full body armour suit ready for trials in Iraq - Page 2

--

June 3rd, 2005  
gladius

Its about time they have something like this (although this is still a primitive version of full body armor). I've been hoping for a while that they would develop this.

This would certainly come in handy in any future world war, especially in the advent of an EMP strike.
June 3rd, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog
It ways in at 40 lbs. Is that heavy?

PS I'm not being sarcastic or anything
I have had the unfortunate pleasure of wearing the old style of body armour in Kosovo. That crap weights in at around 40 lbs. Add that to your combat load and life was not too fun for a dismounded patrol. The weight alone does not make the suit not worthy for dismount patrols. The new suit is really bulky. THat means you are going to be really hot in it and movement will be restricted. The AC unit keeps the suit cold and the suit is restricted to turret gunners.
June 3rd, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius
Its about time they have something like this (although this is still a primitive version of full body armor). I've been hoping for a while that they would develop this.

This would certainly come in handy in any future world war, especially in the advent of an EMP strike.
Would an EMP strike effect a human?
--
June 3rd, 2005  
gladius

No EMP will not affect a human (for the most part).

But it will affect electronic circuits.

Body armor doesn't have electronic circuits (unless you count the cooling unit). This will still enable Western troops to fight with a slight advantage even if their electronic weapons are somehow out of commision.

Future versions of full body armor should be lighter and may not even need a cooling unit. However its good to have a cooling and heating unit for such armor, but its use shouldn't be dependent on the unit.
June 4th, 2005  
hicks

Well, that's awesome and all, but it still won't protect them from IEDs when it destroys the entire vehicle.
June 5th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks
Well, that's awesome and all, but it still won't protect them from IEDs when it destroys the entire vehicle.

And an M1A2 won't protect you from a direct hit from a nuclear bomb. What's your point?
June 5th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicks
Most IEDs just flip the vehicle over, not really hurting anyone inside. The turret gunners on the top get absolutely shredded though
June 5th, 2005  
hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death

And an M1A2 won't protect you from a direct hit from a nuclear bomb. What's your point?
My point is that's their biggest threat right now.
June 5th, 2005  
hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Most IEDs just flip the vehicle over, not really hurting anyone inside. The turret gunners on the top get absolutely shredded though
Most IEDs aren't as effective as planned, but there's a good percentage of soldiers who have been injured while inside the vehicle.

My best friend has been lucky, but hit by two IEDs and the second time it busted his ear drum and it started bleeding... minor yes. Could have been worse.

Two more buddies of mine...

One hit an IED and killed everybody in the vehicle but him. He fractured 3 ribs, busted his skull open and took mad shrapnel.

The other one, his driver lost his legs and it's been over a year and my buddy is still having surgery on his legs.
June 5th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Basically what I'm saying is that the suit is supposed to offer protection when outside the vehicle. If the entire vehicle is destroyed than obviously the body armor isn't supposed to defend against that level of threat.