Georgian Air Force

What did I say now? Is it the cancer thing?

EDIT: I was actualy enjoying reading what you said, and now its going to turn out into a real Sh*tter.

IF and that is a HUGE IF, the Swedish goverment decided to sell Georgia Gripen,s it´d be more dangerous for Georgia then for Russian attack air crafts.

It takes a few years to train a competent Gripen jock and Georgia would never get that time before Russia found another excuse to invade.

On the plus side for the Gripen is that it doesn´t need airfields, a straight patch of road is enough to R&R them.
Thus increasing their suvivability in a full on conflict against the Russkies.

On the downside, Georgia wouldn´t have the possibility to buy the quantity needed, nor train the amount of pilots needed for any prolonged conflict.

Thus, stick to SAM,s, make it very costly to fly CAS and the Russians would have to go back to the less accurate high altitude bombing of days past.

//KJ.

Suppose so, but it's never too late to start training pilots to fly some decent interceptors. And crews to maintain them. Who knows... what if Russia doesn't invade that early?
But as said earlier, lots and lots of SAM and AAA.

I think the only thing for them to stop Russian invasion is to sit quet and to make peace with everyone...and sell their Tomatos worldwide! (in my opinnion it is the best politics for Georgia);

You are aware, of course, that CIWS are generally naval weapons (for exceptions, see "C-RAM" - just a Phalanx on a truck used against mortars etc. in Iraq), and that we have other means for dealing with threats outside of the CIWS "sphere"? It's a last line of defense, and good against small boat threats. Besides, the gun doesn't matter nearly as much as the radar.

I think a better strategy for them would be to buy CAS aircraft, such as the A-10 and stock up on a lot of SAM sites, and mobile SAMs, personal AA weapons etc.

The Russian airforce was badly trained and flew far to close to the ground giving the Georgians the chance to knock a few of them out of the sky. I think they need to take advantage of this, as poorly trained as the reds are in the sky- they will still overwhelm anything Georgia could afford to maintain. It's best bet is to get CAS aircraft to support a defence against the rebels ( or russians as they like to be called now) and use the SAMs to deny air missions from Russia. Maybe invest in some good radar too- i ave no idea how sophisticated Georgian radar arrays are.

depends, if Russia uses some SA-22's when they go in for the bite, then I doubt a cas would do much damage.

And we must remind ourselves that SAM systems can be destroyed if attacked from the ground.

Oh no not a CAS against the Russians, thats madness for the Georgians. I was talking about to fight the rebels of South Obestia and that other place ill never spell right.

Its spelt Abkhazia.

In the rebel case [Now that I know you werent thinkiing against the Russians]I think an A-10 would be impractical and expensive. Using some good old fashion attack helicopters would be better.

Back