Funny thing about terrorists

And don't forget, although not in the thousands like the Americans, quite a number of Australians died in the World Trade centre buildings too.

I think you could say we have the same feelings about the Bali bombings as the Americans do about Sept 11.

Terrorists organizations require lots of money, smart planning, a fair amount of manpower and materials, all for the cause of trying to get mankind to hate each other.

What a complete waste of all of the above!

Re: Re-Funny thing about terrorists

Doc.S said:
To be a patriot, I think a person need to look further then what the gov may be putting in our mouths, and what the main stream media are paid to show us, (Both Democratic and Republic News that is) And when it comes to the leftwing propaganda, free TV talks about libertys. That is something the leftwing never will understand.

[....]

guys can tell me if they ever crossed that 50 yard line or not. If not you can turn round and put the pillow over you head and go back to sleep. Whatever you do... Dont let them tread on your libertys anymore. My point is that after some years of retrospect and reflection you begin to think more clearly.

Well said. What the terrorists really do is to provide governments the justification to obliterate our democratic liberties. A democracy is a form of government where the individuals are supposed to control the administration, not the opposite.

Sorry Jack, that is a falsity. Osama never sat in his cave thinking "EUREKA! I've figured out how to force the Americans to not allow nail clippers on airplanes. Victory will be mine!"

No, the whole islamacist movement is predicated on the notion that America specifically, and western countries in general are paper tigers. The people are weak and cannot stand up for a fight. Their case-in-point was Somolia where America pulled out after losing 19 men, even after killing over 1,000 enemies; the lesson is bloody America and the people will cry to bring their boys home.

The miscalculation is that there is a big difference between how Americans act when their boys are hurt in a foreign land in peacetime and how Americans react when they watch their civilian brothers duying by the thousands on their homeland.

Countries rise and fall but the US will never lay down and quit. If that is in anyone's mind you are laboring under a huge false delusion.

Whispering Death said:
Sorry Jack, that is a falsity. Osama never sat in his cave thinking "EUREKA! I've figured out how to force the Americans to not allow nail clippers on airplanes. Victory will be mine!"

No, the whole islamacist movement is predicated on the notion that America specifically, and western countries in general are paper tigers. The people are weak and cannot stand up for a fight. Their case-in-point was Somolia where America pulled out after losing 19 men, even after killing over 1,000 enemies; the lesson is bloody America and the people will cry to bring their boys home.

I agree with what you say. Of course Laden's target is not to defy the westerners of their liberties. Perhaps after an event like 9/11 every measure taken to suppress terrorism seems logical, nomatter how un-liberal it might be. I especially agree on what you say about paper tigers, but I fear that terrorism has become a paper tiger in its own right. For example, in my country which has never been the target of any muslim-fundamentalist terrorist attack (at least in the last two decades), the same law enforcement acts have been voted as in most other european countries, and by the way, most of them are clear violations of our constitution. And I don't mean about nail clippers on plains, I mean that never before did the law enforcers had the right to enter someone's house WITHOUT a DA warrant, but just on the hint of suspicion, and a hint of suspicion is very easy to forge. I mean laws on allowing the state to systematically violate individual privacy, even in his house. I have not studied te act thoroughly but there must be much more to it.

As you understand, from the anti-terrorist point of view all these seem logical and useful, and truth is they are. HOWEVER, these same laws might be used for reasons very different than anti-terrorist protection. Political intrigue, easy gagging of journalists or other anti-government voices, etc etc.
We are talking about big stuff here, stuff that could strip all the essence of the word "democracy" away, while it would still be called that way. In a democracy the most basic, fundamental, necessary qualities there must be is freedom of speech and privacy. Without that you have no democracy, period.
Suddenly, one realizes that a prime-minister, a president, or even a police high ranker can become much more powerful than he should be.

For me, all the above are much greater dangers for a citizen than a potential terrorist attack. I mean, for christ sake, traffic accidents are first cause of death in the ages of 18-40 in almost all western countries. Imagine all that money spent on antiterrorist equipment and personnel spent on obligatory driving lessons, safety equipment both on and off vehicle... The point is car accidents don't defy any authority, so its easy for the guys with power to just ignore this or just pretend to be doing something ...

Missileer said:
Countries rise and fall but the US will never lay down and quit. If that is in anyone's mind you are laboring under a huge false delusion.

These are big words you said. Even 1000 years empires will have to go through their 1000dth year and then fall. History was full of great empires which when realised they were great arrogance took over and arrogance is as sure to bring down an empire as a bullet through the brain to bring down a man. The sweet sense of power and infallability... THIS is delusion mate... Think of what the Greeks would feel like after Alexander united the whole of southwest Asia under his grasp. Think of what the Romans would feel like when the Roman empire stretched from one edge of the European continent to the other. Think of the Huns, think of Byzantium, think of the Ottoman, think of think of.... History is repeated because history is forgotten. And you seem to have forgotten.

Jack_Mordino said:
Missileer said:

These are big words you said. Even 1000 years empires will have to go through their 1000dth year and then fall. History was full of great empires which when realised they were great arrogance took over and arrogance is as sure to bring down an empire as a bullet through the brain to bring down a man. The sweet sense of power and infallability... THIS is delusion mate... Think of what the Greeks would feel like after Alexander united the whole of southwest Asia under his grasp. Think of what the Romans would feel like when the Roman empire stretched from one edge of the European continent to the other. Think of the Huns, think of Byzantium, think of the Ottoman, think of think of.... History is repeated because history is forgotten. And you seem to have forgotten.

And you, my boy, can't read or if you can, can't understand what you read. I didn't say anything about America never falling but not laying down and quitting beforehand. All the wordy history is appreciated but I've already read and know it, probably while you were in diapers.

Oh yes I can read, indeed very well. There is a differnece between "The US will never lay down and quit" and "Coutries rise and fall but the US will never lay down and quit" The meaning is totally different. Just for boasting sake, I got ablsolutely top marks (above the "exceptional" margin) in my Reading Comprehension (and Writing, for that matter) subtest in the English Proficiency exam. And let me assure you, a lot of native english speakers would have difficulty understanding the subtlest of meanings in those texts.
And about me being in my dipers when you read and learnt history:
Perhaps it is true but what's the point? People who think they are wise because they are old usually are the opposite. And the "I 've already read and know it" is still a big claim. You know it all? That IS an achievement, boy, you impress me...

Let me remind you of the rule on flaming people and Countries. I suggest you read them.

How about letting us know a little more about you. There is not much in your profile.

Gentlemen, now lets calm down and try to have a civilized conversation here!

And I agree with Missileer, I would appreciate an intro post by you in the Welcoming centre Jack_Mordino.
It's a bit easier (and better) to know at least a tiny bit about the person(s) you are dicussing with..

Now let's continue on topic here from now on.

Thanks.

Missileer said:
Let me remind you of the rule on flaming people and Countries. I suggest you read them.

How about letting us know a little more about you. There is not much in your profile.

I had ABSOLUTELY no intention to flame any country. Absolutely. My response would have been exactly the same nomatter what your nationality would be. I don't care the least bit which country is the greatest today as it is sure that Greece has long past its days of glory. So please don't take it patriotic, I just like to see things a bit "phislosophical" and my response was aimed towards the meaning and not the label of your post. And I'd like to keep available information about me as little as possible as I want to be judged by what I say and not by what pedigrees I have under my belt. I will provide some information but I'm a bit short of time at the moment.

Redleg said:
Gentlemen, now lets calm down and try to have a civilized conversation here!

And I agree with Missileer, I would appreciate an intro post by you in the Welcoming centre Jack_Mordino.
It's a bit easier (and better) to know at least a tiny bit about the person(s) you are dicussing with..

Now let's continue on topic here from now on.

Thanks.

Got it Redleg, It's just a misunderstanding of content and meaning which happens here sometimes.

Redleg said:
Thanks.

I posted an introductory post of myself on the welcoming center, "a member from Greece"

Jack_Mordino said:
I agree with what you say. Of course Laden's target is not to defy the westerners of their liberties. Perhaps after an event like 9/11 every measure taken to suppress terrorism seems logical, nomatter how un-liberal it might be. I especially agree on what you say about paper tigers, but I fear that terrorism has become a paper tiger in its own right. For example, in my country which has never been the target of any muslim-fundamentalist terrorist attack (at least in the last two decades), the same law enforcement acts have been voted as in most other european countries, and by the way, most of them are clear violations of our constitution. And I don't mean about nail clippers on plains, I mean that never before did the law enforcers had the right to enter someone's house WITHOUT a DA warrant, but just on the hint of suspicion, and a hint of suspicion is very easy to forge. I mean laws on allowing the state to systematically violate individual privacy, even in his house. I have not studied te act thoroughly but there must be much more to it.

As you understand, from the anti-terrorist point of view all these seem logical and useful, and truth is they are. HOWEVER, these same laws might be used for reasons very different than anti-terrorist protection. Political intrigue, easy gagging of journalists or other anti-government voices, etc etc.
We are talking about big stuff here, stuff that could strip all the essence of the word "democracy" away, while it would still be called that way. In a democracy the most basic, fundamental, necessary qualities there must be is freedom of speech and privacy. Without that you have no democracy, period.
Suddenly, one realizes that a prime-minister, a president, or even a police high ranker can become much more powerful than he should be.

For me, all the above are much greater dangers for a citizen than a potential terrorist attack. I mean, for christ sake, traffic accidents are first cause of death in the ages of 18-40 in almost all western countries. Imagine all that money spent on antiterrorist equipment and personnel spent on obligatory driving lessons, safety equipment both on and off vehicle... The point is car accidents don't defy any authority, so its easy for the guys with power to just ignore this or just pretend to be doing something ...

That is some scary :cen: . I didn't know about these disturbing developments in Greece. I know that in the UK they can arrest you indefinitely without trial if you are a "terrorist suspect" and in Germany they made it easier for the government to spy on telecommunication of citizens (phone, e-mail etc...)

Back