George Cross for Iraq bomb hero

KC72

An Army bomb disposal expert who put the lives of others before his own in Iraq has been awarded the George Cross.

Capt Peter Norton, 43, of Gloucester, lost a leg and part of an arm while investigating a bombing which killed four US soldiers near Baghdad in July.

He is among 70 members of the armed forces being given medals for their role in operations around the world.

The roll of honour includes women and men who served in former Yugoslavia, Iraq, Afghanistan and Northern Ireland.

Captain Norton, of the Royal Logistics Corps, becomes only the 22nd British armed forces member to receive the award since 1945.

It ranks alongside the Victoria Cross as Britain's highest medal for bravery.

On 24 July last year, a three-vehicle US patrol was rocked by a huge blast in the Al Bayaa district near Baghdad, which killed four and injured several others.

Capt Norton, a married father-of-two, who lives at RAF Innsworth in Gloucester, led a team to the scene.

Despite being told about the threat of a secondary explosion, he instructed the coalition forces to stay in their vehicles and alone went forward to confirm whether a command wire was present.

An explosion caused extensive injuries to his legs, arms and lower abdomen.

But as he lay injured he calmly instructed the others about which areas were safe and another bomb was discovered.

His commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Robert Seddon, made that device safe and was awarded the Queen's Commendation for Bravery.

Painful memories

He said Capt Norton's clear orders in the face of terrible injuries prevented the loss of seven more lives.

Capt Norton, who now uses a wheelchair, broke down in tears as he recalled the events.

He said: "I remember stepping on the device and flying through the air before calling out for a medic.

"After I hit the ground it was really life or death for me. I could have relaxed and died but then my wife and kids came to mind."

Capt Norton told BBC News: "I was not aware of any great feeling of pain - a numbness, feeling that things were not quite right, but apart from that, still able to function.

"I could talk and hear the guys around me, see them.

"I was just able to keep going."

Among other honours, Lt Col James Woodham of the Royal Anglian Regiment received a Military Cross for helping to negotiate the freedom of two Special Forces soldiers illegally arrested in Iraq during September 2005.

The men had been arrested in Basra for allegedly shooting dead a local policeman and wounding another.

Also bestowed the Military Cross was Captain Simon Bratcher of the Royal Logistics Corps who manually deactivated a device in Maysan, Iraq, last June.

Colour Sergeant Matthew Tomlinson was credited with saving the lives of many US Marines he was commanding in combat with insurgents on the Euphrates River near Falluja in November 2004. He received the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.

Defence Secretary John Reid said: "These individuals have shown outstanding courage, bravery and tenacity in the face of the enemy or in particularly dangerous circumstances.

"They have shown exceptional commitment to their country and their heroic actions fill me with a great sense of humility and pride."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4839694.stm

A very brave man, indeed.

I must say, when I saw a bomb disposal unit arriving just outside the US embassy in London, I ran like a little girl for a mile to get out of the area.
I was (ahem) trying to avoid being caught in the security cordon (you believe me, right). Those guys were running the other way...

Back