German Air Force

I3BrigPvSk

The Viking
Germany buys the F-35. Is it a great buy for the Germans or should they have joined the Italian, the Japanese, and the UK development program to get a new stealth fighter

Germany buys the F-35. Is it a great buy for the Germans or should they have joined the Italian, the Japanese, and the UK development program to get a new stealth fighter

I think it is a fairly silly purchase given that they have the Eurofighter that is more than adequate and provides them with security in parts supply.
They should take part in other programs but I think if nothing else this war has shown the need for streamlined logistics and too many systems creates a logistics nightmare.

I think it is a fairly silly purchase given that they have the Eurofighter that is more than adequate and provides them with security in parts supply.
They should take part in other programs but I think if nothing else this war has shown the need for streamlined logistics and too many systems creates a logistics nightmare.

That's NATO's major vulnerability, too many different systems when NATO countries (if they can and have any) tend to protect their own arm manufacturing.

The F-35 is a step in the right direction to solve NATO's problem when several NATO countries are buying the F-35, but I can't see the purpose for the Germans to buy the F-35, unless the Germans want a stealth aircraft to deal with modern Russian air defenses

That's NATO's major vulnerability, too many different systems when NATO countries (if they can and have any) tend to protect their own arm manufacturing.

The F-35 is a step in the right direction to solve NATO's problem when several NATO countries are buying the F-35, but I can't see the purpose for the Germans to buy the F-35, unless the Germans want a stealth aircraft to deal with modern Russian air defenses

From what I understand there are already problems with the F35, I don't think its very sensible of the Germans buying it. However it appears only 4 out of 128 of Germany's Eurofighters are ready for combat.

From what I understand there are already problems with the F35, I don't think its very sensible of the Germans buying it. However it appears only 4 out of 128 of Germany's Eurofighters are ready for combat.

The RAF is also flying the Eurofighter and I have not heard any problems with their Eurofighters.

The F-35 is supposed to replace the F-16, the F-18, and the Harrier. A new aircraft will always be delayed and more expensive than anticipated. I have no doubts about the F-35 will be a great aircraft when all the issues are sorted

Last edited:
The RAF is also flying the Eurofighter and I have not heard any problems with their Eurofighters.

The F-35 is supposed to replace the F-16, the F-18, and the Harrier. A new aircraft will always be delayed and more expensive than anticipated. I have no doubts about the F-35 will be a great aircraft when all the issues are sorted

The sad thing is, there was a super sonic Harrier on the drawing board, someone mentioned that a prototype was built, then the whole idea was scrapped. It reminds me of the TSR2 which ticked all the boxes except the political one, and the AVROE Arrow built in Canada, which at the time was the best aeroplane in the world, literally. Thanks to pressure from the US it was also scrapped.

I read somewhere the Japanese have bought the blue prints for the YF-23. The aircraft that lost the competition when the US AF wanted a new fighter plane and decided to buy the F-22 Raptor instead.

Back