Ga. Sailor's Death In Ghana Still A Mystery

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Atlanta Journal-Constitution
January 4, 2008
Pg. 8
By Ann Hardie
Lonnie L. Davis Jr. of Riverdale, known to his family as "LJ," entered the Navy almost a year ago to the day. He never made his first-year anniversary.
On New Year's Day, Davis, 35, and a fellow shipmate were found dead in a hotel room in the West African nation of Ghana, according to a statement released Thursday by the Navy.
What killed the sailors remains a mystery. Their bodies reportedly were found at the La Palm Royal Beach Hotel, a luxury hotel in Accra, the Ghanaian capital, about 18 miles from the Tema Naval Base. The Navy is investigating their deaths.
The sailors had been permanently assigned to the USS Fort McHenry of Little Creek, Va., which is on a seven-month voyage through the Gulf of Guinea.
Davis died while on 24-hour leave with several buddies, said his father, Lonnie L. Davis Sr. of Lithonia, who had been briefed by Navy officials Thursday.
"As I understand it, they went onshore to celebrate New Year's. The morning of New Year's, they tried to get my son up. He was nonresponsive," Davis said. "They rushed him to the local hospital. He was pronounced dead on arrival."
He said that Navy officials confirmed that a second sailor had died but would not disclose details.
In the statement released Thursday, the Navy identified the sailor as Petty Officer 1st Class Patrick Brendan Mack, 22, of Warren, Mich.
Davis' body was being transported Thursday to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, a U.S. Army command post in southwest Germany, where an autopsy will be performed, his father said.
"I don't have all the answers of what happened," his father said. "I don't want to say it is not foul play. I don't know. We want to allow the Navy to conduct their investigation and we want to have faith in them.
"Speaking for the family, they owe us answers as to what happened," he said.
Davis characterized his son as the "jewel of the family who loved kids," especially his own, 14-year-old Devante, who lives with his mother in Wichita, Kan.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.

Back