Gays in military?

Here’s my observation on the topic. I’m lucky to be in two uniformed branches – the Australian Army and Navy. It’s a rare privilege.

I have met gays in the army and the navy although most of them are lesbians. Gay males are rare in the Australian Services but we do have them. Lesbian soldiers and sailors seem to be fully accepted and they have plenty of female friends (straight and gay) inside their Service. I have never seen or had reported to me any incidents or examples of prejudice, discrimination, or harassment towards lesbian soldiers, sailors, recruits or officers.

Gay males however do cop some heat but not from their superiors or the Defence system which actually protects their rights. They do find themselves on the outer with other males in the Services or are made fun of - usually behind their backs. They have few friends inside the Service. The stronger willed ones stay in the Service but many eventually leave. "Masculine" gay males are treated a lot better than "effeminate" gay males. The latter tend not be survive training but thats because they can't handle the rigors of training. There is no harassment of any of them as such, but what tends to happen is that their equals or peers in the platoon or ship shun them. On social occasions like parties and BBQ’s they are not invited. Conversations with them are kept to polite short exchanges. If a male soldier, sailor, or recruit is thought to be gay or is public about his homosexuality it does receive an adverse reaction among his fellow platoon / squad members. Again, his superiors don’t seem to be bothered. The negative reaction comes mostly from the gay member’s peers.

In the cases I know of, the homosexual soldier/sailor can do his/her job just as well as anybody. Their physical and mental skills are up to the tasks that their category or Corps demand. The hopeless one’s don’t get through training just like the straight one’s don’t get through if they can't hack the pace.

I tend to support the “don’t ask don’t tell” policy, mostly in relation to gay males not so much in relation to lesbians. Maybe it’s an imperfect policy. I strongly advise gay males not to flaunt their homosexuality even if they are in an environment where straight guys are loud about their attraction to females or boast of their sexual conquests. If the gay male did, it does affect morale and invites a negative reaction in most young males.

I'm not saying gay males should be banned from the Armed Services but it is my observation that their known presence in a platoon or ship does have a negative affect. Interestingly, from my observations, lesbians are more accepted in the Armed Services. Other people and in other countries may have different observations or experiences, but these have been mine.

Dont ask dont tell doesn't work because it can be used to blackmail a service member into collaborating with a foreign agent into revealing information in exchange for their silence on a career ending piece of information.

Padre, I think, IMHO, that females are more at ease and accepting of the situation of serving with lesbians than males are when in the same situation with homosexuals. At least I haven't heard of an attack on a known lesbian by straight women. I think we men are wired differently when it comes to anything effeminent in males although we seem to accept a lesbian friend more readily than a gay male friend. At least that's the way we are portrayed in literature and movies.

Padre, I think, IMHO, that females are more at ease and accepting of the situation of serving with lesbians than males are when in the same situation with homosexuals. At least I haven't heard of an attack on a known lesbian by straight women. I think we men are wired differently when it comes to anything effeminent in males although we seem to accept a lesbian friend more readily than a gay male friend. At least that's the way we are portrayed in literature and movies.

that is true. i think it is because men like to be strong and tough, usualy to impress either girls, or their mates and anyone who differs from that is targeted as abnormal.
straight men are alot more accepting of lesbians because the majority of men i have met, (and i meet alot through my sport) think lesbianism is a turn on.
it also happens the other way too. most of my girlfriends think guys kissing is hot.
dunno why that is but guess its that way for a reason.

what is the big deal with gays anyway. hell they are just the same as any other man. what they do behind closed doors, or in this instance, on their leave, is their busyness.

that is true. i think it is because men like to be strong and tough, usualy to impress either girls, or their mates and anyone who differs from that is targeted as abnormal.
straight men are alot more accepting of lesbians because the majority of men i have met, (and i meet alot through my sport) think lesbianism is a turn on.
it also happens the other way too. most of my girlfriends think guys kissing is hot.
dunno why that is but guess its that way for a reason.

what is the big deal with gays anyway. hell they are just the same as any other man. what they do behind closed doors, or in this instance, on their leave, is their busyness.

If it is wrong in God's eyes it doesn't matter what doors you are behind, your sins will find you out.

Interesting discussion here. How many of you guys have ever worked with gays before?? Well, I have. It was back a few years while I was in college, I worked for the Starbucks coffee chain. My manager and a few coworkers were openly gay. Until then, I have never even known anyone who was gay, so it was quite a shock to me at first. So, from a point of three years of experience, these are my conclusions;

1. They are very diligent and hard workers, and you could count on them to do their job.
2. The gay guys I worked with had differing levels of depression, that made them moody, and many used drugs like crystal meth. I heard later (from a family member in the medical industry) that the vast majority of gays have this problem, and that hard drug use is rampent.
3. When they get horny, they WILL hit on you, and do and say things (in public) that would normally get a strait man fired. I could tell you stories that would make you blush...

So how would this reflect them being in the military? You be the judge. I for one, will keep my thoughts to my self on this subject.

Last edited:
Well, my view is that if somebody has the capacity to march, shoot straight, and love their country beyond all imagining, they have the right to be considered for the Armed Forces.

Many gay people served with distinction in both World Wars in the British Military (it was illegal, but people didn't have time to care), and most European countries militaries these days do not care what people's sexuality is.

What is important is people's capacity to get the job done and to win this war on terror, rather than what they do in their private lives.

Interesting discussion here. How many of you guys have ever worked with gays before?? Well, I have. It was back a few years while I was in college, I worked for the Starbucks coffee chain. My manager and a few coworkers were openly gay. Until then, I have never even known anyone who was gay, so it was quite a shock to me at first. So, from a point of three years of experience, these are my conclusions;

1. They are very diligent and hard workers, and you could count on them to do their job.
2. The gay guys I worked with had differing levels of depression, that made them moody, and many used drugs like crystal meth. I heard later (from a family member in the medical industry) that the vast majority of gays have this problem, and that hard drug use is rampent.
3. When they get horny, they WILL hit on you, and do and say things (in public) that would normally get a strait man fired. I could tell you stories that would make you blush...

So how would this reflect them being in the military? You be the judge. I for one, will keep my thoughts to my self on this subject.

i agree there, though not all gays will hit on you...alot of gay's hide their sexuality to the point that they will marry and have kids fearing that people will find out. then again there are those who'll hit on you in the main street lmao.

as for the depression...that kinda comes with it. alot of gay men hate the fact they are gay and it does get them depressed. from the amount of gayss i have befrended the suicide rate is extreemly high, and self harm or attempted suicide is about 80% among them.

I see a difference between being gay and being a queen. If the person is professional is there a reason to exclude them from service?

I'm re-opening this thread again now, but stay on topic and keep the discussion civil and clean from now on.
Infractions and/or bans will be given to anyone going out of line.
This is your first and only warning.

Thanks, now please carry on.

You meet MANY questionable people in the Infantry....

So you do in the civvie street...

As long as the person is reliable, knows how to handle his weapon and can operate in all conditions his/hers sexual preference is of no interest. I have served with people that for some is considered questionable but they turned out to be eccentric and nothing else.

Last edited:
I believe this is a very culturally biased issue and that as long as there remains in the US a sizeable portion of our population which are homophobic to some degree or other it WILL cause a morale and unit cohesion problem.

My comment was intended as a joke, the comments you hear in a average rifle company would make your average flamer cringe.

I believe this is a very culturally biased issue and that as long as there remains in the US a sizeable portion of our population which are homophobic to some degree or other it WILL cause a morale and unit cohesion problem.

That was an argument used at the start of WWII and probably every war before and, to some degree, since. About blacks.

Very aware of that boss. I am not arguing one way or the other on the issue. It was meant as a simple statement of fact. Put a queen in an infantry unit and who wants to take bets as to the trouble it will without a doubt cause? My argument is that DoD, SecDef or POTUS need to grow a spine and make a clear and concise decision one way or another on this because as it stands it is not viable.

BD, I think some gays would fit in without a problem but like you say the swishers are never going to adapt to military life for many reasons. The sooner the poli-correct crowd admit that, the better off all will be.

Back