Gasoline Prices?

Missileer said:
Sunb, the impact on the economy of poor nations like in Latin America is that buying any resource at all from them makes jobs and pumps money into the economy. President Bush promised the leaders in African and Latin American countries that we would purchase more from them and he's trying to keep that promise. These countries need dollars badly and that is one way to spread a little wealth which can't be a bad thing if it eases poverty levels.

Do a little research on how many other rich countries are doing something similar and post it. I, for one would like to see who is fighting third world poverty and who's not bothering.

Yes I am sure the US do a great job of helping developing countries, I haven't been questioning that in no way at all. Please have in mind that it is not just by importing oil and goods from developing countries that help their economy - subsidiaries, lowered toll rates and lots more are issues that must be taken into consideration - very complicated issue, but anyways for your pleasure the list for the European Union is as follows:

Origin of EU oil imports:
Norway: 20 %
Russia: 14 %
Saudi Arabia: 12 %
United Kingdom: 10 %
Libya: 09 %
Iran: 08 %
Iraq: 07 %
Nigeria: 04 %
Syria: 03 %
Algeria: 03 %
Others: 10 %

Well, whose on top?

sunb! said:
C/CMSgt Henderson said:
Besides, most of our oil comes from Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries, not Europe.

For my own knowledge I did seek information on this as I find it very interesting to see the major US trading partners on this issue.

(source http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/...ons/company_level_imports/current/import.html)

The top sources of US crude oil imports for August were Mexico (1.614 million barrels per day), Canada (1.610 million barrels per day), Saudi Arabia (1.444 million barrels per day), Venezuela (1.299 million barrels per day), and Nigeria (1.053 million barrels per day). The rest of the top ten sources, in order, were Angola (0.585 million barrels per day), Iraq (0.369 million barrels per day), Algeria (0.330 million barrels per day), United Kingdom (0.321 million barrels per day), and Ecuador (0.292 million barrels per day).

Total crude oil imports averaged 10.341 million barrels per day in August, which is an increase of 0.085 million barrels per day from July. The top five exporting countries accounted for 68 percent of United States crude oil imports in August and the top ten sources accounted for approximately 86 percent of all U.S. crude oil imports.

Ok that made me think about how much is this really? How many gallons is it? Can we put it into some sort of down to earth perspective?

(Source http://www.gravmag.com/oil.html#imports)

U.S. gasoline consumption of 320,500,000 gallons per day (March 2005) works out to about 3700 gallons per second.

If lined up in 1-gallon cans, they would encircle the earth at the equator almost 6 times (about 147,000 miles of cans) — every day.

The US, with 5% of the world's population, consumes 45% of the gasoline produced on earth.

It is amazing, and what's even more amazing is the huge amount of money involved in the industry. I won't post anything on the prices and the impact on the economy, but you can read more at http://archive.greenpeace.org/climate/oil/fdsub.html if you seek further reading.

Okay, I'm totally lost as to the theme of your post and would like some clarification before I go on as I may be traveling a dead end road.

What is the reason for the posted data? What type of response are you looking for?

Just giving some facts on the enourmous consumption in the USA - never mind I won't persuade it further, neither ways.

My fault - got carried away.

sunb! said:
Just giving some facts on the enourmous consumption in the USA
Oh, I heartily agree. There is no real effort or brainpower being put into useful rail systems for interstate travel. Most large cities have hit automotive gridlock for want of elevated or underground railways. The MTA under Boston was the first successful people mover when someone got an idea of driving a trolley into a tunnel. I realize that the size of the US is a prohibiting factor but if I could just get to Chicago or New York by bullet train, I would happy.

Profiteering bastards the lot of them. It goes all the way back, companies making money hand over fist making profits while good men bleed. WWII DuPont made millions selling to the Nazis even after US troops were on the ground fighting them. Standard oil and the Bush family were also duplicit in their dealings with the third reich making money while their poorer countrymen bled defending their freedom.
:evil:

$1.96 today.

It's just damned amazing that aparently EVERYONE in India and China bought SUVs over the summer and sold them all for hybrids last week huh? Gasoline cost $3 a galon a month ago and now it's $2 and they tell us it's the Chinese and Indians using it all. Really? Damned conveniant if you ask me.

bulldogg said:
Profiteering bastards the lot of them. It goes all the way back, companies making money hand over fist making profits while good men bleed. WWII DuPont made millions selling to the Nazis even after US troops were on the ground fighting them. Standard oil and the Bush family were also duplicit in their dealings with the third reich making money while their poorer countrymen bled defending their freedom.
:evil:

Sources Please? Thanks.

Unfortunately Bulldog is right in that the Bush family had dealings with the Nazis during WW2 (I think it was Prescott Bush, but not sure). Neither of us is a liberal, by the way. Thank God, though, Bulldog came up with that, and it will be his responsibility to now get a source for 03. :twisted: (too late at night over here).

I just think it's damned amazing that the oil that has been in the ground for whatever million years is suddenly worth $3 last month and is now worth $2 this month. The oil didn't change. Those oil companies are profiteering bastards who will throw any convoluted excuse for why they have to jack up their prices.

Hey, you americans shouldn´t complain about gas prizes. Here in Europe one liter costs more that 1.5 dollars :cry:

UPS to use three delivery trucks powered by hydrogen fuel cells

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2004-08-27-ups-hydrogen-trucks_x.htm

ATLANTA (AP) — United Parcel Service will begin using three large package delivery vehicles powered by hydrogen fuel cells, and officials said the goal is to someday apply the technology throughout its entire fleet.
The Dodge Sprinter trucks are being deployed in Ann Arbor, Mich., and two California locations: Los Angeles and Sacramento, UPS senior vice president of global transportation services said Thursday.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4023502&src=Home&pos=Edit1

An exclusive drive in a hydrogen fuel-cell pickup recruited by the U.S. Army. GM says the fuel-cell Silverado "accelerates in a similar fashion to a production truck, despite weighing in at 7,500 pounds."
Three hydrogen storage tanks are tucked between the frame rails, protected by steel skidplates.

The Silverado fuel-cell truck has "joined" the U.S. Army for a 16-month tour of duty.

Power on the fuel-cell truck comes from two 94 kW fuel-cell stacks—GM calls them "power modules"—producing a combined 164 horsepower and 317 lb-ft of torque.

During a presentation at General Motors' Fuel Cell Activities Center in Honeoye Falls, N.Y., a quiet village on the outskirts of Rochester, the world's first hydrogen fuel-cell pickup was inducted into the U.S. Army for a 16-month tour of duty.
Boot camp for the modified three-quarter-ton Silverado Crew Cab takes place at an Army base in Ft. Belvoir, Va., outside of Washington, D.C. While the large white single star on both front doors suggests the pickup will be toting a brigadier general around the fort, the duty assignment is far less glamorous—the non-tactical chore of delivering packages

Corocotta said:
Hey, you americans shouldn´t complain about gas prizes. Here in Europe one liter costs more that 1.5 dollars :cry:
Hey you Spaniards should stop bragging about your high priced fuel :lol: :lol:

fuel-gage.jpg

:shock: :( :evil:

Back