Was General Montgomery really overrated in WW2? - Page 26

--

March 10th, 2006  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Redcoat....Rommel did return to north Africa and did take charge of several of the Battles that were fought there.
Sorry, but no.
Rommel did not return, you may be confusing this sick leave with the one he had just before the third battle of El Alamein.
March 10th, 2006  
Rabs

Quote:
The more interesting question is was Patton overrated!
While IMO he was the most sucessful (regardless of cost) European theater commander in WW2 he may be a bit overated in the history books.
March 10th, 2006  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiben
The answer to that is simple.

Yes.
--
March 11th, 2006  
zander_0633

Alright, now for the next questions!
March 11th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiben
Different types of Generals. I would say that they both had qualities and flaws, perhaps complementary flaws. Monty was a master of the set piece. Britain couldnt afford to take sustain casualties, which affects strategy. Britain had manpower shortages following D-Day.

Britain had been fighting the war since 1939, when it was not well prepared.

I agree with you and the answer is YES - Patton was also over-rated.
March 11th, 2006  
zander_0633

haha!
March 12th, 2006  
Ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bones
You are correct as far as you have gone ... by the time Arnim took over Rommel's forces (because of Rommel's illness), the plan of battle was already set and all Arnim did was to implement the plans laid out by Rommel. Arnim using Rommel's plans, tried a combined tank and troop 'slash' attack that had worked every time it was used before and was 'bushwhacked' by Patton's forces who were waiting in ambush.
Your suggestion that Patton defeated Rommel by proxy, in that one of his subordinates followed Rommels plans, is drawing a very long bow.
One of Rommels great strengths was his adaptability, being able to quickly change tactics that weren't working for a more suitable one, which was just one of the reasons why he was regarded as such a brilliant commander.
He wasn't called the Desert Fox for nothing.

Quote ...........
"Monty's men also hated his guts but didn't resoundingly support Monty in his tactics."
__________________________________________________ ____________

From everything I've read or seen about Monty, which is quite a lot, he appeared to be extremely popular with the men fighting under him, so I'd also be interested to know how you came to the conclusion that they "hated his guts" or "didn't resoundingly support" him.
His "butcher bills", as you call them, were largely in his battles around Caen, where, as LeEnfield correctly points out, he drew the vast bulk of the Panzers against his sector, enabling the Americans to break out in Operation Cobra.
March 12th, 2006  
zander_0633

I think the winner is Romel as he is a great commander!
March 13th, 2006  
Ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
The answer to that is simple.

Yes.
Be interested to know why you believe he was overrated.
March 13th, 2006  
zander_0633

Cause he won at the Expense of his troops!