General Says U.S. Has Proof Iran Arming Iraqi Militias

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
USA Today
January 31, 2007
Pg. 1

Bush vows to find, arrest suppliers
By Jim Michaels, USA TODAY
BAGHDAD — Iran is supplying Iraqi militias with a variety of powerful weapons including Katyusha rockets, the No. 2 U.S. general in Iraq said Tuesday.
"We have weapons that we know through serial numbers … that trace back to Iran," Lt. Gen. Raymond Odierno said in an interview with USA TODAY.
His comments came as the Bush administration has been taking an increasingly tough stance against what it alleges is Iranian meddling in sectarian violence in Iraq. Last week, the White House confirmed that the president had authorized U.S. troops to take action against Iranian agents in Iraq who present threats.
On Tuesday, President Bush vowed to crack down on those who supply Iraqi insurgents with arms, though he denied any plans to invade Iran.
"We'll deal with it by finding their supply chains and their agents and … arresting them. … In other words, we're going to protect our troops," Bush told ABC News.
Odierno did not provide further details on how weapons were linked to Iran. The Iranian government has denied providing weapons to Iraqi militias.
Most weapons supplied by Iran end up in the hands of Shiite extremists, Odierno said.
He said the weapons include:
•The RPG-29, a rocket-propelled grenade that can fire armor-piercing rounds. It is larger and more sophisticated than the RPG-7 more commonly found in Iraq.
•Katyusha rockets, so large they are generally fired from trucks.
•Powerful roadside bombs, known as explosively formed projectiles, which can pierce armor. The technological know-how and "some of the elements to make them are coming out of Iran," Odierno said.
Several Iranians have been detained in raids inside Iraq, and some remain in custody. The arrests have provided clues about Iranian operations, Odierno said.
"Every time you pick up individuals, you learn about how they facilitate themselves within a country," he said.
He did not specify whether the Iranians in custody are cooperating or whether evidence was seized during the arrest.
Iran's ambassador to Iraq told The New York Times this week that Iran was taking steps to expand military and economic ties with Iraq.

Oh the Presidents vows mean very little.
President Bush did after all vow to get Osama bin Laden years back, and look how that turned out.

Gator

From "DEAD or ALIVE!" to "MARGINALIZED" then finally "I really don't care about OBL". That's our Georgie...

But back to subject. The fact that Iran is involved in helping Shiite militias is hardly news, they were doing the same thing BEFORE Saddam fell as well.

If President Bush said that the Iranians were in fact Persians I would not take his word for it and wait for an independent review of the matter.

I tell my Marines "Here is the problem" *outline problem* "Here is what I want the end result to be" *describes end result*. I leave it to them to obtain the required results within the rules and regulations governing them.

This is how war should be conducted and tell all the other people with their thumb in the pie to get the heck away and let us do our job.

I tell my Marines "Here is the problem" *outline problem* "Here is what I want the end result to be" *describes end result*. I leave it to them to obtain the required results within the rules and regulations governing them.

This is how war should be conducted and tell all the other people with their thumb in the pie to get the heck away and let us do our job.

What you first describe is how things work until corporate BS or the Gubment gets involved.....

Team Infidel and 5x56

Speak for yourselves.

He's the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. He's maybe even YOUR President, But he is NOT MY my President. When he started ignoring the law, ignoring the very foundations of our constitution, and by going against the very interests of the United States he stopped being my president.

If you two want to go down with the TITANIC thats your business, don't expect the rest of us to do just because he happens to be the President.

Another reason, every since he took office he made it very clear about his disdain about people that didn't vote for him. This is not just sour grapes about losing. I'm talking about all the nasty deeds he pulled on us (especially those from blue states) for the first 3 years He didn't miss an opportunity to 'stick it' to us. It was pure political payback (and lets not deny Shrubs vengeful streak, its well established). He made that VERY clear about NYC after 9-11, about NO after Katrina and about CA with their energy crisis.

Do your honestly expect me pledge loyalty to him? Ain't going to happen!

The pledge of allegiance states "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the USA and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands". It says NOTHING about the President himself. I have respect for the Office of the President but none for the man who has taken it hostage.

Bush can burn in hell for all I care, (and he probably will too).

Last edited:
Team Infidel and 5x56

Speak for yourselves.

If you two want to go down with the TITANIC thats your business, don't expect the rest of us to do just because he happens to be the President.

That's an awful fatalistic view of current events. You can add me to the list so there is at least three of us now.

Another reason, every since he took office he made it very clear about his disdain about people that didn't vote for him. This is not just sour grapes about losing. I'm talking about all the nasty deeds he pulled on us (especially those from blue states) for the first 3 years He didn't miss an opportunity to 'stick it' to us. It was pure political payback (and lets not deny Shrubs vengeful streak, its well established). He made that VERY clear about NYC after 9-11, about NO after Katrina and about CA with their energy crisis.

What kind of nasty deeds? I thought the President grieved over 911 as much and more than a lot of people.

And as far as NO, the Corps of Engineers builds dams, bridges, levees and such but then they are turned over to the State to maintain. If they decided to put that money somewhere else, it wasn't the Federal Government's fault.

And for California's energy crisis, the people who protest drilling for oil in the US are mostly cloistered in California.

Do your honestly expect me pledge loyalty to him? Ain't going to happen!

I'm sure he is totally underwhelmed about what you think of him.

The pledge of allegiance states "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the USA and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands". It says NOTHING about the President himself. I have respect for the Office of the President but none for the man who has taken it hostage.

Bush can burn in hell for all I care, (and he probably will too).

By having to deal with lefties in the country, he's already in hell.

And as far as NO, the Corps of Engineers builds dams, bridges, levees and such but then they are turned over to the State to maintain. If they decided to put that money somewhere else, it wasn't the Federal Government's fault.

Ya'know, I just can't understand why people cannot grasp the concept of STATE responsibility. If the Federal Government is going to have to play babysitter to states to keep them on track, why even have states at all?

Ya'know, I just can't understand why people cannot grasp the concept of STATE responsibility. If the Federal Government is going to have to play babysitter to states to keep them on track, why even have states at all?

The concept of the Federal Government being an omnipotent father figure who takes care of us from cradle to grave is just not true and never will be no matter who is in office.:read:

That's an awful fatalistic view of current events. You can add me to the list so there is at least three of us now.

You are right, but I feel its accurate. There are lots of people that sank with the SS George Bush. Just to name one: Colin Powell. He paid a rather heavy price for being Bush's emissary and then later goat. Not only did he sink with the ship, but the NEOCONS made sure he was lashed to the front of it to make sure he went down first. He wasn't the only one.

What kind of nasty deeds? I thought the President grieved over 911 as much and more than a lot of people.

I never said he was heartless at human suffering. If he was simply a monster than that would explain alot. I think he think he does feel about 9-11 victims, katrina victims, the KIA\WIA in Iraq but he's so damn weak, he is a slave to his pride, his arrogence, his ideology, to the influance of the people the advise him. He feels the pain, but he does NOTHING to try and heal it. Words are only worth something if they are followed by action. As for the nasty tricks he has reneged on promises to pay for the 9-11 and Katrina. I find it odd the Mississippi which suffered far less damage was granted chunks of FEMA aid when NO which was far worse off got nearly zip. (and they are still fighting FEMA for it). There was also the fact that he purposely delayed the repayment of Federal loans by the state of NY and other blue states, and Cheneys dirty little fingers were all over the energy in CA (who was then run by a Democrat). Too many coincidences that people on the recieving end were Democrats.

They stopped the flooding, but they have not allocated the Funds necessary to repair the damage to the poorer areas as was promised, nor did they invest in improving the Levee system so that incidents like this dont occur. As with 9-11 they simply waited for the news to get cold and quietly abandoned them.

And for California's energy crisis, the people who protest drilling for oil in the US are mostly cloistered in California.

I am referring to the price gouging which was all done by companies with very deep ties to the Bush Administration. In other words, he allowed the situation to occur to A) help his friends B) Punish the people in California.

I'm sure he is totally underwhelmed about what you think of him.

I know, and thats exactly whats got him into so much trouble. People have long memories, to those whom spite us. Bush didn't have to do that, but that little nasty streak him couldn't resist. 6 years ago he thought he didn't need us. A stupid and dangerous assumption, as predicted the Neocon fantasy self-destructed, and now he needs our help. He can rot, I gotta tell you, his ability to get himself deeper and deeper into dog dung as each day passes has really brightened up my day. I do feel sorry for those who are indirectly suffering for this mans foolishness, the military, the families of military, the poor the middle class, etc. It will be over soon.

And It didn't have to be this way. I didn't like Reagan very much, but at least Reagan wasn't as nasty (or incompetant) as Bush is. He he didn't use the Cold War to trample all over Civil Rights. Most Liberals would gladly take 8 years of Reagan to 1 year of Bush.

By having to deal with lefties in the country, he's already in hell.

Then he ain't seen nothing yet. If he though lefties were bad the 6 years they were out of power, just wait until the 110 Congress gets rolling. Its going to be open season on his butt, its already started. And its not just lefties anymore I see several Rightwingers joining as well. Warner, McCain, Hagel, Snowe, Collins, Graham, Gordon, Specter and even a few arch conservatives like Brownback, Gingrich, Buckley.

The president has very few friends left...

I Look forward to your reply, but its 2am we will continue tommorow. Off to bed.

Last edited:
Shh...MMarsh, why don't you go back to France and your proper president, Jacques Chirac. Former governor and President Bush is my boss for 11 years. Anyway, I know Iranians did supplying the Iraqi Militias. But don't forget about Syria. They did supplying the insurgents, too.

Last edited:
Gator how good is your sign language? Fox is hearing impaired and you should cut him some slack on his use of our language as I'm sure he would afford you if your screwed up when trying to communicate with him in sign language.

First of all mmarsh.. your are French and only see a view of the United States and the President from a Sky News and CNN International perspective. You have NO right to claim President Bush as your own as you did in the first post.

I work at the leisure of the Office of the President of the United States and have for over 14 years, under Republicans and Democrats, and I will tell you one thing for sure, when I wake up in two years and there is a new President, either a Rep or a Dem, I will still have a job and I will be just as loyal to that office as I am today and as I was 14 years ago.

That's one thing you don't and will never understand. It's not about the person, it's about the office.

Go eat a sack of "Freedom Fries" for me and have a nice day because France owes the United States soooooo much, you forget sometimes that if it weren't for aggressive Presidents, you would be speeking German right now.

Team Infidel

CONGRATULATIONS YOUR'RE WRONG ON ALL COUNTS.

How many times must I repeat myself? I AM AN AMERICAN JUST LIKE YOU. I just work in France for a US company. I was Born in NYC in 1972, went to US high School and College. I lived there my entire life except for the last 8 years. I vote in ALL the elections. I have been here almost 2 years, Why can cannot you right-wingers understand this! I am American who works overseas SHEEESH! It ain't that hard to understand. Its all explained in the signature had you been bothered enough to read it. I'll post it again, but it shows up on every post I write a the bottom.

"I get this question a lot. I am dual-citizen French-American. I am from NYC. I fly a French flag because I work for the Paris Office of my company".

I understand its about the Office. But as myself and others have said, you can respect the office without having to respect the man who current resides in it. Bush shows no respect for the Office of President by his constant ignoring of the Constitution especally on the limitations of presidential power. Bush's problem is that he thinks he's the United States Government, (aka an Imperial Presidency, like Nixon did). But he's not, he only part of it. (there are two other parts which he holds in contempt) And since Bush wont respect the Office of the President (or the law, or the constitution, or the will of the people) I certainly will not not respect Bush.

That's my right as an AMERICAN citizen, unlike you I am not in the military, and as a civilian, I don't have to kiss the president's butt. As I said, if you want to follow this train wreck be my guest, but most of us are getting off at the next stop.

Finally, If you bothered to read a US history book like US History for Dummies (thats the real title of the book, not an insult) you know the score is tied (guy named Lefayette ring any bells?). If it weren't for France we would still be a colony of the British Empire so go enjoy your English tea and crumpets, while I munch my 'Pommes Frites'. That's French for French fries. it really means 'fried potatoes'. Freedom Fries is the idiot name given by ignorant right-wingers whom actually thought 'French Fries' were actually from France (they are from Belgium). and that the French would really care if they changed the name). I assure you, the only effect here was the bewilderment of how nasty and stupid certain people in Washington are.

look below

Last edited:
Back