Georgia "Invaded" By Russian Forces

Here's a handy map that shows the borders and territorial status in the region.
georgia-area.gif

South Ossetia's unlawful annexation by Russia would mean quite a territorial loss for Georgia, considering it's pretty small to begin with. Furthermore, it might ignite new disputes in the other two regions to the southwest and northwest and cause even more losses. Russia seems determined to keep Georgia from becoming a NATO member, and of course keeping the US out of the Caucaus region.

Last edited:
What do they have against the russians?

In the air very few Mig-25 and SU-25. Very few Mil-24 Gunships.

On the ground around 250 tanks ranging from T-55 to T-72. About 400 APCs of diffrent russian makes. They did get the BILL 2 ATGM and the MBT LAW 80, both very capable anti tank weapons, i hope they have enough of those...

Yeah, I wonder when China's gonna start with the fart fart games? Maybe Taiwan is the near future target.
Russia seems to have done this when I was watching the news yesterday due to the rumors of Georgia wanting to become a part of NATO and Russia didn't want nothing to do with that. I'd like to know what Russia has panned of course but this appears to be also an operation just to get their (current) military some combat experience. We'll see. Although I would assume not so good things for Georgia they do appear to be doing pretty well so far holding their own for a country that not even 20 yrs old.

Two members of USA Volleyball Coach's family stabbed by Chinese National, then Chinese National jumps to death. Oh yeah, lovely world we live in.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were President, I would pull our Olympic personnel out of there now. Bad air, bad people, no security, no USA.

Seems that the Russians would have been keen to secure the Roki pass tunnel linking South Ossetia with Russia without which the former would have been isolated. In fact there are only a few access points into Georgia across the Caucasian mountains. Makes me wonder what could have been done with a few well placed bombs.

Last edited:
If I were President, I would pull our Olympic personnel out of there now. Bad air, bad people, no security, no USA.

Should everyone have pulled the pin on the Atlanta games when a bomb went off in 1996?
It clearly meets two of your requirements "Bad people" and "No security", I cant comment on air quality in city though.

Both MontyB and Sherman good points. I don't know, maybe it's just cuz I don't trust em since their commies and are against us on just about everything, but at same time almost always agree with the Ruskies who are also almost always against us as well.
Also, didn't think of that when I said/posted that, was thinking in the here and now. So, even though I don't like it much, I understand President Bush's words, that TOG posted, better.

Last edited:
This one's from CNN:

U.S. official: Russia's attack on Georgia is 'disproportionate'

t1land.injured.woman.ap.jpg

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Russia's use of strategic bombers and ballistic missiles against Georgia's civilians outside of the South Ossetian conflict is "far disproportionate" to Georgia's alleged attack on Russian peacekeepers, a senior U.S. official said Saturday.

The official was not authorized to speak on the record due to the sensitive nature of the diplomacy. Russia's use of its potent air weaponry signals a "severe" and "dangerous escalation in the crisis," the official said.

"For the life of me, I can't image that being a proportionate response to the charge that Georgia has attacked Russian peacekeepers," the official said. "It's hard for us to understand what Russia's plan is here."
The official said Russia is probably trying to destabilize Georgia politically to kill its chances of joining NATO.

Georgia wants to join NATO, but Russia opposes the move, concerned that the alliance's eastward march will erode its influence. NATO rejected Georgia's membership bid in April despite strong lobbying from U.S. President Bush, though the alliance promised that Georgia could join at a later date.

Still, Georgia bears some of the blame for the fighting over South Ossetia, the official said. Recently, the United States has had "very blunt exchanges with" Georgia, telling its leaders that they have no chance of winning a war with Russia and that they should stick to a path of diplomacy. The official said European allies have told the United States that Russia has "crossed a line of unacceptable behavior" and should "expect international condemnation."

"I do sense an emerging unified view among our key allies," he said.
The United Sates, Britain and NATO on Friday called for a cease-fire. And on Saturday, French President Nicolas Sarkozy proposed an immediate cease-fire as part of a three-step plan to end fighting.

Sarkozy's proposal calls for the return of Russian and Georgian troops to their former positions and requires Georgia's sovereignty and territorial integrity be respected. A statement from Sarkozy's office did not provide further details on the plan. The official also said the State Department has authorized only the voluntary departure of dependents of U.S. embassy employees from the Georgian capital of Tbilisi. The official said he did not know how many dependents would choose to leave.

Meanwhile, the U.N. Security Council held a private meeting on Georgia on Saturday, though it seemed unlikely that there would be any immediate agreement on a statement on the conflict. The U.S., European Union and international security organizations on Friday called for an end to the fighting Bush and Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on Friday discussed the conflict in Beijing, where they attended the opening of the Summer Olympics.

The EU and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe were sending envoys to Georgia to secure a cease-fire, but a senior U.S. State Department official said the United States would send only a representative after a cease-fire is in place. The European Union said it was working with other parties "towards a ceasefire in order to prevent further escalation of this conflict." EU spokeswoman Christina Gallach told CNN: "We think it is not acceptable to see these scenes of bloodshed and destruction."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/09/georgia.reax/index.html

If we were attacking in Iraq and A-stan without concern for civvie casualties, the war would be way over in those two states.

Well, Putin probably wants them to fear him and to try to gain better control to keep NATO out of the mix.
Damn this sucks, I really wanna like Putin but he makes it so damned difficult.

Well, Putin probably wants them to fear him and to try to gain better control to keep NATO out of the mix.
Damn this sucks, I really wanna like Putin but he makes it so damned difficult.
He's a man you have to respect, no matter how evil he may be...

Look at this, they're bombing civilian apartments and houses. It's not only Russia violating international law and using disproportionate force against Georgia, it's also a crime against humanity! :-x

art.georgia.war2.ap.jpg
t1home.smoke.afp.gi.jpg
This isn't pretty... looks a lot like the Yugoslavian invasion of Bosnia.

If we were attacking in Iraq and A-stan without concern for civvie casualties, the war would be way over in those two states.
I wish we could... but we can't if we're there to help them... :bang:

Back