Future of War, Is Plato correct?

Bory

This takes abit to get to the point so bear with me for a second

Almost everyone these days knows Plato's Quote "Only the Dead have seen the End of War".

I am writting a short story in my spare time about War in the future. The basis of the plot is, Earth has been "unified", or is answerable to an International Government, that enforces all laws with an incredibly powerful police force, etc etc. Earth has since then, colonised the Moon and Mars, and begun mining, scientific research and all that stuff. Then About 200 years after colonisation, the "Native" Martins revolt, securing the capital, and declaring war on all "Earthlings" On Mars. This creates a group of terrorists called Purists who wish to "Purify Mars" And kill all "Earthling Oppressors."
Putting science aside and the current politcial position aside (This is based 1500 years from now), could this in fact be possible, even if earths governments are unified, will humans still be killing humans for reasons thousands of years old.

Thoughts on the matter?

BTW Any ideas for the story would be great thanks :D

if you want to know the future, look to the past. there has always been conflict and war, and in all scenario`s and conditions, poor nations have fought, rich nations have fought, weve made war for land, money and simple pride. i can`t see it changing in the future

Bory said:
This takes abit to get to the point so bear with me for a second

Almost everyone these days knows Plato's Quote "Only the Dead have seen the End of War".

I am writting a short story in my spare time about War in the future. The basis of the plot is, Earth has been "unified", or is answerable to an International Government, that enforces all laws with an incredibly powerful police force, etc etc. Earth has since then, colonised the Moon and Mars, and begun mining, scientific research and all that stuff. Then About 200 years after colonisation, the "Native" Martins revolt, securing the capital, and declaring war on all "Earthlings" On Mars. This creates a group of terrorists called Purists who wish to "Purify Mars" And kill all "Earthling Oppressors."
Putting science aside and the current politcial position aside (This is based 1500 years from now), could this in fact be possible, even if earths governments are unified, will humans still be killing humans for reasons thousands of years old.

Thoughts on the matter?

BTW Any ideas for the story would be great thanks :D

Wasnt this story a sub-plot of the Babylon-5 series?

(Dont know a lot about the show but I am sure there was something like this in it).

PS I would imagine that under a "Unified" world government there would be a fairly sizable "seperatist movement on earth.

MontyB said:
Wasnt this story a sub-plot of the Babylon-5 series?

(Dont know a lot about the show but I am sure there was something like this in it).

It was, bugger. Someone thought of it before me :shock: . seriously, I never knew.

Anyway, I am basing it somewhat on actual wars from the past, the group that sezied control of Mars are Martinists, those who beleive Mars should be run on Mars, but understand they must deal with earth to Survive. They are based on multitudes of political groups from the past. The Purists are based of fundementalists terrorists.
They mis-interpret there own history, and take it on themselves to Purify Mars, so that only Natives live there.

The thing about a seperatists group on earth as well, they exist in a sub-plot. There are Two Armies, the Earth Army, trained to protect the Earth, and its Intrests. Groups on earth become Guerrilla Soldiers, trying to Destbalise the Government. This Brings the Expeditionary Force into existance, an Army trained only to fight on Mars, to put down the Martinists, and Purists.

There will always be war.
Those who say there wont be because we are so interconnected now etc. dont know squat.
Did you know that Europes borders before World War I were extremely pouros? If you could afford it, or if u lived nearby, u could cross borders without knowing.
Then look what happened.
Or those who say there is nothing to gain.
Do you think Hitler started World War II for any kind of monetary GAIN? Of course not. Do you think China makes an extra buck from holding Tibet or threatening Taiwan?

People will always fight. Sometimes you look for the fight. But lets say you didnt. The fight will still find a way to find you. Its going to happen anyway, so you better be good at it.

Conflict will always be part of human nature. We have emotions and desires. If someone makes you angry, you attack. If you want some land and can't buy it, you attack. We may claim that we are intelligent enough to avoid such conflicts, but our inner brain is quite primitive and quite controlling at times.

Back