future combat boot

student

Hello together,
i would like to have a discussion about combat boots. There are several kind of boots available. What i would like to know what are your problems with this combat boots in daily military life? What ideas do you have to solve this problems? How looks a perfect combat boot for you?
Please don`t talk about a boot you wear and you like alot but talk about what features make the boot perfect and what a boot should provide.
Hope i can get some feedback on this topic. Thanks so far.

This is something that doesn't get discussed enough.
What I want i the next generation of combat boots:

- Quick drying. Really, really quick drying.
- Quick draining.
- Very well ventilated so it doesn't get wet on the inside from all the foot sweat.

That's what I'd want on top of what they offer already.
Light weight is always a must of course.

This is something that doesn't get discussed enough.
What I want i the next generation of combat boots:

- Quick drying. Really, really quick drying.
- Quick draining.
- Very well ventilated so it doesn't get wet on the inside from all the foot sweat.

That's what I'd want on top of what they offer already.
Light weight is always a must of course.

That's pretty much it!
Water is THE biggest problem.

There's also the mud issue...many boots tend to get really hard and heavy once you expose them to mud....you need to give a full maintenance before moving on.

And remember boys..."Change socks whenever you stop!"
When I go to the field I always take talc in my backpack...it sure helps.

more questions to discuss

What would you say on durability. Is this a problem in the field.

Do you have a problem with stuff (dust,...) getting into the boots.

What would you say on the topic of ankle support?

Which are the weak parts on your boots?

Is there a feature which you say boots should have when you think on the daily use in the field.

Thanks so far.

It's really tough to have a boot that's perfect for all environments. I've been in jungle environments where we needed water to drain quickly from our boots, we needed steel plates in the soles for booby trap protection. Durability was a concern.
In the mountains, we needed warm boots with soles suitable for slippery surfaces such as mud, ice and snow covered rocks (traction). Insulation was a must as well.
In the desert as you mentioned, keeping out sand or any other irritant would be a concern.
A boot that's not overly heavy is a must for all environments. I would also include a flexible boot that doesn't require "breaking in". Some comfortable inside sole cushion would be greatly appreciated as well. Whatever the boot is made from, it'd be good if it didn't need to be polished and shined (soldiers hate that).
These are just from my Infantryman's perspective. REMFs may have another viewpoint. :wink:

Hi Thanks so far. If you had the choice to build your own boot how would the boot look like? Are there thinks which a boot needs?

Out of your field experience is there stuff what you don't like or what you chance first when you get a new boot.

I know that a boot can't be used for all Teheran. When we try to make groups is it right when I separate them into Desert, Jungle and Mountain.

When you describe a boot choice a Teheran or do you think a boot should fit into all Teheran?

You can make a sucky version of an all environments...but they'll never be 100%
The best thing is to choose you boots acording to the environment.

Like said before, these are must for every combat boot:
-Light weight
-No shine
-Quick draining

About the ankle support...i've had some trouble with those. In some boots the ankle suport, after some time in use, tends to hurt your ankle with the friction, but that's easly solved by incorporating some couching to it.

As for the weak parts. In my experience, the frontal area is the first one to get busted.

Something very important is the size of the boot...those too long, that reach middle shin, are not very good for urban terrain but excelent to jungle. That's something you must check before going into the field...size.

Thanks a lot that was a lot of good information. Are there more people who have experience with boots in the field?
Problems you face or ideas you have what should be done to make boots better.

ok you say water. is water from outside or from inside. like sweeting. if it would be possible to make sure no water can enter into the boot would that be a solution for your problem with water.
Other ideas what you would change with boots.

@the_13th: don't the drainholes near the sole help with the draining part?
As for the ventilation part, there are materials that have moisture wick feature, unfortunately the socks would get soggy anyways.

@DTop: I can't agree more, and I think it goes for everything else. Each boot is designed with the intended use in mind... and the materials used on the boot would have to be adjusted accordingly as well ....at least that's what I'm striving for.

Stopping water coming in is a little problematic, even if the shoe is 100% waterproof, if the user is not wearing a waterproof pants and socks, water will still enter from the top.. :|

Quick drying boot is possible to make, but only drying the boots.. period.. as for drying the feet and the socks of the user... well..that's something else :D

EDIT:
@student: looks like we're in the same field ;)

Last edited:
You mean there is still a pool of water inside the boots?

A couple of years back, I was having the same conversation with a ex-member of a special forces unit. He was interested in ordering a customized boots similar to the jungle boots.

He emphasized the placement of the drain holes, because he found that some jungle boots that he owned had the drain holes placed at the wrong spot and will not purge the water out of the boots.

Could this be the same case w/ your boots?

If it's not too much of a trouble, can you post a couple pics of your boots?
With one picture of the boot being worn on stepping position (to check for the drain hole placements)

I'll try out some of the boots I have as well, just to make sure.

I'll answer some in bold...

You mean there is still a pool of water inside the boots?
Not a very big pool or anything but you can feel it sloshing around in there.

A couple of years back, I was having the same conversation with a ex-member of a special forces unit. He was interested in ordering a customized boots similar to the jungle boots.

He emphasized the placement of the drain holes, because he found that some jungle boots that he owned had the drain holes placed at the wrong spot and will not purge the water out of the boots.
Yes I think that was the case of my boots.

Could this be the same case w/ your boots?
The pair I currently own do not have drainage holes in them. There were some in the past that did but I don't have them anymore.

If it's not too much of a trouble, can you post a couple pics of your boots?
With one picture of the boot being worn on stepping position (to check for the drain hole placements)
Well I don't have the ones with the drainage holes anymore but I think I remember that it had four holes by the heel, and maybe another six running in pairs down the length of the rest of my foot.

I'll try out some of the boots I have as well, just to make sure.

Korea is mountains and rivers, mountains and rivers, mountains and rivers. I guess you'll know why I get so pissed off about getting water in my boots. There is a way to get around this but it's a little cumbersome.
You always carry two sets of boots. One will always stay wet and the other one, you'll keep dry (plastic bags). Before a river crossing in a defensible area where it's suitable for changing socks, you change your dry boots and socks out and change with your wet socks and boots. You'll just have to march miserable for a while until you hit the river, ford it and then continue on marching miserable until your next boot and sock change.
Always make sure you got a few pair of socks and a towel easily reachable.

Different Needs of combat boots

There are combat boots for different terrain.
What would you say is the big difference between this boots and what are the basic characteristics for this boots.

Would be nice if you can describe a desert boot, jungle boot and mountain boot.

This would help me alot so understand the different needs you have in the different terrain.
:pirate2:

F*ck it....
green-full-length-wellington-boot--size-3-36.jpg

F*ck it....
green-full-length-wellington-boot--size-3-36.jpg

hahahahahahah...for the first time since i signed up this forum i give a reply, and i give a reply to this pic, hahahhahahahaha, this is hillarious i think, kindda heck of a boot hahahhahahaha, im pissin my self laughin at this pic, wonder if a private use this boot with a military pants and a helmet...hahhahahahaha

You will never have dry feet in a wet environment
You just need to see to your feet whenever you can.
In the wet season in VN, we walked in ankle to chest deep water for days at a time.
Those vents let is as much water as they squeeze out.

Whenever we could, we would stop and take off the boots and socks and detach the leeches.

At the time only one type of boot was issued and you worked around it.

Your feet would get all white and wrinkly and skin would come off.

We knew it was going to get tough, but we just dealt with it.

If you have waterproof gear, then you have sweat buldup.

Back