Was General Montgomery really overrated in WW2? - Page 8

--

November 30th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Two other excellent books on Monty are

Monty: The Battles of Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery by Nigel Hamilton (Random House)

The Lonely Leader 1944/1945 by Alistair Horne (Harper Collins).

You will get plenty of criticism of Monty in these two and reasons why he fell out with the Americans in WW2 as well as a lot of other people. Even so, he was still adored by his troops!!!

Can't understand your fixation on finding an American author. Maybe you better stick to Stephen Ambrose.
If the guy wants to offer any decent explanations about why American contemporaries and American soldiers didn't think as highly of Monty as the Brits did -- well you're going to have to read some American sources, compare them to British sources and do some filtering to sort out the truth of it. Both the UK and the USA are likely to be guilty of unfair bias.
December 1st, 2004  
Young Winston

Apart form Ambrose, got any other suggestions. I have been looking but no luck on finding American writers who have written directly on Monty. Must be some out there.

The amount of info on Montgomery already is very substantial. Good and bad, biased and unbiased.

As I have already stated, some of the English authors I have read go to great lengths to discuss the documented American view, particularly Normandy and beyond.

Books on Patton also give plenty of American viewpoints on Monty.
December 1st, 2004  
Big_Z

I believe the reason Americans are so critical of Montgomery is because of operation "Market Garden". American troops really do not like serving under anyone that isn't American. Montgomery screwed up real bad with this operation and it costed 10,000 lifes who happened to be some of America's and the UK's finest [Paratroopers] amongst other units as well. Sorry if this has already been said, I haven't read the entire topic.

Aussiejohn - I thought Battle of the bulge was mainly Americans.
--
December 1st, 2004  
Young Winston

I thought it was too. Monty did have commmand of some of the American forces that helped defend at the B of B. He did a good job.

We were talking about American authors who have written opinions/biographical material about Monty. I haven't found any as yet.

Most books I have read about Monty cover plenty of reasons why the Americans didn't like him. Opinions are well documented. Patton had plenty to say about him.

Reasons for ill feeling:

e.g Caen, Falaise, his crticism of Eike and how the campaign was conducted after Normandy, Arnhem, his boastful personality and more!!!
December 1st, 2004  
Big_Z

Sorry I must had misread your post, I thought you were saying it was mainly brits. Liquor does funny things to the mind.
December 1st, 2004  
Young Winston

Thats OK mate. I could do with a drink myself at the moment.

Another point, I think Monty nearly got the sack.
December 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I could really use a dring right now, and I don't even drink. 8 hours of tech support for an ISP, its likely to make you think suicide is a great idea.
December 4th, 2004  
Bellerophon

The reason Americans don't like Monty is cuz he commanded D/Day.
The fact that D/Day was always a British plan( the architect was Lt Gen Frederick Morgan) goes right over American heads.

In reality Eisenhower never commanded one battle in his entire career.

Watch 'A Bridge Too Far' it's a hoot.The Americans have serious issues with Monty,he was an arrogant so&so,but he was as good as the next best allied commander.
December 6th, 2004  
Young Winston

If you read Chalfont's book, he explains clearly why the Americans didn't like Monty (see my previous post).

His "Big Thrust on Berlin" Plan caused the biggests headaches for Eisenhower. He never got the hint until Eisenhower nearly sacked him, that it wasn't a goer.

Monty's comments after the Battle of the Bulge about American Command was very insulting to the Americans.
December 6th, 2004  
schoolnoob

Aussie John - I like your suggestion on books about Patton. I never quite thought of that. Perhaps i could also look at books on Ike and other US generals.

I've been sifting around for material on key battles involving Monty. So far ive found plenty on D-day and El Alamein but books on Operation Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge come up short. It seems to me that a lot of them are narrative books dealing with soldiers experiences rather than an analytical book which accounts for the battle and offers opinions on certain leaders etc. Any Suggestions.

I certainly agree to the point that market garden may be the reason why US does not like Monty as it was a dismal failure and in my opinion an ill conceived plan. Not too sure about the Bulge, i dont quite know enough about his role there.

btw, what exactly did Monty say about the American high command?