Generation Kill on HBO

03USMC

Anybody watching Generation Kill on HBO? I've caught two episodes by chance and while I don't agree with some of the portrayals I think it pretty much nails the attitudes.

I read the book years ago. Didn't know what to make of it back then but the officer hatin' seemed pretty typical.

Oh I think that the the book nailed it. And the miniseries is pretty close. But I was watching the miniseries thinking surely the Officers were not like that! Then again I wasn't there so maybe they were.

I have every episode on my DVR. It's pretty realistic. The attitudes are what being in the service is like. Officer Hating is about as natural as a bear taking a crap in the woods.

I have every episode on my DVR. It's pretty realistic. The attitudes are what being in the service is like. Officer Hating is about as natural as a bear taking a crap in the woods.

No doubt. I've done my fair share of it. But I guess I'm just in awe of Zero's in 1st Recon being that ate up. Guess Feck (Fick? ) is the only one who earned it.

Heard and read that Sgt Major of the Marine Corps doesn't like the series, Must mean it's really close to the truth.

Sometimes I wonder if these shows are a good thing.
Often I think it's better to keep the public oblivious to what we really do since most of their jobs are pretty mysterious (too boring to make a film about, especially if you kept it realistic). Also they lose a lot of appreciation because they always fail to realize it always looks and sounds easier than it actually is.

I find that it's realism is almost too much, it's too damn realistic, I find myself reliving my own experiences from OIF I, I'm not sure that's a good thing either.

I find that it's realism is almost too much, it's too damn realistic, I find myself reliving my own experiences from OIF I, I'm not sure that's a good thing either.

I watch it and somewhat think the same from my time in the A-Stan but that's what life's about... we all enlisted and we all saw stuff and did things that we'll never forget.

Strange things make me remember the A-Stan. Smells, sounds, faces. I've just learned to deal with it and try to live on.

My time in the service is my past. It's a closed chapter.... I don't talk about it, I don't try to think about it, and I just let it set in the back of my mind. I'm never going to forget any of it but the past is the past.

It's how I deal with it.... I simply think of better times. Before and after the SHTF. Somewhat of the same deal with my experiences as a LEO. I only talk about the good. September 13th is going to be a hard day for me and I'll have to deal with it....

As for the show. It shows folks what happens. Some of it to me is funny. Things like talking crap out of my mouth just to stay awake. Trying to take a crap and not **** my pants. To me there are funny stories and fun memories attached to things like that. To other things.... they're not and they're locked away in the dark corners of my mind.

Captain Dave "Captain America" McGraw.....is he real? Or is he just made up? If he's real, how the hell he made it to captain in the Corps? He's insane and :cen:ed up.

Is it because bro had bad experience with some bozo's who had rank or is it because he's sick of Hollywood (and their types) trying to bad mouth our military personnel?

Like I said, I hate shows like this that make everyone look real stupid. Heck, as a pre-requisite everyone watching should be forced to go for 48 hours without sleep fed on nothing but combat rations (oh yeah, that's going to be fun) and then watch.

I watch it and somewhat think the same from my time in the A-Stan but that's what life's about... we all enlisted and we all saw stuff and did things that we'll never forget.

Strange things make me remember the A-Stan. Smells, sounds, faces. I've just learned to deal with it and try to live on.

My time in the service is my past. It's a closed chapter.... I don't talk about it, I don't try to think about it, and I just let it set in the back of my mind. I'm never going to forget any of it but the past is the past.

It's how I deal with it.... I simply think of better times. Before and after the SHTF. Somewhat of the same deal with my experiences as a LEO. I only talk about the good. September 13th is going to be a hard day for me and I'll have to deal with it....

As for the show. It shows folks what happens. Some of it to me is funny. Things like talking crap out of my mouth just to stay awake. Trying to take a crap and not **** my pants. To me there are funny stories and fun memories attached to things like that. To other things.... they're not and they're locked away in the dark corners of my mind.

I used to like dramas, but lately I'm more about watching to relax, a good comedy. There is such a thing as too serious, and some of that stuff really hit home, I get enough serious, heavy at work. My .02 cents.

How did you watch it?
I might get the DVD if it's really worth it. But like I said, these things have been really hard for me to watch because I did miss out on Iraq and I feel real sh*tty about it.

Back