Gas Prices and Presidents

The Other Guy

Spam King
Okay, a little thing I put together based on this link : http://www.swivel.com/data_sets/spreadsheet/1000307

Carter Administration
Start: $0.63
End: $1.30
Reagan Administration
Start 1st Term: $1.30
End 1st Term: $1.15
End 2nd Term: $0.92
Bush Administration
Start: $0.92
End: $1.12
Clinton Administration
Start 1st Term: $1.12
End 1st Term: $1.26
End 2nd Term: $1.47
Bush Administration
Start 1st Term: $1.47
End 1st Term: $1.82
Currently: $3.19

Therefore,
Carter: +$0.67
Reagan: -$0.38
Bush: +$0.20
Clinton: +$0.35
Bush: +$1.72

That's more than inflation...

This may be taken the wrong way but my salary over those years changed at a much steeper rate. What you are hoping is a measure of inflation rate has more to do with salaries of everyone involved in exploration, drilling, refinement, and research into other methods of reducing emissions. If you expect the price of any commodity to fall or remain dormant for that many years, then you must be satisfied with a salary of $3.00/hr.

It's inevitable that gas prices would rise because of the rise in worldly oil consumption. It's quite naive to blame it on a presidential administration. I hope Americans just didn't think that China and India would remain a third world countries riding bikes and whatnot forever. Two of the most populous nations on earth are on the rise and their middle class hungers for what we middle-class Americans have had for decades: oil for their new cars. There are only two alternatives I know of that can ease rising gas prices. First is the obvious transfer to alternative energy sources. We're certainly on the right track but have yet to adopt it formally as a nation let alone world. Second is to negotiate with friendly, stable middle eastern nations for American and European companies to buy some oil wells and use their advanced technologies to drill for it at a much faster and more efficient rate. Granted, this is less likely to happen because I'm sure the oil sultans wouldn't be too happy about letting go of their black gold mines...

It's natural to expect it to rise, I agree. But by almost two dollars is a tad much...

Well, what do you expect when 2 countries with 1 billion people EACH decide to use oil too? Not to mention China's obvious military buildup... A good majority of the world is experiencing the equivalent to the American's "industrial revolution" so energy consumption will definitely be higher along with pollution.

The lowest I've ever remembered gas being was like 89 cents per gallon, but I've only been alive since 1982...

Hahaha what are you guys moaning about. We pay 1.52 euro for the litre. So that would make 5.62 euro for the gallon. What is the current value of the $ versus the Euro? A little math shows that this would make a staggering $ 8.69 for the gallon..... So things aren't half as bad as they could be, right?

Hahaha what are you guys moaning about. We pay 1.52 euro for the litre. So that would make 5.62 euro for the gallon. What is the current value of the $ versus the Euro? A little math shows that this would make a staggering $ 8.69 for the gallon..... So things aren't half as bad as they could be, right?

It would be the same if your gas suddenly rose to 6.50 euros...

Back