Gaining Citizenship

B5A7M9

Hello. My question concerns gaining citizenship while in the military, that is joining as a permanent resident or a green card holder. Has anyone gone through the process, and know how long it takes (I know there is a law for granting military personnel precedence over civilian citizens). Also, would someone be able to join the reserves and still be eligible for the expedited process? (read that is was possible but the descriptions were vague) The reason I ask is because I wanted to join but since I am not a citizen I would not be granted security clearance for any Army Special Operations. Furthermore is it just special ops jobs that require security clearance? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Back in 2004 I was in a National Guard Unit and we had 2-3 soldiers who were working on getting their citizenship. As far as I know you can join the guard and get your citizenship.

The only jobs that require a clearance starting out are in intelligence or sensitive positions.

You won;t be required to get a clearance until you are an E7.

You might want to consider joining a guard/reserve unit until you get your citizenship , then apply for a transfer to active duty. Your guard commander will have to approve the release but if he/she won't, wait until you ETS, then you should be able to join the active army after that.

I know a guy who joined the Marines as a reservist on a Green Card and got his citizenship within the year. They only put the papers in for citizenship after he graduated from boot camp.

That's accurate for Marines.
So it looks like you'll get it pretty soon after you get in.

Much gratitude for the information guys!

Update: I won't be able to join the National Guard, requires citizenship. So the reserves or actually enlisting are the options.

Last edited:
Hello good people of this forum!

Just wanted to do an update of the situation at hand, and for those that may be in the same situation as me.

Been talking to a recruiter and this is what I learned:

For any Special Operational Forces, one needs to be a citizen before one volunteers, or signs a contract. Like literally sworn in, doesn't matter if ones in the process.

The soonest one can apply for citizenship while in whatever military force is the first day of active duty, meaning after BCT and AIT.

For those of us who want to be part of the Army Rangers, there is no guaranteed way to get an opportunity to try out, because we will not be able to get an Option 40 in our contracts at enlistment. However that is not the only way to RASP. One doesn't need to be a citizen to get Option 4, which will allow one to go to BAC and there one can volunteer for RASP if the Rangers there are taking ones MOS, just need to see the Ranger liaison for info. If it is possible to delay BAC or even when its done apply through CO for a shot at RASP when one has citizenship is unknown to me at this point

The approximate time to get citizenship will be about a year, depending on whether or not your deployed it may be longer. But these are mere estimates, could be longer or shorter.

Will post more when I learn more. If there is anything in what I have posted to be untrue please correct me!

It sounds like you are a US permanent resident.
Do not leave the country.
There is a good chance of you being stripped of it if you even go and live anywhere for any number of years and return.

To be fully honest I'm here illegally.

Parents brought me up when I was 4 and overstayed on a travel visa. There was a law that said if one was here for 7 years or more one could apply for residency but a few months before our 7 year stead 9/11 happened and changed a lot of the immigrations laws. So been stuck for awhile but my sisters in the process of becoming a citizen, and she will file for my parents, and then they will for me. So its still awhile for me, but good opportunity for PT while I wait.

No intent on leaving, regardless of how much I want to see the world. Some day perhaps...

I have no idea if siblings can sponsor siblings present illegally.
But if you were here legally, the process would be about 10-15 years.

Siblings can sponsor each other, only thing its longer and really expensive.

The plan is for my sister to get my parents their permanent residency, and when that is complete my parents will file for me. From what our lawyer has said, it is significantly shorter than any other means besides marriage(which looks very tempting atm).

Even in the US illegal immigrants can not sponser anyone, relatives are not. As lax as the US is on immigration it still goes through the motions.

Think about it!

You need to fill out applications and submit them to the government. Present adminstration not with standing, the Federal immigration policy is to still to deport illegal immigrants.
So if you are illegal it would not be a good idea to fill out immigration applications with the required information of where you live and what your citizenship status is allowing you to sponser someone.

Petition for Alien Relative Form I-130

Purpose of Form :For citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States. Note: A separate form must be filed for each eligible relative. USCIS processes Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, as a visa number becomes available. Filing and approval of an I-130 is only the first step in helping a relative immigrate to the United States. Eligible family members must wait until there is a visa number available before they can apply for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Lax is not the word I would use to describe the process, perhaps pre 9/11 but not so much now; granted the reason for tighter immigration laws as counter terrorism is somewhat arbitrary, just an opinion.

I understand what your saying, but wouldn't the nations services be better used to actually catch criminals in criminal acts rather than busting the guy whose filling for papers, willing to wait the time, paying the fees, paying taxes, and just trying to make the best with what he's got, before he can serve this country when he becomes legal? I have no criminal history, no history of drug abuse, I don't drive, I will pay my taxes when the time comes. My parents have paid their taxes whenever they worked and have never gotten in trouble with the law except the occasional speeding ticket.

So tell me, what would you do if you were in my place? Would you go home to foreign land you no nothing about, accept defeat and sulk, or try to fight for your life, because surely its worth the risk?

I agree with what you said about illegals not being able to sponsor each other, that wouldn't make much sense. However that isn't the case here, my sister will be a citizen in a few months and will be doing the filing.

Lax is not the word I would use to describe the process, perhaps pre 9/11 but not so much now; granted the reason for tighter immigration laws as counter terrorism is somewhat arbitrary, just an opinion.

I understand what your saying, but wouldn't the nations services be better used to actually catch criminals in criminal acts rather than busting the guy whose filling for papers, willing to wait the time, paying the fees, paying taxes, and just trying to make the best with what he's got, before he can serve this country when he becomes legal? I have no criminal history, no history of drug abuse, I don't drive, I will pay my taxes when the time comes. My parents have paid their taxes whenever they worked and have never gotten in trouble with the law except the occasional speeding ticket.

So tell me, what would you do if you were in my place? Would you go home to foreign land you no nothing about, accept defeat and sulk, or try to fight for your life, because surely its worth the risk?

I agree with what you said about illegals not being able to sponsor each other, that wouldn't make much sense. However that isn't the case here, my sister will be a citizen in a few months and will be doing the filing.

Don't know you particular situation but it kind of sounds like you only want laws enforced when they don't interfere with you.

You are here illegally, but since you want to be here its OK to break those laws. You also see minor infractions of speeding as being normal. People who obey laws don't get speeding tickets, I have been driving for over 40 years without a speeding ticket.

Granted illegal immigration isn't murder but it may show a tendency to ignore laws that are not convenient for you. Skirting, circumventing, or ignoring laws for your convenience shows a possible questionable character.

Thieves steal because they think laws don't apply to them. They take the attitude that the ends justify the means.

Don't know you particular situation but it kind of sounds like you only want laws enforced when they don't interfere with you.

You are here illegally, but since you want to be here its OK to break those laws. You also see minor infractions of speeding as being normal. People who obey laws don't get speeding tickets, I have been driving for over 40 years without a speeding ticket.

Granted illegal immigration isn't murder but it may show a tendency to ignore laws that are not convenient for you. Skirting, circumventing, or ignoring laws for your convenience shows a possible questionable character.

Thieves steal because they think laws don't apply to them. They take the attitude that the ends justify the means.

You seem to have a lot of faith in the system.
You must have had a very nice life.
Do you even know how laws are really passed?
Personally, I don't like what B5 is doing but I can see where he's coming from.
He's likely to be one of those kids you meet and you think the guy is American without a question of a doubt and probably wouldn't fit in with society back home when he got there... possibly with cultural and language barriers large enough to affect making a living.
Seen it happen on many occasions. Though most of who I met, if they don't have military ambitions, end up going to Canada instead because it's easier to immigrate there than here.

Chukpike, your faith and belief in this government and it's laws are commendable. However, things are not always black and white, regardless of the situation there is always shades of gray.

I do break laws, yes I will admit it. Ever download music for free on the internet? How about movies or games? When you were a teenager, ever drink or smoke before you were 21 and 18 respectively? When you were 18 ever have sex with a girl younger than you? Ever drive without a license, and just because you never got caught for speeding, did you ever just go above the limit just for a bit? Do you understand where I'm going with this. Not too sure where your from but here, and with the kids in my age bracket 20-22ish its commonplace.

Listen, if I could go back in time and tell my parents when we were coming up here to take the harder route and do things right I would, but I can't. I did not have much say in the matter considering I was a 4 year old. I did not truly find out about my situation until I was about 16-17. So, with that in mind can you get a sense of where I'm coming from?

Perhaps its my youth talking but I do believe that the end justifies the means, but I'm not bound to that ideology. I'm not bound to any school of thought in that regard for that manner. The things I think would shock you Chukpike, that can be a good or bad thing depending.

Hello. My question concerns gaining citizenship while in the military, that is joining as a permanent resident or a green card holder.

To be fully honest I'm here illegally.

Parents brought me up when I was 4 and overstayed on a travel visa. There was a law that said if one was here for 7 years or more one could apply for residency but a few months before our 7 year stead 9/11 happened and changed a lot of the immigrations laws. So been stuck for awhile but my sisters in the process of becoming a citizen, and she will file for my parents, and then they will for me. So its still awhile for me, but good opportunity for PT while I wait.

No intent on leaving, regardless of how much I want to see the world. Some day perhaps...

Chukpike, your faith and belief in this government and it's laws are commendable. However, things are not always black and white, regardless of the situation there is always shades of gray.

I do break laws, yes I will admit it. Ever download music for free on the internet? How about movies or games? When you were a teenager, ever drink or smoke before you were 21 and 18 respectively? When you were 18 ever have sex with a girl younger than you? Ever drive without a license, and just because you never got caught for speeding, did you ever just go above the limit just for a bit? Do you understand where I'm going with this. Not too sure where your from but here, and with the kids in my age bracket 20-22ish its commonplace.

Listen, if I could go back in time and tell my parents when we were coming up here to take the harder route and do things right I would, but I can't. I did not have much say in the matter considering I was a 4 year old. I did not truly find out about my situation until I was about 16-17. So, with that in mind can you get a sense of where I'm coming from?

Perhaps its my youth talking but I do believe that the end justifies the means, but I'm not bound to that ideology. I'm not bound to any school of thought in that regard for that manner. The things I think would shock you Chukpike, that can be a good or bad thing depending.

Let's see you open a topic asking about gaining citizenship through military service as a permanent resident or a green card holder.

After members try to help, you come clean and inform us you mislead us. You tell us you lied and that you are illegal.

And now you tell us you subscribe too....."I do believe that the end justifies the means,"

So, not anything you tell me or make up will shock me.

As far as faith in the system I don't know where that comes from. I have not stated that I trust the system to work. Actually saying that immigration enforcement is lax, would tend to indicate a lack of faith in the system.

But whatever. Trying to help someone that lies to me is not something I am likely to do. So I have nothing to add.

You just grew up in a different kind of reality.
Though I don't like it that you're here illegally, I do think it is great that you are trying to become a productive member of society and even serve in the military.
It wasn't nice that you opened a thread asking about permanent residents joining the military (though to be fair you never stated explicitly that you were a permanent resident) but I can see why you did it.

There's not much more for me to add but let me put it this way: if you leave the US, it's a one way ticket. But there are also many nice places in the world waiting to be discovered.

You know it's interesting reading both of your posts, because how I see it they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Clearly ACoM has understood everything I wrote, and Chukpike hasn't.

ACoM: Honestly, you got everything on point and I'm truly appreciative for your help. Your last post summed things up pretty accurately, and trust me no one hates it more than I do that I'm here illegally. You know when your growing up in school here, they tell you that everything and anything is possible, if you put your mind to it and work hard. But that simply isn't true for some of us, and it hits you, its crushing, its heartbreaking, and you start asking yourself what was the point of it all, when it means nothing now. But that's a topic for another time.

The reason why I started this thread, is if lets say everything works out the way its suppose to and I have my residency in year, why wait to find out this infomation? If I can find out now, the better informed I will be and I will be able to make a better decision.

Won't be leaving anytime soon, maybe see ya one day when I make it!

Chukpike: I never did actually say I was a permanent resident did I? I made a general inquiry about a hypothetical situation, that is all. There is no reason to take what has been said so personally. I'm not the villain, and you are not the conquering hero here. That is not what this is. And taking the moral high ground is unnecessary. Also, you still have not answered any questions I asked you...

I appreciate your effort to help, but you haven't really contributed anything pertaining to my original question. And if you look at post 5, I actually answered my own inquiry, it was only until ACoM suggested that I was a permanent resident and me responding with accurate information to my own situation, that you responded.

As for the whole shocking thing, that was my own opinions to yours (think big picture here). We grew up in different times and have a lot of things we can argue about till the sun blows out, but I'm glad to have had this discussion with you.

Well thanks all to have contributed to this thread! I and I'm sure others who are facing the same situation are truly grateful to have great site and community here to help those who are lost!

Back