General Peter Pace Nominated To Be Next Chairman JCS

Charge 7

Master Gunner
Congratulations to General Pace, USMC. President Bush has nominated him to be the next Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He is currently serving as the Vice-Chairman and is expected to easily be approved by Congress. This will be the first time that a Marine has held the highest position (other than the Commander-in-Chief) in the US military.

You can read more about him here:

http://www.dtic.mil/jcs/core/vcjcs.html

Gen. Pace is a good choice. My question is this. Will the the big three (Army, Navy and Air Force) actually not fight having a Marine in the Top Slot?

I bet there will be some bruised egos but as for actively fighting it, I'd be shocked if they did. The Commander-in-Chief has made his choice. They aren't going to go against that. I expect the Navy will be the least pleased as the Marine Corps has always been under their aegis before this. Now the highest ranking admiral will have to answer to a Marine.

I'm really surprised that Gen. Pace got the nomination of POTUS to be honest. I remember when the scuttlebutt was that Gen. Boomer was up for the big slot after GW1. That went away quickly and he got Southern Command for awhile after The Bear retired. No doubt after some lobbying.

But yeah if Pete Pace is appointed theres gonna be alot of flag officers with hang dog faces.

Personally, and I'm sure you'll agree with me, I think this is a long time coming and hopefully the first step in the Marine Corps being given full standing as every bit an independent service as any other. True, they are a seperate branch but they've always been in the Navy's shadow. It's a different world of course now and the Marines have long been our nation's largest fast reaction force and sent off with little Navy interaction at all. They should continue to be partners with the Navy, but just as the Army and Air Force are partners, have their own autonomy.

I agree I'd like to see that happen. But breaking the Corps away from the Navy might end up like a knife fight in an elevator. DON will fight it tooth and nail......where else would the divert funds from? :lol:

I can see your point! :lol:

Well, I guess the appointment says it all anyway. Having a Marine general be the CJCS is indication enough that the Marine Corps has it's fair share of the command structure.

Back