Was General Montgomery really overrated in WW2? - Page 35

--

July 27th, 2007  
Lord Londonderry

He was a very good planner when his mind was on the job.
August 30th, 2007  
Young Winston

An excellent planner but had problems getting on with others.
August 30th, 2007  
LeEnfield

Didn't General MacArthur say of Ike he was the best clerk he ever had on his staff. In saying that I think he was the best man for the job, like every one else they all made mistakes except some people get picked on more than others
--
September 3rd, 2007  
Josh678

OK I just want to say I don't like Monty because he was a prima donna .Even though I like Patton and MacArthur at least they admitted they were prima donnas which is why I like them.But overall Monty hasome great ideas the timing was just poor.
September 3rd, 2007  
LeEnfield

Much of the information that might have caused Monty to call off operation Market Garden was never passed on to him, as there so many Airborne officers were just to keen to go. Okay it was his idea and had been launched a few days earlier it could have been a resounding success, but the planning and arrangements were left to other people to deal with.
March 21st, 2008  
errol

How many Allied soldiers lives were lost in Market Garden?
March 21st, 2008  
LeEnfield

My regiment lost 8,000, the one thing the Allies did not do well was the pincer movement. Both the Russian and Germans did this rather well and apart from Falsie we never tried to do any thing like this
March 21st, 2008  
Del Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Much of the information that might have caused Monty to call off operation Market Garden was never passed on to him, as there so many Airborne officers were just to keen to go. Okay it was his idea and had been launched a few days earlier it could have been a resounding success, but the planning and arrangements were left to other people to deal with.

Le -does it hold true that one of his strengths was that his troops 'loved' him?
March 21st, 2008  
LeEnfield

Del Boy...........I would not go as far to say his troops loved him, In North Africa they respected him, he put new strength into the Army and would not fight an offensive battle unless he stood a great chance of winning. He stopped the idea that Rommel was unbeatable, he told his army that they would fight and die where they stood and that there would not be any further retreats once he took over. He re-quipped and retrained his army. It was this positive attitude that they respected.
April 16th, 2008  
FULLMETALJACKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciste
Can a man be overrated just because he never were always succesful? I don't think so.
Montgomery was a great defensive commander, and also a good offensive one, but, unlike Rommel, he liked to build up carefully every inch of power he could gather to unleash them all at once against the enemy.
Remember his division was the one which retreated to Dunkirk on perfect formation and carrying all his equipment, because he trained them hard all along the "phony war". He was a good commander, but their colleagues weren't so.
On Africa he managed to rally the demoralized british troops, to train them and to gather anything which could be throw to Germans... and if he didn't destroyed them on Alamein was because of his "neverdaring" nature, which lend him not to run risks at all, and becouse of the mastery of Rommel moving his poor forces (the German ones, 'cos' the Italians were left behind as useless pieces).
Maybe not the best, but much better than some others.
True enough