GED yes or no?

KevinPruitt

Hi!
I talked to a recruiter and sent him my german school stuff, that's what he answered
-> As of right now, your evaluation was done. It comes out to the 10th
grade level of HS for US.

So, my question is
Do i need a GED to join?

I would ask a recruiter, but they aren't in their office on weekend.

Did you complete your schooling? You need at least a GED to join the US armed forces.

In the day when I joined the Army (Dec 1961 .. age 17), I hadn't yet completed the 11th grade. Back then, the GED was administered over a three day period - I took the series in one day and passed ALL portions. I scored high enough that I was provisionally offered Officer Candidate School (OCS) when I turned 18 ... which I turned down (I hadn't planned on making the military a career ... which I ended up doing anyway). It allowed me to re-enlist and attend a school that I wouldn't have otherwise qualified for.

It took over 30 years to get my 20 years (6 Army, a break of almost 10 years and then almost 15 years in the Navy) - I retired as a Chief Petty Officer with over 20 years ..(20 years 17 days .. day-for-day active).

I highly recommend anyone that doesn't have a High School Diploma, get your GED as quickly as possible - take the time and effort to do so - you will NEVER regret it. It can open doors that would otherwise be closed to you.

Back