Georgia "Invaded" By Russian Forces

Any one hear any news about a Georgian Crouser being sunk? :pirate:

The Russian ships have sunk the Georgian small missile "corvette" (I am not sure about it's class in English).
In Russian it is called "Kater" - from "cutter", obviously.

Georgia doesn't have any meaningful Navy.
Howeve they have tried to attack the Russina' Black Fleet Navy that is blockading their ports

They were always master poker players, and it worked well for them; at one time they were winning WW111 without firing a shot. Reagan and Maggie Thatcher happened to call their bluff at the right moment, after vision by Nixon.

At present their tails are up financially and so they are flexing their muscles and looking to punch their weight once more. They haven't gone away.

They aren't the only ones playing these games though all nations try it to the limit of their capacity and sometimes they overstep for example Argentina and the Falklands.

I really cannot understand what Georgia are up to clearly they never had a chance in this conflict and yet they persisted in trying to poke the bear from the wrong side of the cage, you would think the sanest thing to do was act all brave pull back to the start lines and wait for the "diplomatic" phase to kick in.

Last edited:
The Russian ships have sunk the Georgian small missile "corvette" (I am not sure about it's class in English).
In Russian it is called "Kater" - from "cutter", obviously.

It's like a frigate if memory serves. Maybe a little lighter armed. I know it's like a picket ship in the USN.

Agreed. I was merely making the point that they were good at it, and were also major players.

I also am happier when we have them inside pushing out, and generally see no point in aggravating the bear unecessarily. Obviously the spread of the EU bothers them as it creeps towards them, they were always paranoid on such matters. I must admit to a certain amount of sympathy. I would have wished for a long slow fermentation of peace. with them.

personally im glad Russia invaded Georgia i prefer Russia to crack down on there old republics all they do is have civil war's and mass murder's there better off under Russian control i have family in the Ukraine ,and in Russia ether way the people will be cold poor and hungry better be a large strong country then a small weak one.

personally im glad Russia invaded Georgia i prefer Russia to crack down on there old republics all they do is have civil war's and mass murder's there better off under Russian control i have family in the Ukraine ,and in Russia ether way the people will be cold poor and hungry better be a large strong country then a small weak one.

Yeah Cause it worked out Ohhhhh Soooooo well the first time around right?

It's like a frigate if memory serves. Maybe a little lighter armed. I know it's like a picket ship in the USN.

By all accounts its one of these:
Dioskuria.jpg

id rather have soviets running around then crazy Islamic terrorists if the soviet union was around we would just be in a stale mate and we would be allies by know killing off terrorist groups together because Russians hate all Muslims way more then they hate us , and we pay the people guarding the nuclear silo's in Russia not Putin with out us the Russian government doesn't control the nuke's.

Many of us miss the old Soviet Union and every time Russia farts we want to think the USSR is back.

I really think we completely miss handled Russia I think if we had done it right we could be real friends not enemies as it seems we have become.

What do you guys think did we blow a major oppertunity for world peace? :CG:

I don't think so. I think we have done quite a bit to help them but they seem to not want much from the or to do with the West or NATO types. If the opportunity has been blown, I don't think it was us (USA) that did the blowing.

id rather have soviets running around then crazy Islamic terrorists if the soviet union was around we would just be in a stale mate and we would be allies by know killing off terrorist groups together because Russians hate all Muslims way more then they hate us , and we pay the people guarding the nuclear silo's in Russia not Putin with out us the Russian government doesn't control the nuke's.

Huuuh? Whhhhhattttt? Clear it up.

what about all those crazy Palestinian terrorists who were supported by USSR?
They were not Muslims, were not they?

They aren't the only ones playing these games though all nations try it to the limit of their capacity and sometimes they overstep for example Argentina and the Falklands.

I really cannot understand what Georgia are up to clearly they never had a chance in this conflict and yet they persisted in trying to poke the bear from the wrong side of the cage, you would think the sanest thing to do was act all brave pull back to the start lines and wait for the "diplomatic" phase to kick in.
my theory is that it was an act of desperation.
Please, remember, that the Russians had an envious position being a judge, plaintiff and defendant in one person in that conflict.
They, in fact, own these self-proclaimed republics, but in the same time, they are the peacekeepers and the mediators in the same conflict.
I should say - have been, because the Georgian attack has put them, finally, in the right place - as the participants in this conflict, not the mediator or the peacekeeper.

Now they have to accept, eventually, foreign negotiators and foreign peacekeepers.
But what is more important, I believe, that the Georgians can accept the inevitable now - these territories are lost to them for as long as Russia exists, period. No hope for them.
They have no choice but stop banging their heads against the wall and learn to live without South Ossethia and Abkhazeti.
This is the most positive outcome out of this human tragedy.

On the other hand, Russia will have to formally take responsibility for these territories, either by annexing them or by making them "independent" countries and face the international outrage and a rise of their own separatist movements.
Abkhazeti is a real gem, but it needs a lot of investments - billions and billions.
South Ossethia - is a pure liability. It is only value to the Russians - 15 miles to the only railroad and highway connecting East and West Georgia.
But it doesn't matter, really, because any fight between the Russians and the Georgians is so lopsided...

One thing you have to hand it to Russian Intelligence because they had the forces ready to move as soon as Georgia attacked. Georgia waited for the worlds attention to be on the Olympics to launch the attack then the Russians were ready willing and able to jump into the fight.

SO is a part of georgia, and all you guys saying georgia started this, imagine how russia would react if another country helped chechnian rebels?

Back