Was General Montgomery really overrated in WW2? - Page 27

--

March 13th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Hey big Z
How about supporting some of your blasted one liners with a little substance. Saying 'cause' (or) 'because' don't get it ..............
March 14th, 2006  
zander_0633

Ok, you can read all the history articles about General Patton! He use the M-4 Sherman to attack! At that time, he knew that those tanks were no match for the Superior German Panzer! by doing so, he had already caused 1000's of men their life!
March 14th, 2006  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes
The more interesting question is was Patton overrated!

Be interested to know why you believe he was overrated.
Well it depends on who you talk to but I find that often Patton is rated the best general of WW2 simply because he is well known, rather like Rommel in that regard. So in that respect he is overrated. I think he was a very good armoured commander, who showed flair and dash and understood the need for momentum. However, he went too far in trying to realise his own personal ambitions and the troops under him, both directly and indirectly, suffered for it. IMO he made a critical error of judgment when he recomended keeping in the M4 when the M26 was available. Whilst the mobility of the M4 certainly was an asset the limitations and drawbacks of the tank severely outweighed that advantage.
--
March 27th, 2006  
Strongbow

Patton certainly knew how to sell himself to the public and so did Monty.

General Slim was definitely not like these two.
March 28th, 2006  
zander_0633

General Slim? Who's that?>
March 29th, 2006  
LeEnfield

Zander, if you do not know the answer to any thing have you ever thought of going into google and looking it up.
March 30th, 2006  
zander_0633

Well, my com can't use google or Yahoo, it is locked by the Admin!
April 12th, 2006  
Lord Londonderry

We concentrate a lot on Monty at El Alemein and then Normandy but forget about his role in the debacle that was the Dieppe Raid (August 1942) by the Canadians.
April 12th, 2006  
Strongbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Londonderry
We concentrate a lot on Monty at El Alemein and then Normandy but forget about his role in the debacle that was the Dieppe Raid (August 1942) by the Canadians.
I think the Canadians have to take a fair bit of responsibility for acceptance of the Dieppe plan. All the blame for it cannot be shovelled onto Monty.
April 14th, 2006  
zander_0633

Well, in wad way?