Generation Kill on HBO

My cousin who was a Marine captain in artillery in Afghanistan said it was realistic, but it's really only from the perspective of a Lance Corporal.

I have one question after watching the series: Are reservists really that awful?

I have one question after watching the series: Are reservists really that awful?
In Germany it's a coin flip either you get a good reservist or a really really bad one... I personally met 2 bad reserve Officers, 1 really good and 1 really bad Staff Sergeant but who am I to judge :)
It's because of a Reserve Officer that i'm in the Ground Combat Supporting Regiment now :)

Last edited:
I got Generation Kill for Christmas and I am very impressed. As an OIF 1 veteran, I can easily say that I experienced a lot of what was in the series.

People talked about stupid crap in previous posts. I am here to say that just when you think soldiers have done everything they can to surprise you, they go out and do something else. Yes soldiers do stupid things and do it a lot. Just shake your head and smile.

A lot of active duty will say "stupid reservist." I did so until I deployed with the reserves. It is much harder to deploy as a weekend warrior than a active duty soldier and I give them a lot of respect because of it. In my opinion, there are stupid people everywhere.

I absolutely loved the Sergeant Major. Way to enforce the grooming standard when you lost the supply truck. Anyways every until has an NCO that is bent on enforcing garrison standards in the field when there are other stuff that needs tending to. Saluting in the field was the one I came across the most. Sniper check much?

The amount of insubordination may have been a bit much. It seems in every situation someone is questioning orders and protesting. If I learned anything about the USMC is they are :cen: hot on discipline.

The detailing of civilian casualties seems a bit too much as well. The dropping of the 1000 pound bomb within 400 meters of the one PLT seems wrong. If a BN commander is going to call that in, he will let those units know to get cover. I will give the series props for NOT showing soldiers as soldiers who will kill everything that moves.

Enough said, Generation Kill is the best example of modern war hands down. I have been to Iraq when it kicked off and tho I did not engage in direct fighting, I related to that movie like no other.

I read the book and I'm currently watching the series, the only thing I don't like so far about the movie is the SgtMaj's accent other than that its great.

The book is easily one of my favorites. Fick's book is pretty good too. I enjoyed the series but believe the book is more accurate.

Back