a language course before I go and then just keep my head down and see how it goes before making a decision

Last edited:
Sorry about the double post, was trying to edit my last now and did this. cant figure out how to delete it.

Apologies!!!

Last edited:
Don't think you'll have problems... our Forces have many Soldiers with a non-German origin- that's not a problem really. Had a british fellow during my military service time, he was integrated and accepted- i think it depends on the person himself. Germany is in general bound to be friendly to people of every different origin... history did give us many lessons. So it won't be a big problem really. Compared to other nations it might be the best way to go...
I would recommend the military service 13th mentioned- that way you could find out...

Back