Generals orders

ComsDown

As fresh, bran new soldier, straight from comms school, and attached to a regular unit in Northern Norway, it was time for the traditional autumn excersise "Barfrost".

I was in a signals unit, and we where out in the field preparing comms for the excercise command staff, and I was tasked with laying down field comms wire in our camp. To do this I had to cross a frozen mud road. Orders where to dig the wire down under the road. But seeing this would be near impossible, i sugested we hang the wires in some trees, that where tall enough for traffic to pass under. But our second leutenant insisted on digging...

So there I was, armed with a trench spade, the size of a tea spoon, hacking away at frozen mud and ice, while cursing every officer in the world to doom!

Thats when I hear an "ahem" behind me. I turn around, and there is this older gent, wearing more gold on his shoulders than I though possible. It's the General Inspector of the Army, the Norwegian acronym is G.I.H or popularily refered to as "God in Heaven", and he wants to now the reason for my irrate language.

So I tell him in a more polite and military fasion, that my orders are to dig the phone wires down, and point out that I am somewhat inadequately equipped for the task at hand.

The old man, points at the trees, and tell me to "Hang 'em up there, lad"

Naturally when the good second Leutenant spots this, he wants to know why I ignored his orders...

and well, imagine my grin as I replied: Generals orders, Fenrik! (Fenrik = 2nd Leutenant) :salute:

Last edited:
Hehe...for a 2lt. it's about enough to tell him it's Co's order, or approved by the commander.
Been there, done that. :angel:

Back