Gays in military? - Page 3

--

June 28th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettNC_156
You guys have to be truthful, while you were showering in basic, would you want a gay guy in their with you? No. Not unless you yourself are gay.
And you don't think that opinion is at all reminiscent of the guys in the 50s who couldn't believe they where expected to trust their lives to "inferior ******s"?
June 28th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Mod Edit: Please try to be a little more polite. Actually, don't try, just do it!

You guys have to be truthful, while you were showering in basic, would you want a gay guy in their with you? No. Not unless you yourself are gay.
What do you think the gay guy is gonna do - rape you?
June 29th, 2005  
bulldogg

Quote:
They were there and that's just the way it is. I am not gay and to be painfully honest seeing displays of affection between same sex couples really is disturbing to me but they have a right to it. I am sure that they are equally grossed out by hetero couples making out. It just stand to reason. And recently it has become an issue I have been forced to confront personally because my teenage daughter has come out of the closet and it was more than a little unsettling. Her mother, my ex, a captain in the US Army, is having a very difficult time accepting it.

One concept that is very different tween the US and Europe is the idea that a naked body is sexual. In Europe it is just naked, nothing more and there is nothing sexual about it. Growing up in the states I was as uptight about nudity as a body could be coming from a fundamentalist christian household and it took some time to get over it. This I think is the whole problem behind the sensitivity of most American's about the "shower issue".
--
June 29th, 2005  
MontyB

Personally I dont see whats wrong with the existing "dont ask, dont tell" system.

Quote:
ou guys have to be truthful, while you were showering in basic, would you want a gay guy in their with you? No. Not unless you yourself are gay.
Just for interests sake I recall a statement from an officer in the british royal marines who said "men dont like taking showers with men who like taking showers with men".

However on the other side of the coin I "think" the Dutch military has no restirction on gays in the military and apparently it causes them no problems.
June 29th, 2005  
bulldogg

The problem is that it does create a serious issue with security. Under the current system someone who is gay can be easily blackmailed and compromised by an enemy asset as he has something that can be used against him. Just as easily as a hetero person could be blackmailed if they have had an extramarital affair. This was behind the reasoning in the USCMJ for it being a criminal offense to be unfaithful to your spouse. This don't ask don't tell crap is a serious mistake. It was IMHO a spineless move by the Clinton administration. He didn't say yes and he didn't say no... typical politician.
June 29th, 2005  
Bory

I don't think in Australia we have any restrictions placed on gays. Personally, if they show the qualities expected of a Soldier/Sailor/Airmen/Officer, let them serve. Same with women in combat roles. As long as they know what they are doing.
June 29th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
The problem is that it does create a serious issue with security. Under the current system someone who is gay can be easily blackmailed and compromised by an enemy asset as he has something that can be used against him. Just as easily as a hetero person could be blackmailed if they have had an extramarital affair. This was behind the reasoning in the USCMJ for it being a criminal offense to be unfaithful to your spouse. This don't ask don't tell crap is a serious mistake. It was IMHO a spineless move by the Clinton administration. He didn't say yes and he didn't say no... typical politician.
Personally if I had to pick one option or the other I would back lifting the restrictions on gays (as I also support opening of all roles to woman in the military) however I am sure someone out there has a valid rational reason as to why they think I am wrong on this one.
June 29th, 2005  
bulldogg

That's why I started this thread... listening for a valid rational reason.
June 29th, 2005  
Whispering Death

There is no valid rational reason for preventing gays from being in the millitary, there are only emotional reactions. "ew, I don't want a gay guy next to me!" kind of stuff.
June 30th, 2005  
raglan QA

Topic: nz views on homophobia-phobia

i went to a "gays in the army seminar today and its not wot a gay person is going to do to you/us at all ,its just the fear of our peers thinking that we ourselves are gay and that challenges our masculinity as males(sorry ladies i cant comment on your positions) so you see its not about there ability its about our self esteem issues
nzdf currently has no gender or sexual preference discrimination in its services we have got our first female in the royal nz armoured corp this year i got no probs if she/them can do the job required