George Galloway on Thatcher

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
The man is absolutely right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZzXqUH-hNk"]DailyPolitics: George Galloway continues anti-Margaret Thatcher rants (15Apr13) - YouTube[/ame]

BritinAfrica......George Galloway goes on about the miners, the steelworkers and the printers who were hit by Maggie. Now I am old enough to remember when Harold Wilson was PM and he levied so many taxes on the business side of things that he proudly stated he would squeeze them till you could hear the pips squeak. Then you had the above Unions turning up at 10 Downing Street laying down policy and having what the press labeled tea and sandwiches meetings, but they also got what they wanted. When Maggie took over it boiled down to who was going to run the country the people elected representatives or the Unions, so she fought them and the Unions broke themselves fighting her. Also Galloway does not mention about the miners blocking the power stations when Ted Heath was PM on 1971 and causing blackouts during that winter and a lot of people froze to death during this including my grandmother.
Can anyone tell me when the Labour party ever left the country richer after their spell in power instead of bankrupt like it has done. When Maggie took over as PM from James Callaghan we had the IMF setting policy as the country was broke, yet Maggie pulled it all back. Gordon Brown during the last election said on TV that this country had only a minor financial problems and a small tax rise would sort this out, yet this is never mentioned.

BritinAfrica......George Galloway goes on about the miners, the steelworkers and the printers who were hit by Maggie. Now I am old enough to remember when Harold Wilson was PM and he levied so many taxes on the business side of things that he proudly stated he would squeeze them till you could hear the pips squeak. Then you had the above Unions turning up at 10 Downing Street laying down policy and having what the press labeled tea and sandwiches meetings, but they also got what they wanted.

And of course there is also no mention of the Old boys networks, and the hundreds of years worth of deals done on a personal level between the barons of big business and those in power, where the the "fat cats" always seem to get what they want.

It's no different, it's just that you seem to think that the wage earners living in "two up two down should be squeezed, and the blue collar workers, thinking that those who live in landed country estates driving around in their "Rollers" should be paying their fair share to those who actually make their money for them.

Big business is not set up as a charity just to provide subsistence living for those who actually do the hard graft, it is about big profits for the owners and shareholders who at some stage almost certainly came by their money and privileged positions as a result of the work done by the blue collar workers.

All the workers want is a fair share of the spoils, because with the coming of education for the masses, they have learned that the Worker/employer relationship is in fact a symbiotic one, where neither side can succeed without the other, and workers are not so stupid as not to realise this. The days of uneducated workers who couldn't write their names let alone understand the Stock market, are long gone and anyone with a bit of nous can see where the money goes.

A classic example being Warren Buffett one of the wealthiest men in the world who stated "I'm paying a lower Tax rate than my secretary" There were numerous attempts at discrediting this story by those with vested interests, however he stated it again this year after his tax rate was raised. http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/04/news/economy/buffett-secretary-taxes/index.html

Although he is an American, the same is true in England where almost all of the wealthy who are able to set up Tax evasion schemes and hire high priced tax accountants, pay far less in the pound than those who work for them on PAYE.

All I can say is that anyone who derides unions has never had to reallyraise a sweat or risk their lives to earn their living.

Last edited:
I found this from a chap on the internet.

The "adoration" of Thatcher at her overblown funeral has set me thinking. It says a lot about people's intelligence, when they equate and confuse "strong", "courageous" leadership with "good" leadership. Surely, "good" leadership is one which serves the needs, well-being, justice and fairness of/for the majority of those people being led? That can hardly be said of Thatcher, can it? Or of any Tory government of the last 40 years, for that matter! Thereby, proving the stupidity or selfishness of those ordinary folk who continue to, nauseatingly and grovelingly, worship her and vote for the Tories, in the face of so many years of evidence and facts that by so doing they are seriously self-harming themselves, their families and friends!

Gorgeous George - arguably the biggest **** in politics today.

(with the possible exception of The Whankers Club (copyright) operating here on our boards) lol.

Last edited:
I found this from a chap on the internet.

The "adoration" of Thatcher at her overblown funeral has set me thinking. It says a lot about people's intelligence, when they equate and confuse "strong", "courageous" leadership with "good" leadership. Surely, "good" leadership is one which serves the needs, well-being, justice and fairness of/for the majority of those people being led? That can hardly be said of Thatcher, can it? Or of any Tory government of the last 40 years, for that matter! Thereby, proving the stupidity or selfishness of those ordinary folk who continue to, nauseatingly and grovelingly, worship her and vote for the Tories, in the face of so many years of evidence and facts that by so doing they are seriously self-harming themselves, their families and friends!

I think this could be said of most governments these days, it is rare that any one in politics has anything in common with the electorate.

This has been a problem developed over the last 30-40 years as political parties have taken over elections to the point now that they provide us with our "local" candidates many of them do not even reside or have ever resided in the region that is to elect them, most of them even at grass roots level are wealthy business owners, lawyers, company directors none of whom have any real understanding of social needs of the average family only how to make themselves wealthier at the expense of others and those that genuinely want to improve things are quickly ground down by the need to strictly follow the party line.

As for voting in governments that do us harm, I would suggest many democracies do not vote in governments at all they vote out governments they don't like anymore and in systems that are essentially 2 party systems we have become so indoctrinated to support one party that it is actually only a very small percentage of the population that decides the government.

For example New Zealand is basically a two party system National and Labour and roughly 30% of the population support each of those parties and will blindly support that party no matter what mentally retarded chimp they roll out for the job so there is 60% of the electorate already out of the equation another 15% or so support fringe parties and they blindly follow that path which leaves roughly 25% of the population to actually think about who they believe is the best person for the job and usually that comes down to backing the best of a bad bunch.

Back