The Gallant Hours

namvet

one of the best ive seen. and least known. stars the late James Cagney as fleet adm Bill Halsey. The Gallant Hours is a 1960 American biopic docu-drama about Admiral William F. "Bull" Halsey and his efforts in fighting against Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto and the forces of Imperial Japan in the Guadalcanal campaign in World War II.

The black & white film was directed by Robert Montgomery, who also did uncredited narration, and stars James Cagney as Halsey. Featured in the cast are Dennis Weaver, Ward Costello, Vaughn Taylor, Richard Jaeckel and Les Tremayne. The screenplay is by Frank D. Gilroy and Beirne Lay, Jr. and the unusual a cappella choral score was composed and conducted by Roger Wagner, although the theme song was written by Ward Costello.

The film was produced by Montgomery and Cagney, the only film made by their joint production company, and released by United Artists on June 22, 1960.

video:
gallenthours
there's not one combat scene in it. I recently aquired a copy for my collection.

Last edited:
That was an AWESOME movie, I saw on it's release an still recall most of it 50 yrs after. Cagney made a perfect Bull Halsey.

That was an AWESOME movie, I saw on it's release an still recall most of it 50 yrs after. Cagney made a perfect Bull Halsey.

it took me a long time to find a copy for my collection. one of those old archive movies that no one carries anymore.
it focus's on the pressures of command and and the tough decisions made everyday.

He flew into Guadalcanal

and we started winning.
Sorry but whenever I say Guadalcanal,I gotta say in honor of a freind.

RIP. Pvt Vernon Banny Kaufmen, Paterson,NJ.

Back