full body armour suit ready for trials in Iraq

-No plates in the legs because the legs usually dont stick out of the turret-

There was a CPP that was hit by a VBIED here and the entire crew survived but was pretty rattled. The vehicle was blown back 40 feet. Survivability is getting better and better. Our own gun trucks were hit by a daisy chain. Noone was injured and the vehicles blew straight through. The only thing that hurt anyone was it got one man to start smoking lol. Now the CROWS system is in country and will be started to be given out to increase survivability of soldiers. Better body armor, better protection and reduction of danger to the troops, they are doing what they can for us over here as far as protection. We lost a soldier in our BN to an IED because of hillbilly armor on an old 916. The armor sustained the blast but a piece of the blast went over the angled window piece and under the kevlar rim. Now new armor is showing up for the 923's. If they want to cover the body with armor, they really should do something for the legs for the dismounts. Im not a dismount, Im a gunner on a gun truck, would the dismounts want the extra armor for protection, or would it be a considerable burden with the added weight?

soldierzhonor said:
would the dismounts want the extra armor for protection, or would it be a considerable burden with the added weight?

I'd rather be able to run.

Whispering Death said:
Basically what I'm saying is that the suit is supposed to offer protection when outside the vehicle. If the entire vehicle is destroyed than obviously the body armor isn't supposed to defend against that level of threat.

I was under the impression that the armor was for the gunners while they were mounted. If this were for protection while dismounted it wouldn't be 40 lbs, it wouldn't have AC, and it wouldn't be so restrictive.

In my spare time I've been inventing things. Some things even, for saving the needless killing in Iraq. I've even built working prototypes, though crude, they work.

Unfortunatly America, China, and other countries to my knowledge, have an addiction to oil, and only listen to other wealthy countries.

If you soldiers who fight wars need armor, and are tired of seeing your friends head getting blown off, then you should tell your leaders they should invest in the science of powered armor, or PASD. (Personal Armored Security Device) This would be great for the soldiers protecting someone important.

Powered for motion assist. Your basic soldier wouldn't be able to move it without it.

The above is something I thought up of, and made. It's not apart of my government because it's useless to us, but I see it's perfect for you "second*" world countries out there.

* joke

I'm not just talking about upper armor. I'm talking full armor. A full inch thick of plated steel that encloses the entire body. Heads up display shows statistics of the armor.

I guess the bad thing is you wouldn't be able to get out easy.

I suppose. Maybe I'll give my invention over to a country I feel has used there assets wisely. I don't want any profit from it though. Money is useless here.

No. At least the kind I have made is not what he's wearing.

The PASD looks like a large armored robot. It's like putting on a suit of armor, from the middle ages. Your "squire" helps you into the machine, helping you make sure your legs are tight in the machine, then your arms. They then lower your computer console (helmet) on your head and latch it down to the suit.

The suit takes time getting used to, but it's worth it. With the computer measuring the gravity and the muscle strength in the users legs it gives the user the ability to jump alot higher. We also did strength assisting test. The test was able to lift what a max weight a folk lift could easy.

bulldogg said:
I think I have played this game, Halo right? :lol:

Halo... That s a good concept. Maybe someone is coming out with a suit like his.

The suit I came up with, I took the concept from that old computer game. Mech warrior. just a smaller scale. You can laugh, but don't you think that scientist have thought out of the box. These wright brothers, how do you think they got started on such a "Science fictional" idea. But now we have airplanes jets.

I don't expect not to be flamed about my little invention but after all, weren't the wright brothers "flamed" for theirs. ;)

Joke's over, Misazeno, discuss your "inventions" in the Jokes or General Chit Chat forums, any further posts in this thread or on the Military Discussions forum concerning them will be considered spam and treated as such.

Whispering Death said:
hicks said:
Well, that's awesome and all, but it still won't protect them from IEDs when it destroys the entire vehicle.

And an M1A2 won't protect you from a direct hit from a nuclear bomb. What's your point?

direct hit? Dear Lord no. If it was a close one, like maybe five miles you might survive.

This armor seems to me like a waste, I know the turret gunner needs protection, but an entire armor suit?

i find wearing body armor in combat somewhat bulky. if it wont stop armor piercing rounds y wear them. it'll lower ur maneuverability and ur a bigger target.

I dont know if anyone is reading this topic anymore, but I'll put in my opinion.
Body armor is something that is only good in moderation. This full body suit idea is ridiculous. I'm a sniper section leader in an infantry battalion. In order to do my job correctly, I need to be able to move comfortably, and more importantly, quickly. Now, that's hard enough, just wearing an IBA (vest with ballistic panels), a helmet, weapon, a basic load of ammunition, and all your other assorted equipment. When you start adding more armor, all you're doing is slowing down the soldier, causing him to be visible by the enemy longer, causing that soldier to be wounded, maybe killed. " Less is More" should definately be the rule.

Back