Future Allies

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
My dad was transporting German POW's to POW camps before VE Day, when one said to him, "One day we will be allies against the Russians, you wait and see." My dad replied, "Dunno about that mate, but lets get this war over with first."

Who in all honesty would have seriously thought it would happen in 1945?

Last edited:
My dad was transporting German POW's to POW camps before VE Day, when one said to him, "One day we will be allies against the Russians, you wait and see." My dad replied, "Dunno about that mate, but lets get this war over with first."

My uncle who was a Danish naval officer was at the end of 1945 part of a joint Danish English unit whose mission it was to investigate the German maritime radar stations in Denmark. There were some German officers who taught them how to use the equipment.

The German officers were very friendly and helpful and at one point one of the Germans says to my uncle: In 10 years time we will be fighting on the same side against the Soviet Bolsheviks.

Short answer to good question: No-one!

Last edited:
Patton & probably others saw the Russian threat, quite a number of Germans were reportedly helped/hidden in case they & thier expertise might be needed if things went badly with the Russians.

George.

Of course I was answering only for Britain 1945 and the general attitude of the population to dear old Uncle Joe (Stalin) i well remember the political cartoons representing Santa with his Xmas sack and the caption ' Give Uncle Joe the Atom Bomb for Xmas' - referring not to sending him a missile but to passing over to him the secret details and plans! As a reward gift!

Yep - Uncle Joe was a warm old hero then! We went for that hook, line and sinker.

I believe though that Churchill had warned of the dangers; he was voted out of office at that time and Labour took over Government for some years of severe austerity and fellow- travelling of Moscow.

Last edited:
George.

Of course I was answering only for Britain 1945 and the general attitude of the population to dear old Uncle Joe (Stalin) i well remember the political cartoons representing Santa with his Xmas sack and the caption ' Give Uncle Joe the Atom Bomb for Xmas' - referring not to sending him a missile but to passing over to him the secret details and plans! As a reward gift!

Yep - Uncle Joe was a warm old hero then! We went for that hook, line and sinker.

I believe though that Churchill had warned of the dangers; he was voted out of office at that time and Labour took over Government for some years of severe austerity and fellow- travelling of Moscow.

Churchill sussed the bugger out and warned of his designs on Europe. The labour government gave the Soviets a gift of 25 (+/-) Rolls Royce latest jet engines, which powered the MIG15

There were many rumors in 1945 that Germany would surrender to the Western Allies, and then together continue the fight against the Soviets.

But like everything else in the Third Reich - an illusion.

There were many rumors in 1945 that Germany would surrender to the Western Allies, and then together continue the fight against the Soviets.

But like everything else in the Third Reich - an illusion.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if the Western Allies including Germany had turned against Soviet Russia. But I would assume that by the time the war came to an end in Europe, people had enough of war and just wanted peace.

When Russia invaded Finland (the Winter War) there was a very serious chance that GB and France might have gone to war with Russia. Remember that Russia was a German Ally at the time. If Germany had provided more support to the Finns - allowing them to hold out longer - and not invaded Norway and Denmark history might be different.

Last edited:
When Russia invaded Finland (the Winter War) there was a very serious chance that GB and France might have gone to war with Russia. Remember that Russia was a German Ally at the time. If Germany had provided more support to the Finns - allowing them to hold out longer - and not invaded Norway and Denmark history might be different.

There was a post regarding this very subject.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if the Western Allies including Germany had turned against Soviet Russia. But I would assume that by the time the war came to an end in Europe, people had enough of war and just wanted peace.

I think we discussed this at length somewhere else and the general consensus was that had it happened between 1939-1944 Soviet Russia would have disappeared, had it happened 1944-1945 France would be speaking Russian.

In my opinion by 1945 the only things that could have slowed the Russian advance westward was the allied air force and Russian logistics.

Back