Was General Montgomery really overrated in WW2? - Page 32

--

December 13th, 2006  
Strongbow

"Enfidaville" is forgotten by many people who glory in Monty's North African exploits.
December 22nd, 2006  
Lord Londonderry

Yes, Enfidaville. Not one of Monty's great moments.
December 22nd, 2006  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Sam
I think of him as a very bad general! If he was commander instead of Eisenhower, we would have lost the war!
Nazis would be marching in Europe like an angry bull in a Texas Rodeo!

He won in Africa simply because Romell was sick in Berlin(Tifus), and when he came back everything went wrong for nazis( ), other wise we would certainly loose Africa , 'till operation "Torch", where Eisenhower would command, and everything would be O.K. !
Eisenhower(my favourite general ) & Monti were not so well friends, 'cause Dwight knew he wasn't a good General.... Every operation he started was failure from the begining! More of our men died brcause of him!
I am sorry to say this but you have NO idea what you're talking about. The above post is wrong in so many ways I don't know even where to begin.
--
December 23rd, 2006  
Damien435

I have to agree with the above statement.
December 23rd, 2006  
senojekips

Monty's biggest failing was that he was a "showpony" and this was only made worse by the fact that he was placed in a position where he was often compared with G.S. Patton. This bought out the worst in both of them as people.
December 23rd, 2006  
SHERMAN

being compared to Patton isent good for you in any sens....

I believe ive said it here before(this is an old thread)- He was not at all a poor general, and he certinly dident win in north africa because rommel was out sick. Wbat kind of an excuse is that anyways? Rommel left a battle plan and competent German generals to fight monty.
December 29th, 2006  
senojekips

Yes Sherman, I must agree, by the time of Monty's win in the desert, poor commanders just didn't last. They were replaced very quickly.

Both Monty and Patton were good leaders, they inspired their men and their tactics although quite different, were very sound.
January 5th, 2007  
Young Winston

Monty definitely lacked something when he had the chance to attack and roll up the Germans.
January 5th, 2007  
senojekips

Yes, mainly men and equipment.
January 8th, 2007  
Strongbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
Yes, mainly men and equipment.
Definitely.