Georgia "Invaded" By Russian Forces

According to another news, because Russia has also targeted Georgia's infrastructure, and upon Georgia's request, Turkey (NATO) has started providing them with electricity.

http://www.cnnturk.com/HaberDetay/E..._Gurcistana_elektrik_vermeye_basladi/489857/0

BTW, here's a current NATO/Russia map.

750px-NATO_enlargement.svg.png

Dark blue current members, light blue invited members, dark green promised invitation, light green intensified diaglogue, grey undeclared intent, red membership not a goal.

Nobody is a person you "have to respect."

Not good. I have a feeling this will get worse before it gets better.

Thanks Lunatik, your posts are helpful.

Last edited:
Some Georgian army gear:

800px-T72_Georgia.jpg

T-72 tank

Georgian_BTR-80s.jpg

BTR-80 armored personnel carrier

Kobraabm5.jpg

Otokar Cobra armored 4x4 IFV

800px-Georgia_152mm_SpGH_DANA%2C_2008.JPG

152mm VZ77 Dana SPH

Damn , so Russia makes it's move. My solution would be to drop 5 BCT's in Georgia for training and tell the russians to watch their rounds. If one round hits an American troop well, we hate to be shot.

Damn , so Russia makes it's move. My solution would be to drop 5 BCT's in Georgia for training and tell the russians to watch their rounds. If one round hits an American troop well, we hate to be shot.
But who do we send to fight them with our entire Army tied up in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Actually, chances of this escalating to a full scale war is pretty slim, there's huge Caucasian energy deals at stake here, and Russia knows better not to completely piss off the West. I think a cease fire will soon be declared, both Russia and Georgia will move out of South Ossetia and they will be given higher anonymity, though not complete independence or union with North Osseria in Russia. And when Georgia finally becomes a NATO member in 2009/10, that'll deter further aggression from Russia.

Or so I hope.

our entire Army is not tied up there.
There are a large number of troops in those two countries, and with numbers being what they are now we need them where they are. If we were to engage in a conflict with Russia it would take a LOT of soldiers, more than we have avaliable at the present time without a draft, which would undoubtedly make the youths of America a lot less apathetic in a hurry...

I think Bush will try to stay neutral, which, at the present moment, is probably a wise move.

Join the US military and you might understand what our numbers are. It is 2 million strong these days and I can assure you there are not 2 million troops in Iraq or Afghanistan. It might be a pain in some soldier's ass but it could easily happen.

Once more Bush has been out manuvered by Putin. Georgia attacked SO to kick off this conflict lets not forget that. And did you see the youtube video of the Mig 29 shooting down a Georgian Dron?

Also don't forget that Israel had card blaunch to obliterate as much of Lebanon as possible a few years ago for something as little as a cross boarder raid. An all out offensive by the Georgian military against SO is clearly a bit more provication than a little raid.

In our rush to blame the Russians of this attack let's not forget the fact that Georgia attacked SO with a massive force also as pointed out the Georgian president has two flags behind him when he speaks on TV one is Georgia the other is the EU.

Last edited:
So that was why I saw Mr Putin humming "Georgia on my mind" at the opening of the Olympics.

What have the Georgians got to throw up against the Russians?

What are you talking about Georgai attacked SO first! If Georgia had not then Putin would not be riding to the rescue of his people!

An all out offensive by the Georgian military against SO is clearly a bit more provication than a little raid.
South Ossetia is at the very least technically Georgia's territory isn't it? If we were having political turmoil in say, Southern California, and we sent in troops, it wouldn't be any of Mexico's business, would it?

Georgia attacked SO to kick off this conflict lets not forget that.
No. Seperatists in South Ossetia started the conflict by trying to take land from Georgia and adding it to Russia, which is already the world's largest country. Russia has been violating international law by supporting South Ossetian seperatists and others and thus destabilizing the region in hopes of keeping Western investment (and NATO) out.

South Ossetia is part of Georgia and the Georgian Government has all the rights to send in troops to keep peace inside its territories. Georgia is a sovereign country and Russia has no business inside Georgian territories.

Last edited:
Join the US military and you might understand what our numbers are. It is 2 million strong these days and I can assure you there are not 2 million troops in Iraq or Afghanistan. It might be a pain in some soldier's ass but it could easily happen.

Lets be a little realistic here the USA is not going to take on Russia over Georgia no matter how much the people in this thread try and overplay the situation, there is simply not enough in it for them nor other NATO countries to risk direct military contact with Russia.

My guess is that for the next few days the Russians will drop a few bombs and claim they are protecting their own, the Georgians will claim Russia is invading and killing civilians and both sides will set silly scenarios for peace talks, then there will be some pseudo-emergency discussions at the UN and everything will return to normal sometime around the end of next week.

South Ossetia is at the very least technically Georgia's territory isn't it? If we were having political turmoil in say, Southern California, and we sent in troops, it wouldn't be any of Mexico's business, would it?

Yes about as "technically" Georgian as the Kurdish areas of Iraq were "technically" part of Iraq.

Last edited:
^
I agree with Monty here. It's not going to become a full scale war, and the US (or NATO) will not get involved, other than perhaps sending seperate diplomatic observers and humanitarian aid.

We'll see. Russia seems to be itching for a war with us these days. I knew the Bear was not gone.

I think Bush has been provoking the Russians for a while now by moving Nato up to their front door. We freak out when they want to put bombers in Cuba.

You need to look at this objectively. Georgia made the first move and are the ones who miscalculated they did not expect Putin to do anything.

Who says the US or NATO has to take on Russia? Maybe the thought of that war is enough to scare Russia into submission. Russia isn't the powerhouse it used to be. I bet a simple Opfor exercise is enough to make them think twice. I bet 5 Brigade's in Georgia could end this. It is only a exercise right?

Back