The Gainesville Murders and Danny Rollings

mzspaztastic

http://gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050826/LOCAL/208260322/1078/news

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but back in 1990 5 University of FLorida students were killed in a murder spree that lasted 3 days by Danny Rollings in Gainesville, Florida. The killings, which inspired the "Scream" movie trilogy, gained national attention.

I grew up in Gainesville, and I remember this, even though I was only 7. I remember the town shutting down. I remember apartments letting people out of leases with no charge. I remember attendance being optional. I remember even the elementary schools being deserted.

Does anyone else remember this? Danny Rollings is still alive and on death row, and has been since he was convicted and sentenced to death in 1994 after entering a guilty plea.

Anyway, the local paper in Gainesville is doing a three-part series, the first part is linked above, and you can navigate the site to read on more. It goes into the debates on what is too long for a death row inmate to wait, where the victims would be now, etc. Feel free to offer your opinions on the subjects.

Send him on down here to Texas, we've just about cleaned out our death row. The have killed two killers in the same day on occasions.

Back