Geert Wilders banned for controversial film about Islam

perseus

Would you ban a politician entering the country for producing this film?
http://fitna-koran.blogspot.com/

Would we have even heard about it if directed against the Christian religion? I suppose the difference is that most Christian atrocities were committed far in the past or are today far more subtle and indirect. However, I could find quotes even more shocking from the Old Testament.

Freedom Party MP Geert Wilders had been invited to show his controversial film - which links the Islamic holy book to terrorism - in the UK's House of Lords. But Mr Wilders, who faces trial in his own country for inciting hatred, has been denied entry by the Home Office.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7885918.stm

This is the problem with the world

Each government holds something against a certain group of people [Well, large governments mainly]

Bush had it against Islam, Putin might have it against Georgia etc etc.

I'd be quite happy to ban anybody that promotes hate against others, th eproblem is that the UK govt isn't treating everyone equally, look at the fact that we'd allowed Abu Hamza to live at the taxpayers expense in the UK, for so many years - whilst he promoted hate against us!!

To my mind extremists need to be marginalised, they way to do that is not by inviting to meet with the Highest Court in the Land - but to undermine their childish and biased ideas by ridiculing them.

I'd be quite happy to ban anybody that promotes hate against others, th eproblem is that the UK govt isn't treating everyone equally, look at the fact that we'd allowed Abu Hamza to live at the taxpayers expense in the UK, for so many years - whilst he promoted hate against us!!

To my mind extremists need to be marginalised, they way to do that is not by inviting to meet with the Highest Court in the Land - but to undermine their childish and biased ideas by ridiculing them.

Are you sure this is a government problem?
I see a lot of arguments that the UK government is pandering to these people but most countries have anti-hate laws on their books and it is the role of the police to enforce those laws so unless the government is specifically preventing the police from acting (and for all I know they may be) then it is not in my view a government problem.

UK has the right to deny access, if thats what they want.

Now that being said.

Would I? No probably not.

If the film had been about Christianty would this be an issue? No I don't think it would.

Is this about appeasing the element of Radical Islam in the hopes that they'll not raise hobb in the streets? Yes I think it probably is.

Is this about appeasing the element of Radical Islam in the hopes that they'll not raise hobb in the streets? Yes I think it probably is.
I think it's about banning films that do nothing but create rifts between different grops of people in a country.

They didn't ban the film. They denied entry to the producer. The film was still screened.

IMHO he was denied entry because the Islamofacists have declared Jihad on him. It was appeasement to them.

They didn't ban the film. They denied entry to the producer. The film was still screened.

IMHO he was denied entry because the Islamofacists have declared Jihad on him. It was appeasement to them.
True, got to represent freedom of speech...

I'm certainly far from islamofacist but I have to day the claims of this guy are absurd. I'd be POed if some muslim guy wrote a book or did a movie about how christianity is a political farce.

Are you sure this is a government problem?
I see a lot of arguments that the UK government is pandering to these people but most countries have anti-hate laws on their books and it is the role of the police to enforce those laws so unless the government is specifically preventing the police from acting (and for all I know they may be) then it is not in my view a government problem.

I'm very sure it is a gov't problem, this is a case of the judiciary weighing in with its political views. Check out Private Eye with reference to Sheikh Khalid bin Mahfouz, who is using the British judiciary as his own censoring unit. I feel that the GB judiciary is a disgrace, I could wax lyrical about their failings and shortcomings, but suffice to say, they are more morally corrupt than any pleasure bazaar you could name.

True, got to represent freedom of speech...

I'm certainly far from islamofacist but I have to day the claims of this guy are absurd. I'd be POed if some muslim guy wrote a book or did a movie about how christianity is a political farce.

How would you feel if an atheist did? Richard Dawkins sees Christianity and all forms of theistic belief as intellectual viruses. He writes

I could have cited those American rapture Christians whose powerful influence on middle eastern policy is governed by their biblical belief that Israel has a god given right to all lands of Palestine

He also quotes Sam Harris in his Letter to a Christian nation

Forty-four percent of the American population is convinced that Jesus will return to judge the living and the dead sometime in the next fifty years. According to the most common interpretation of biblical prophecy, Jesus will return only after things have gone horribly awry here on earth. It is, therefore, not an exaggeration to say that if the city of New York were suddenly replaced by a ball of fire, some significant percentage of the American population would see a silver lining in the subsequent mushroom cloud, as it would suggest to them that the best thing that is ever going to happen was about to happen--the return of Christ. It should be blindingly obvious that beliefs of this sort will do little to help us create a durable future for ourselves--socially, economically, environmentally, or geopolitically. Imagine the consequences if any significant component of the U.S. government actually believed that the world was about to end and that its ending would be glorious. The fact that nearly half of the American population apparently believes this, purely on the basis of religious dogma, should be considered a moral and intellectual emergency.

To be fair his main attack is on religion generally, including Islam, but he singles out the Old Testament more than the Koran

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

Perhaps we might be better off taking our chances with this guy!
:firedevi:

Last edited:

I see a bit of a double standard myself. I agree that the UK can deny entry to whomever they wish, but yet they deny entry to people like Geert Wilders or US Rappers (who have criminal convictions) like Snoop Dog and 50 Cent, and YET they allow Terrorist and their sympathizers like Shiek Hamza to come right in. These agitators are not even wanted for in their own country (these countries governments are thrilled that the UK takes them off their hands) because they are so dangerous why on earth are the british allowing them?

US politics is plain stupid sometimes, but british politics is so bizarre, its incomprehensable.

Back